Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Winter Photography - desparato

  1. #1

    Default Winter Photography - desparato

    I am planning a trip to Hokkaido (at ski resort) over Christmas .
    Read about all the problems with malfunctioninig of camera and battery, and condensation in extreme coldness.

    Will you out there be kind enough to advise me on:
    1. What is the right equipment to bring, camera and lenses;
    2. what are the misc necessities, to keep camera dry and warm in snowy environment, and where I can acquire them;
    3. what is the technique involved in winter photography(I know it mey be too much to ask), WB adjustment necessary and how?

    May be I should just consider .... laying off the clicking...?

    Thanking you in advance.

    Esther

  2. #2

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Errr... Read again. The condensation comes when you bring it from cold into warm. Same as what happens to specs.

    1. camera and lenses: whichever camera you have, whichever lens you think you'll use the most.
    2. Bring a basic camera bag to protect it from rain. You DO NOT want to keep your camera warm outside; let it adjust to the temperature and it'll work fine. Bring along an extra batter and keep that battery warm (inside pocket close to your body) as it is the batteries that perform poorly in super cold weather.
    3. Point, shoot, enjoy... Your camera should have a winter/snow setting. You may need to adjust your exposure. A quick google search (you DID search, right?) reveals some useful sites:

    http://weather.thefuntimesguide.com/...r_pictures.php

    http://www.aguntherphotography.com/t...in-Winter.html
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Errr... Read again. The condensation comes when you bring it from cold into warm. Same as what happens to specs.

    http://weather.thefuntimesguide.com/...r_pictures.php

    http://www.aguntherphotography.com/t...in-Winter.html
    Thanks. Will go through the sites (21 tips in total).
    Will the repeated condensation (from -4C to 20+C) damage the camera body or lenses?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by Estherfu View Post
    Thanks. Will go through the sites (21 tips in total).
    Will the repeated condensation (from -4C to 20+C) damage the camera body or lenses?
    Only if you do it non-stop and never let the camera dry out. What I did on my last trip to a cold climate was to leave my camera in my camera bag when i went indoors. This allowed it to adjust to the temperature slowly, thus avoiding condensation.
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Only if you do it non-stop and never let the camera dry out. What I did on my last trip to a cold climate was to leave my camera in my camera bag when i went indoors. This allowed it to adjust to the temperature slowly, thus avoiding condensation.
    Thanks. My apologies, more related Qs:
    1.The lens surface condenses even in Singapore when we get out from aircond room. Is it advisable to dry the lens surface immediately or just need to wait for it to clear?
    2. If the camera/lens get wet from snow, does it help to use hair dryer to dry them ASAP? Some form of plastic cover (seal for snorkeling) was recommended for snowy condition. Do you think it's necessary?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    The camera might be tricked into capturing the white snow as grey. So you would need to do some exposure compensation (+EV).

  7. #7

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    The camera might be tricked into capturing the white snow as grey. So you would need to do some exposure compensation (+EV).
    I've got a D80. Do I set the WB to direct sunlight with EV +, and roughly what range, 0-1.0 or more?
    There is also adjustment within the WB +3 to -3, do I touch that at all?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    OK, I am going to put my neck out and give some values.

    Take note that they are only to be taken as a rough gauge.

    For very bright , clean, sunlit snow under a blue sky,+3EV

    In cloudy bright conditions,+2EV.

    For snow in open shade with bright day, +1EV.

    For gray snow on overcast day, add +1 EV.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    White balance, I think you can set it to auto, but shoot RAW.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    OK, I am going to put my neck out and give some values.

    Take note that they are only to be taken as a rough gauge.
    Thank you very much Ahbian ge.
    You have been very helpful. Another kind soul.
    For a newbie, I usually need some values as a guide to start off ( slow and not much feel) to minimise stress and errors. Everyone wants to take good pic but the road between "wanting" and "getting" can be long and tortous. You ( and GC) certainly have helped to reduce detours for me.
    Don't worry about your neck. I know of excellent ortho and neuro surgeons. Promise to join it back if it gets amputated. (may be I'll extract some brain juice while they are at work).
    OK, it will be Raw, besides the sashimi in Hokkaido this December.
    esther

    What is the incidence of DSLR malfunctioning in minus zero environment?

  11. #11
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    if you have the expodisc, then bring it along, very useful when shooting in snowing places as you need to get the white balance right...
    if dun have and willing to spend, then can consider getting it

  12. #12

    Talking Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888 View Post
    if you have the expodisc, then bring it along, very useful when shooting in snowing places as you need to get the white balance right...
    if dun have and willing to spend, then can consider getting it
    Dear Eric, Hm...what's that?! I only know of slipped disc and optic disc.....
    esther

  13. #13

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888 View Post
    if you have the expodisc, then bring it along, very useful when shooting in snowing places as you need to get the white balance right...
    if dun have and willing to spend, then can consider getting it
    Thought if it's snow all round you could just use the snow to WB. No?

  14. #14
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by Estherfu View Post
    Dear Eric, Hm...what's that?! I only know of slipped disc and optic disc.....
    esther
    Ai yo Esther ur occupational humor not easy to digest

    The preset white balance on DSLR is an estimate. The AutoWB might not give the right guess either. Like what lsisaxon mentioned you can get a custom WB by directing the camera at a clean patch of snow ( not shadowed else the WB may be thrown off )

    The Expodisc is a pretty expensive piece of plastic to help get a fairly accurate white balance for the scenes. Actually it works well, but after a while I got lazy and I did not even bring it for my last trip.

    Here is a scene with just abit of snow from the permafrost peaks of Daisetsuzan from my last trip. I got lazy, shot raw ( i think was set to cloudy ) and manipulated post processing.

    U will probably get to see the whole place in snow during ur trip



    Ryan

  15. #15

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Thought if it's snow all round you could just use the snow to WB. No?
    I will try that method. The early morning sun is usually good and I will try to Zero the WB then. (just asked GC for instruction, think he'll oblige)
    Not keen to get more gadgets 'cos it's going to be very cold and snowy. And my cloved fingers will be extra clumpsy.
    Thanks Isisaxon.
    esther

  16. #16

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    The Expodisc is a pretty expensive piece of plastic to help get a fairly accurate white balance for the scenes. Actually it works well, but after a while I got lazy and I did not even bring it for my last trip.
    Ryan
    I shall refrained from getting infected by you - The Equipment Bug. You seem to have almost everything....Shall we buy D300 for indoor shoots? Say yes and I'll get one for X'mas..

    Thanks for explaining and your photo is "killing". I think I want to give up......

    esther

  17. #17
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    hi esther,

    the expo disc one of the most amazing thing you can get if you are looking for correct colours, albeit a very expensive thing too.... ha ha
    if you shoot jpg, this will save your shots...
    if you shoot raw, you will still want to get the WB right, so less work later on...
    if you are into photography, you want want to invest long term for this, else metering on snow and crank up the EV....

  18. #18

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888 View Post
    hi esther,

    the expo disc one of the most amazing thing you can get if you are looking for correct colours, albeit a very expensive thing too.... ha ha
    if you shoot jpg, this will save your shots...
    if you shoot raw, you will still want to get the WB right, so less work later on...
    if you are into photography, you want want to invest long term for this, else metering on snow and crank up the EV....
    Dear Eric
    I will seriously consider your suggestion. But:
    1. I am a "typical woman" (other women may disagree) - can change (my mind) hobby any time type.
    2. Aiyah, loss too much $ in investment....better refrain from spending on accessories for awhile. Unless feeling kind to the my friends at Lords.
    Thanks again. Will let you know the severity of damage when I return from the snowy mountains.
    esther

  19. #19
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    ha ha.... right.... esp with the economy so bad.....

  20. #20

    Default Re: Winter Photography - desparato

    Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888 View Post
    ha ha.... right.... esp with the economy so bad.....
    but shopping....is a good solution to depression..a temporary one...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •