Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 5 mega-pixel prosumer camera (but I'm an amateur photographer who want to learn), but can't decide which one. I'm considering the Nikon 5700, Sony F717 and Canon G5. I'm upgrading from Olympus C3040Z, and while the 3040Z gave me great pictures, I hate the slow startup and poor battery life, and better zoom would've been great. I've made the following considerations:
+ great startup speed
+ great battery
+ excellent image quality
+ seems to have lots of nice features - histogram, infrared etc
- huge barrel / cumbersome
- hate the memory stick which is so expensive (I prefer CF)
- 'only' 5x zoom compared to 5700 or Dimage
- no support for raw format
+ support for raw format
+ (?) alot of hype about the canon digic chip -> not sure if this really means anything or just advertisement crap.
+ better footprint (size) compared to Sony F717
+ support for CF (which is much cheaper than MS)
- Heard that there is some distortion or chromatic abberation (purple outline)
- limited zoom
? not sure abt the quality of picture -> any advise?
+ Better zoom
+ quality is supposed to be quite good
+ smaller footprint than Sony F717
- apparently slower startup time (but I'm not sure how much slower)
- Some distortions, I heard
I'll like to hear from real owners of these 3 cameras, as to what they like and dislike about these cameras. Any other advise too will be appreciated.
Once again, I'm just a newbie, so I appreciate your help!