Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sports Photography - Need Help!

Jed, thank u so much for yr insightful posts. I am really touched! Now I have no further questions to ask but probably raise some more after practising at bird park in this weekend. Hope those birds would be cooperative and pose nicely for mi
    Last edited by tomshen; 3rd May 2002 at 05:37 PM.

Wah, 400mm is "shortish".
    Must stack my TC's from now on.
    Need to practise manual focussing anyway.

Originally posted by tomshen
    Jed, thank u so much for yr insightful posts. I am really touched! Now I have no further questions to ask but probably raise some more after practising at bird park in this weekend. Hope those birds would be cooperative and pose nicely for mi
    a dartgun with tranquilizer usually helps to slow the birds down...

you should try waiting for the feeding times... at least they stay in one spot long enough to get food. better than trying to catch them mid-flight.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    200mm is short
    300mm is shortish
    400mm is shortish
    560mm is getting there
    800mm and it's longish
    1200mm is long
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Originally posted by Trevor_Tan
    No it don't reset every time. I have to set it back to normal or change to another setting.

Yes, I tried that out last night when talking to CK about it.

For me, I still can't grap hold of it hence i find it easy to use flexi as I am not allowed to choose shutter speed that the aperture can't compensate (or the other way round) to maintain the correct exposure.

Actually, aperture priority and shutter priority both allow you to do what you're describing. It's only manual that you can mess up.

I just find it good for begainner as you can a correct exposure picture and still can know the effect on how shutter and aperture value affect the pictures.

As above, you will probably learn more using aperture priority and shutter priority because you have to consciously set the value.

Maybe the electrical power require for the gear, motor (or what ever) to keep turning the lens in focus.

Not any more than using the lens in continuous autofocus. Using the camera like that at a 90minute game is no problem, a pan doesn't last longer than a few seconds... I wouldn't imagine it makes a great difference on the overall scheme of things.

Err, correct me if I'm wrong, so u are saying that if the flash is not ready, the camera will still take the shot.

Nope, that's right.

And will flash again when the flash is charged?

Yes. Obviously, not 10s after you take the shot, but when you next take a shot and it's ready to go.

I don't use flash is that I though that with flash the camera will always wait for the flash to re-charge b4 taking another shots, and by the time it rechange action gone liao (or at least miss few action in between).

No, not true.

Not at all, good luck!

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    Yes, 400mm is shortish. In fact, it's short. 200mm is too short for any real wildlife work, even in the zoos, as a general rule. 300mm is the shortest you could consider for wildlife work, for animals. 600 is really the shortest you can consider for any birds, other than tame ones, or huge ones like ostriches, and to a lesser extent geese and pelicans.

Originally posted by Jed
    Yes, 400mm is shortish. In fact, it's short. 200mm is too short for any real wildlife work, even in the zoos, as a general rule. 300mm is the shortest you could consider for wildlife work, for animals. 600 is really the shortest you can consider for any birds, other than tame ones, or huge ones like ostriches, and to a lesser extent geese and pelicans.
    I know this is the truth, but I can't help dropping my eyeballs and wondering when to rob my grandma (as someone put it b4)

I found I like wilde life photograhy. Now the 70-200 is on my camrea most of the time even though it's bulky and heavy. hmm... maybe my next dream lens is: 400mm/f2.8, haa

Tom, if you get a 1.4X and a 2X teleconverter, you can stack them to get 560mm with your 70-200mm. If you take into consideration the 1.6 conversion factor of the D60, that's 896mm. Only problem is that AF does not work very well, so you'll probably have to rely on manual focus, but that will make you feel like a pro, anyway.

If AF is very important to you, just using the 2X teleconverter with your 70-200 will give you 400mm at f5.6 (and AF is still very fast with this combo on the D30). With the 1.6 factor, that's actually a 640mm lens.

BTW the Sigma 2X teleconverter is only $280 at AP.

Yup streetshooter, I will test the 2x TC this Sunday (maybe borrow from Bluestrike again). Last time I didn't get sharp pix from 2x TC. I think the major reason was due to my old tripod (SLIK U8000). Now I have upgraded tripod (Mamiya A701 + FOBA ballhead). Hope it would help me get sharper shots. For serious bird photography, investing on a shortish or longish prime lens is worthwhile. But I don't think it would be any time in the near future.

BTW, D60's 6MB helps here coz there is much bigger room for cropping. That's why for those dont have a DSLR, the new generation is likely a better choice due to more pixels.

I found I like wilde life photograhy.
    Erm, no offense, but it's not wildlife photography you like, it's zoo and birdpark photography you like. I'd give wildlife photography a try before you make up your mind, it's quite a different kettle of fish!

Originally posted by Jed
    Erm, no offense, but it's not wildlife photography you like, it's zoo and birdpark photography you like. I'd give wildlife photography a try before you make up your mind, it's quite a different kettle of fish!
    kekeke, yeah... this is so-called wild life

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123