Thread: Taking pictures in the stadium

Default Taking pictures in the stadium

Hi guys, i am wondering if i am going to take pictures in a stadium with bright sunlight around 10am. I need to use a high shutter to "Freeze" the students who are competing on the track. However a high shutter such as 1/200 might result in a dark picture. I own a 55-250mm IS lens, decent enough for a zoom but whats the best way to capture these students in action?

Setting the ISO to 800 or more might be workable, however i want the best quality possible.

Any one experience taking pictures of atheletics who are competing in the stadium? Any reccomended settings?

Thanks.

Default Re: Taking pictures in the stadium

If you want to freeze motion, you may have to go faster than that. It is impossible to say what aperture you will have to use in order to freeze motion in relation to your shutter speed, but don't be afraid of boosting your ISO; you really aren't going to get much noise actually, if your image is largely well-exposed with little shadow area.

Quote Originally Posted by mercy81 View Post
    Hi guys, i am wondering if i am going to take pictures in a stadium with bright sunlight around 10am. I need to use a high shutter to "Freeze" the students who are competing on the track. However a high shutter such as 1/200 might result in a dark picture. I own a 55-250mm IS lens, decent enough for a zoom but whats the best way to capture these students in action?

Setting the ISO to 800 or more might be workable, however i want the best quality possible.

Any one experience taking pictures of atheletics who are competing in the stadium? Any reccomended settings?

Thanks.
    I do this quite abit. Assume you have your bright sunlight, or just normal sunlight, ISO100 F5.6 ... you should easily clear for 1/640 to 1/1000... I wouldn't be hesitant to use ISO 400 on a Canon. =)
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Thanks everyone, will try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mercy81 View Post

Thanks.
    best is to have more photographers on site in my opinion.

most of the time the results are Still photos where the background and subject are stuck in time.
    there is also result where subject is in focus and background is blur and vice versa.
    I photograph the dead.

if it's really bright sunlight, i think even 1/200s can result in an overexposed picture.

When you're under sun, i think the last problem you would have is underexposure. But if your pictures really turn out to be underexposed, then by all means, increase your iso.
    The best things in life are free.

yah.. in bright shots, ISO noise not that obvious, so its ok to increase to get higher shutter speeds..
    Pentax K100D Super