Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some basic questions...

Default Re: Some basic questions...

Quote Originally Posted by desertstrike View Post
    wah, thanks a lot,
    i try rephrase my question
    lets say i am look at a vase 3 meter away from me
    how do i determined what aperture i need? f/2, f/2.8, f/4?
    First: What do you want to achieve? Isolating the vase or embedding into surrounding? For isolation use aperture wide open, for embedding close aperture. By this you have already fixed one parameter. Now the shutter will follow accordingly the existing light and your ISO speed.
    My recommendation is: instead of starting from scratch every time you better focus on using the 2 major modes available for cameras: Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority. Use one of them according the parameter you need to control in order to get the desired result. The other parameter will be set by the cam to get proper exposure. If you run into limitations you can increase ISO speed. But this will be at the expense of picture noise.
    Something to read about the basics: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544
    Last edited by Octarine; 17th November 2008 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    That again depends on the points I have written on the DOF.

How do you decide if you need f/2 or f/2.8? The easiest way, take both shots, choose the one you like better using the computer screen.
    oh..... ok, thanks thanks :-D

oh i see, thanks
    hmm.. using this P mode, i can no longer set the aperture and shutter, but i can set the exposure compensation thing... is it the same for all camera?

P mode is full auto mode minus ISO auto setting. Hence you can only adj ISO (apart from Exposure compensation) but not aperture/shutter speed. Should be the same for all camera
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    First: What do you want to achieve? Isolating the vase or embedding into surrounding? For isolation use aperture wide open, for embedding close aperture. By this you have already fixed one parameter. Now the shutter will follow accordingly the existing light and your ISO speed.
    My recommendation is: instead of starting from scratch every time you better focus on using the 2 major modes available for cameras: Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority. Use one of them according the parameter you need to control in order to get the desired result. The other parameter will be set by the cam to get proper exposure. If you run into limitations you can increase ISO speed. But this will be at the expense of picture noise.
    Something to read about the basics: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544
    icic

In low-light conditions such as late afternoon, early evening, etc., you would need to use a tripod for long exposures. In such conditions, or if you're in a far-northerly or southerly country where light levels are generally low, a faster film speed will be called for, typically ISO 400.

Really low light conditions, say for night-time photography or to freeze the action at a concert would require using the faster ISO films such as ISO 1600 or ISO 3200.

i found this description of iso... so firstly i set aperture/shutter speed, then i set iso? i dun understand this part... if i have already set aperture/shutter speed, how do iso comes in?

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    P mode is full auto mode minus ISO auto setting. Hence you can only adj ISO (apart from Exposure compensation) but not aperture/shutter speed. Should be the same for all camera
    oh i see, thanks man

icic

In low-light conditions such as late afternoon, early evening, etc., you would need to use a tripod for long exposures. In such conditions, or if you're in a far-northerly or southerly country where light levels are generally low, a faster film speed will be called for, typically ISO 400.

Really low light conditions, say for night-time photography or to freeze the action at a concert would require using the faster ISO films such as ISO 1600 or ISO 3200.

i found this description of iso... so firstly i set aperture/shutter speed, then i set iso? i dun understand this part... if i have already set aperture/shutter speed, how do iso comes in?
    ISO speed describes the sensitivity of the recording medium (here: sensor). If you want to capture landscapes without moving objects you have all the time to keep ISO 100 and use a tripod. But if you want to capture moving objects and the existing light gives you a combination of let's say f/2.8 and 1/30s you can only increase ISO speed. By this the sensor becomes more sensitive and you can achieve faster shutter speeds, e.g. 1/60 or 1/120s. But bear in mind that this will also increase the sensor noise, it's a side effect of the amplification of electric signals in the sensors. To a certain extend it can be removed by software.
    Please read up on the newbies guide. You need to understand about recording of light and the parameters around it. Otherwise you don't understand much what we are telling you.
    Last edited by Octarine; 17th November 2008 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    That depends on the camera. Better check with the manual. I can adjust aperture as well on Canon 350D (most likely on other Canon cameras also).

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    ISO speed describes the sensitivity of the recording medium (here: sensor). If you want to capture landscapes without moving objects you have all the time to keep ISO 100 and use a tripod. But if you want to capture moving objects and the existing light gives you a combination of let's say f/2.8 and 1/30s you can only increase ISO speed. By this the sensor becomes more sensitive and you can achieve faster shutter speeds, e.g. 1/60 or 1/120s. But bear in mind that this will also increase the sensor noise, it's a side effect of the amplification of electric signals in the sensors. To a certain extend it can be removed by software.
    Please read up on the newbies guide. You need to understand about recording of light and the parameters around it. Otherwise you don't understand much what we are telling you.
    when u memtion that "achieve a faster shutter speed from 1/30 -> 1/60, does that means if i din adjust the iso setting, the max available on my digital camera is only 1/30 for f/2.8?

You can find answers to ALL your questions in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...6912943&sr=1-1.

when u memtion that "achieve a faster shutter speed from 1/30 -> 1/60, does that means if i din adjust the iso setting, the max available on my digital camera is only 1/30 for f/2.8?
    No, that is an example. The technically available shutter speeds are listed in your manual. The available shutter speeds to achieve a "proper exposure" always depend on the light, ISO speed and aperture value for the situation you are in. Please read up more.

i am using a 6 years old prosumer... dun think have A LIGHT METER
    Perhaps you are unaware, or have not read your camera's manual; it has a built in light meter.

oh ok... thanks guys...

wa, how come can make 6 year old prosumer sound like holga liddat one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12