Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar eclipse on 26 Jan 2009

Default Re: Solar eclipse on 26 Jan 2009

interesting, would like to see the photo later, will come back to this thread.

I am also interested to shoot Solar eclipse. Csers who has more info pls keep updating this thread.Thankssssssssssssssssss

So where to get the polymer filters and what focal length is recommended?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Somewhere between 1000mm and 2000mm for 35mm format.
    The mylar image was taken through a Celestron 8" sct, i.e. 2000mm focal length, while the black polymer image was taken through a Celestron 102mm refractor with 1000mm focal length.

Filters can be purchased at Astro Scientific Center at the Singapore Science Center, at least i got mine there back then.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    Somewhere between 1000mm and 2000mm for 35mm format.
    The mylar image was taken through a Celestron 8" sct, i.e. 2000mm focal length, while the black polymer image was taken through a Celestron 102mm refractor with 1000mm focal length.

Aiyohhh! Then I can forget about taking photos already la... my longest lens is about 10% of that focal length!!!
    The celestron is a telescope? You own it or rent? Where can I rent or use telescopes and can I mount my dSLR on them to take photos??
    Thanks.
    Last edited by WuffRuff; 2nd January 2009 at 08:33 AM.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    IR filter?

I have one of those "eclipse viewing" visors. One way I've seen on the news is using a piece of completely overexposed and developed film strip.

I'm thinking of trying the shadow casting, a la camera obscura method.
    Don't ever use an IR filter. The IR will not be filtered and that's the damaging part due to heat. This is worse because you won't know what hit you. Get a proper solar filter for astrophotography use.

You can use exposed and developed silver based B&W film though. The silver will reflect away a good amount of solar energy.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 2nd January 2009 at 10:06 AM.

thanks for the info. i am interested to shoot but dun have the necessary astromical filters and stuff. any suggestions ? thanks
    Canon EOS 70D
    Krisgage flickr

The eclispe will be at 18:02hrs according to here http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/detail...arent=6&cat=73

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post

Aiyohhh! Then I can forget about taking photos already la... my longest lens is about 10% of that focal length!!!
    The celestron is a telescope? You own it or rent? Where can I rent or use telescopes and can I mount my dSLR on them to take photos??
    Thanks.
    The C102 was my personal telescope.

As far as i know no one here rents telescopes. But on the day itself you can head down to the observatory at the SSC. Usually the TASOS guys will set up and are kind enough to let the public look through their scopes. You can probably request them to let you take a picture through their scope, but you probably need your own camera mounting.

Alternative is to maybe rent a 2X tele-extender.

Don't shoot the eclipse.. What if your camera suddenly gained powers and starts teleporting to Russia or something like in Heroes
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Not a total or annular eclipse

vince123123
    Guests

In today's digital camera terms, you don't need 1000 or 2000mm. Just crop and use.

I mean, you don't really need to print a huge picture of a circular sun do you?

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post

Thanks.

Remember to watch the skies (safely!) on CNY at 5:50 for the eclipse!
    Last edited by redstone; 10th January 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Make use of Live View function... if your cam has it (so sad i dont have it).

You can also rent super duper tele lens for that day... yeah!

Happy shooting.
    Your fastest camera is as fast as your slowest lens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12