View Poll Results: Do you use a flash (especially external flash)

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Almost every shot.

12 12.50%
  • Depends.

66 68.75%
  • (Almost) never.

18 18.75%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you shoot with an external flash?

Default Re: Do you shoot with an external flash?

Quote Originally Posted by piyoz View Post
    If i'm not wrong the af360 can't swivel right? Then how to not get harsh shadow?? I didn't knwo that the af540 if that ex, if i had enough $$ then i will get the af540 lor. If not then how else can i improve the blur image caused by slow shutter speed?
    To add on, blurred images from low shutter speeds have only two sources: hand-shake (i.e. you shake) and motion-blur (i.e. subject shake). The former can be solved by a tripod and usually applicable for static subjects like landscape, architecture and still-life. Both shakes can be resolved using flash, large aperture lenses and low noise sensors but you must note the caveats. Flash is ideal for near-field photography (e.g. portrait, macro) cos it usually only light up a small area and near distances. Large apertures lenses means you are going to sacrifice your dof and may not be so suitable for landscape but ideal for portraits. Low noise sensor usually doesn't compromise anything but is limited by progress in technology.

Other than just brightening an area, there are also many creative uses of flash to achieve some effects that's just not possible without one - Fill-flash in day-light, catch-lights in portraits, shutter drag and rear-curtain sync, just to name a few.
    Last edited by scorpioh; 26th December 2008 at 10:14 PM.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Quote Originally Posted by shunzi View Post
    mostly indoor for the bounce effect. anyone had a sample pics for taking outdoor w/flash?
    Took this with 540 and built-in bounce card.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Loke View Post
    Took this with 540 and built-in bounce card.
    i guess you must have been to a flash course cos its the same model leh as the one hired by my course haha... however i got lots of under-expo pics as compare to others photographers

can i ask what type of batteries are you using? does you red light light up before everyshoot? my flash hang a few time during shoot does yours?

i tried to change to a 50mm manual lens during shoot but my flash does not fire... is it not compatitability problem or 540 simply doesnt support manual lens?

sorry for the troublesome question

Quote Originally Posted by teruranse View Post
    i guess you must have been to a flash course cos its the same model leh as the one hired by my course haha... however i got lots of under-expo pics as compare to others photographers

can i ask what type of batteries are you using? does you red light light up before everyshoot? my flash hang a few time during shoot does yours?

i tried to change to a 50mm manual lens during shoot but my flash does not fire... is it not compatitability problem or 540 simply doesnt support manual lens?

sorry for the troublesome question
    Ya, I took up flash photogaphy course before the outdoor shoot. Looks like it a package deal with the model.

To answer your questions, I tried to remember since the pic was taken sometime back.

1) I used the AA Li-ion batteries for my 540. Now using eneloop.
    2) I wait till the ready light is on before next shot.
    3) Flash hang did not occur to my 540.
    4) As far as I know, don't think manual lens caused the problem sicne the 540 has manual setting. The flash fires each time the shutter is depressed whether setting is correct or not.
    5) If you have another cam or flash, you can swap between them to see if the same happen. If not available, you can test your flash with my cam. I have 2 units 540 and a 360.

Hope it helps.

Ya, I took up flash photogaphy course before the outdoor shoot. Looks like it a package deal with the model.

To answer your questions, I tried to remember since the pic was taken sometime back.

4) As far as I know, don't think manual lens caused the problem sicne the 540 has manual setting. The flash fires each time the shutter is depressed whether setting is correct or not.
    5) If you have another cam or flash, you can swap between them to see if the same happen. If not available, you can test your flash with my cam. I have 2 units 540 and a 360.

Hope it helps.
    tks for your help... you using eneloop? i used that too but mine is the 2000mHA types... the 540 specs says 2500mHA... it is still usable then? how about 2700mHA?

i guess manual lens have to use manual mode? unfortunately i dun have another flash to confirm so perhaps if we meet next time mind if i do a comparision? tks

tks for your help... you using eneloop? i used that too but mine is the 2000mHA types... the 540 specs says 2500mHA... it is still usable then? how about 2700mHA?

i guess manual lens have to use manual mode? unfortunately i dun have another flash to confirm so perhaps if we meet next time mind if i do a comparision? tks
    mHA is just the power rating. Of course the higher the better as recharging of flash capacitor is faster. Just image if you put a 2000cc engine into a small body of 1000cc....

mHA is just the power rating. Of course the higher the better as recharging of flash capacitor is faster. Just image if you put a 2000cc engine into a small body of 1000cc....
    tks for the clarification... hope by putting a higher mHA wont damage the flash ... will it?

Hope it helps.

i tried last night using my manual lens to fire my flash but even testing all setting on both the camera and the flash it still wont fire... just that the red 'test' light light up...

do you think its possible for me to t-loan yours so that i can do a comparision before sending it to the workshop? or perhaps we can meet up to do a comparsion?

i tried last night using my manual lens to fire my flash but even testing all setting on both the camera and the flash it still wont fire... just that the red 'test' light light up...

do you think its possible for me to t-loan yours so that i can do a comparision before sending it to the workshop? or perhaps we can meet up to do a comparsion?
    Meeting up for comparison is my prefered choice.

I am at Bukit Gombak. Now overseas and back Feb 20 evening.

Can PM me for convenient time on Saturday to meet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123