Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sticking your tripod legs into mud, beach sand and seawater

Default Re: Sticking your tripod legs into mud, beach sand and seawater

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Thanx people, but I guess you guys don't get it.

End of the day I will be sitting on the sofa watching TV.

You guys will squatting in the toilet scrubbing tripods.
    This comes with photography. I guess you shoot Jpeg and dun bother editing as well right?

You just have to live with it if you want to capture those shots.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Member/Tangshooter

Actually dun really need to scrub lah..its very easy to clean one..

Trust and taking care of ur equipment properly..and ur equipment won't fail u..
    Mustn't be lazy..best if u can clean immediately, else latest next day..

U may be watching tv..but we get to enjoy the pic we took..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

our friendly CSers have already given you their advices, may I add....

#1, you can buy disposable tripod to go out and shoot.

#2, borrow your friends' tripod during the outing

#3, stay at home, mount the tripod in front of TV, shoot the TV screen
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

ya, a tripod is just a equipment to help take a photo at a slow shutter speed. if you are earning $$ from the photo and still thinking twice of cleaning the tripod, then its not good haha
    cleaning for 5min is better than mins wearing shoes for the tripod.

I think these remarks are uncalled for. You asked for opinions and we on our goodwill and experience gave our views. If you are so worry about all the hassel, why go into the mud to shoot in the 1st place.

Tripod (and other gears) maintenance is part of the duty of a photographer who loves abd take care of his/her equipment. I do routine PM for my gears at least once a month. I take apart my tripod, Giombal head to replace the lubricant as the old ones may have dust particles that can cause friction and wear and tear. My clean all my bodies and lenses after each shoot. Oh BTW, I still can sit on the sofa and watch TV cos you can still do it (cleaning yr gears) on the sofa.

Dude... I don't think most of us will appreciate the humor, if that's what you're attempting to do.

Some of us have advised against the trouble of additional preparation, while some of us have offered solutions such as using the plastic cover for umbrellas and condoms. You are free to accept and reject any of the suggestions. Nevertheless, your response to our suggestions are certainly uncalled for.

By the way, it's really not that difficult to wash off the grim. I clean my tripod as I leave the scene, with a small amount of water from my water bottle and some tissue paper. It is honestly not difficult or tedious at all.

Oh, I'm curious. Do you wrap your shoes in plastic too? Because if you didn't, you'd be "squatting in the toilet scrubbing" your shoes too.
    Last edited by Blur Shadow; 17th November 2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Grammatical Error

Then I suggest you get the 1600mm lens, can shoot from the carpark without even getting out of the car.

I had my Benro tripod into seawater, mud and sand. Now the legs don't lock properly anymore. My ancient 190B Manfrotto survived all of the above. I rest my case with Benro.

get in the muddy waters... the photos you will take home will remind you someday that you plunge and enjoyed.. thats the beauty of photography, you're the first to tell the story behind the photo that you will tell later.. (salute to the seniors)
    I'm still figuring to use the tripod(for total station/theodolite) we're using to survey mountains/roads, its super durable..............

What is TV? Seems you had already too much of it.
    Honestly, I prefer spending the evening out with tripod and camera somewhere at the beach and wash my tripod afterwards (took me 5min last weekend).

thanks sjackal,

i don't watch tv anyways.

at the end of the day, i will have something that i like from a trip made. you will have a very clean tripod and your tv memories.

Simple solution : wrap the legs with clingfilm and stick it into the mud. The tripod is a tool, not a display piece, right?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

some of my most memorable shot are done when i am knee deep in the sea

but i like some of the ideas given here

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    Simple solution : wrap the legs with clingfilm and stick it into the mud. The tripod is a tool, not a display piece, right?
    Thats a good idea, similar to the plastic wrap thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    some of my most memorable shot are done when i am knee deep in the sea

but i like some of the ideas given here
    Yes, some of the ideas are doable.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    This comes with photography. I guess you shoot Jpeg and dun bother editing as well right?

You just have to live with it if you want to capture those shots.
    Depends on the type of shoot, I shoot jpeg and raw.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Actually dun really need to scrub lah..its very easy to clean one..

Trust and taking care of ur equipment properly..and ur equipment won't fail u..
    Mustn't be lazy..best if u can clean immediately, else latest next day..

U may be watching tv..but we get to enjoy the pic we took..
    I want to enjoy TV plus my pics.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    our friendly CSers have already given you their advices, may I add....

#1, you can buy disposable tripod to go out and shoot.

#2, borrow your friends' tripod during the outing

#3, stay at home, mount the tripod in front of TV, shoot the TV screen
    #1 was one of my initial thought, but as discussed, not very trustable.

You borrow your friend's tripod for muddy shots? I guess you don't, what makes you think I will?

I take #3 as your friendly joke, good counter for my TV thing.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Then I suggest you get the 1600mm lens, can shoot from the carpark without even getting out of the car.
    Thanx huh ahbian.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    I had my Benro tripod into seawater, mud and sand. Now the legs don't lock properly anymore. My ancient 190B Manfrotto survived all of the above. I rest my case with Benro.
    Thanx for the info on Benro quality.

Quote Originally Posted by billycadiz View Post
    get in the muddy waters... the photos you will take home will remind you someday that you plunge and enjoyed.. thats the beauty of photography, you're the first to tell the story behind the photo that you will tell later.. (salute to the seniors)
    I'm still figuring to use the tripod(for total station/theodolite) we're using to survey mountains/roads, its super durable..............
    Great answer nicely put. Greater person behind it I guess, to read beyond words.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    What is TV? Seems you had already too much of it.
    Honestly, I prefer spending the evening out with tripod and camera somewhere at the beach and wash my tripod afterwards (took me 5min last weekend).
    Well, try to accept new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    thanks sjackal,

i don't watch tv anyways.

at the end of the day, i will have something that i like from a trip made. you will have a very clean tripod and your tv memories.
    Haha bro, as mentioned, I want to have both clean tripod, my photos, plus TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Dude... I don't think most of us will appreciate the humor, if that's what you're attempting to do.

Some of us have advised against the trouble of additional preparation, while some of us have offered solutions such as using the plastic cover for umbrellas and condoms. You are free to accept and reject any of the suggestions. Nevertheless, your response to our suggestions are certainly uncalled for.

By the way, it's really not that difficult to wash off the grim. I clean my tripod as I leave the scene, with a small amount of water from my water bottle and some tissue paper. It is honestly not difficult or tedious at all.

Oh, I'm curious. Do you wrap your shoes in plastic too? Because if you didn't, you'd be "squatting in the toilet scrubbing" your shoes too.
    Yes, its humor, I also placed a smiley if you had read properly. Too bad you took it badly amongst others.

In fact I responded to the suggestions about umbrella cover wraps favorably. I was looking for ways to stick my tripod into mud while still keeping maintenance down.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    I think these remarks are uncalled for. You asked for opinions and we on our goodwill and experience gave our views. If you are so worry about all the hassel, why go into the mud to shoot in the 1st place.

Tripod (and other gears) maintenance is part of the duty of a photographer who loves abd take care of his/her equipment. I do routine PM for my gears at least once a month. I take apart my tripod, Giombal head to replace the lubricant as the old ones may have dust particles that can cause friction and wear and tear. My clean all my bodies and lenses after each shoot. Oh BTW, I still can sit on the sofa and watch TV cos you can still do it (cleaning yr gears) on the sofa.
    You guys need to lighten up.

I can understand the defensiveness though; there are many old birds here, and quite some pros, plus many talented hobbyist. People feel proud about their pictures and they feel prouder if they put in extra efforts (the getting into mud part), this distinguishes them apart from people who don't. No problem with that.

But that doesn't mean others can't think of new ways to improve the situation.

Photography is my hobby, elsewhere in my day job, I am an old bird, I like things done a certain way, the good old right way, to ensure best results. One day my juniors changes my rules, and they did better than me, because their young brains can innovate.

Haha bro, as mentioned, I want to have both clean tripod, my photos, plus TV.
    hrm.. there is no real solution around it, as i see it. unless you manage to make a custom-fit rubber thing that can go over the tripod that is mudproof, in the end you will probably have to clean that as well, anyways.

plastic bags, etc.. still do not prevent situations like splashing, etc.

i worry more about my camera than my tripod when i'm shooting in such conditions..

Would like to ask those who just stick the tripod in the mud / sea water, does your tripod have some sort of cushion / padding thing on it? If yes, does it clean up fine also? Am more worried that the padding won't clean up and dry out properly.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hrm.. there is no real solution around it, as i see it. unless you manage to make a custom-fit rubber thing that can go over the tripod that is mudproof, in the end you will probably have to clean that as well, anyways.

plastic bags, etc.. still do not prevent situations like splashing, etc.

i worry more about my camera than my tripod when i'm shooting in such conditions..
    Yes, I worry most about my lens and cam and kept the strap on my neck when shooting, just in case the tripod still somehow accident.

I guess I will try the plastic method next trip, wrap the lowest section and keep the lowest section extended.

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredVision View Post
    Would like to ask those who just stick the tripod in the mud / sea water, does your tripod have some sort of cushion / padding thing on it? If yes, does it clean up fine also? Am more worried that the padding won't clean up and dry out properly.
    Do you mean the foam padding? I guess thats only on the top portion of the tripod, I wonder who stick their tripod so deep into the sea because it means waves will easily send splashes into the camera and lens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast