Thread: Question on load weight for tripod+ballhead

Default Question on load weight for tripod+ballhead

hi.

hope you guys can correct me if im wrong.

lets say:
    max weight load on a tripod is 5kg
    The weight of a ballhead is 2kg.

does it mean that the remaining weight load for the tripod is 5-2 =3kg instead of 5kg? so my equipment should not exceed 3 kg so else tripod might not able to support

cheers.

Default Re: Question on load weight for tripod+ballhead

Its common sense to take into consideration the weight of the tripod head from the maximum capacity since its resting on the tripod. That said, the amount of load you can mount on the entire setup does not necessarily have to equate to the load of the tripod - weight of the head. You also have to take into consideration the loading capacity of the head as well. Also, its never a good idea to load your entire setup to its maximum. Allow a buffer of around 20%.

thanks for your prompt reply.

i was thinking of getting manfrotto 190xprob which had a weight load of 5kg. As for ballhead, i wanted a 486RC2 which also had a weight load of 5kg.

my equipment will consist of d700 + 70-200mm + sb800, the weight is about 3kg.

so the above mention tripod+ballhead setup might not able to support?

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by spartan30 View Post
    thanks for your prompt reply.

i was thinking of getting manfrotto 190xprob which had a weight load of 5kg. As for ballhead, i wanted a 486RC2 which also had a weight load of 5kg.

my equipment will consist of d700 + 70-200mm + sb800, the weight is about 3kg.

so the above mention tripod+ballhead setup might not able to support?

cheers.
    I have the exact same tripod and ball head combi, it will support your camera and lens perfectly.

I use my 5D with grip, with a 100-400 lens and it supports it very well. note that a tripod collar shld be used with a long lens.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2