Thread: What is the best screen resolution to see digital photo?

Default What is the best screen resolution to see digital photo?

Hi everyone,

What is the default or normal screen resolution most of the people have on the Monitor screen? I believe for LCD 15" will be the default 1024*768.

Any idea what should be the best resolution to set to the screen to enjoy digital photo?

David's Photography

as high as your monitor allows, at a decent refresh rate of course, and for LCD at the native resolution, no other.

For LCD monitors, the best resolution is the native resolution of the LCD. This will be stated in the specs. Any other resolution will require Anti-aliasing filtering and would result in a blurrier image.

For CRTs, generally, if you just want to "enjoy" the photo as in see LESS flaws, just set the resolution to as high as it is comfortable for you.

This can mean 1600x1200 on a 19", resulting in an average pixel pitch of about 120dpi. At such resolutions, there are more image pixels packed into each inch of the screen and hence, any artifacts would be far less obvious.

However, if you were to edit images using a monitor with high DPI setting, you may not see the artifacts that others may see at a standard ~72dpi screen resolution.

Hi Zerstorer,

I agree with you. That's why I start to as this question after I notice the disadvantage while see the photo at 1024*768 screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    For LCD monitors, the best resolution is the native resolution of the LCD. This will be stated in the specs. Any other resolution will require Anti-aliasing filtering and would result in a blurrier image.

For CRTs, generally, if you just want to "enjoy" the photo as in see LESS flaws, just set the resolution to as high as it is comfortable for you.

This can mean 1600x1200 on a 19", resulting in an average pixel pitch of about 120dpi. At such resolutions, there are more image pixels packed into each inch of the screen and hence, any artifacts would be far less obvious.

However, if you were to edit images using a monitor with high DPI setting, you may not see the artifacts that others may see at a standard ~72dpi screen resolution.