Thread: Sunday Tripod Shopping

Default Sunday Tripod Shopping

Hi guys,

I recently got myself a Nikon 105mm Micro VR. Was super excited and went SBG this afternoon to explore the world of macro.

I then quickly realized that shooting macro without a tripod is a killer. Ultra tiring and very hard to get super sharp subject while maintaining acceptable DoF (at least for me).

I'm planning to go back tomorrow but this time armed with a tripod. Any recommendations for one that would suit my needs (I'm 165cm)? Am using the lens with a Nikon D40. Budget is around $150.

I've tried searching the forums but the tripod + head combinations are rather confusing. Would be great if you know of a good place open tomorrow morning, and what tripod + head combination is suitable for me.

Thanks a million!

Default Re: Sunday Tripod Shopping

The is true that with macro with tripod is a better choice.

But frankly, with a budget of $150 to get a cheap tripod + head is not making it better.

Quote Originally Posted by harumonia View Post
    Hi guys,

I recently got myself a Nikon 105mm Micro VR. Was super excited and went SBG this afternoon to explore the world of macro.

I then quickly realized that shooting macro without a tripod is a killer. Ultra tiring and very hard to get super sharp subject while maintaining acceptable DoF (at least for me).

I'm planning to go back tomorrow but this time armed with a tripod. Any recommendations for one that would suit my needs (I'm 165cm)? Am using the lens with a Nikon D40. Budget is around $150.

I've tried searching the forums but the tripod + head combinations are rather confusing. Would be great if you know of a good place open tomorrow morning, and what tripod + head combination is suitable for me.

Thanks a million!
    check out the tripod threads. find a weekday to go and test each tripod you like.
    I photograph the dead.

There are a few brands in the forum that we use, namely Manfrotto, Gitzo, Benro, Slik, etc . . .
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

150 should be more than enough to get an entry level slik tripod..

or you can consider topping up a bit more to get manfrotto or benro 2nd hand..

Thanks guys.

Went to MS Color aiming to get a ~$200 Benro but they had no stock for the model I wanted.

I ended up getting a Manfrotto 190XProB + 486RC2 for $290. Talk about spending over budget.......

Hopefully this tripod set will last me for a long time. Is this a good setup for D40 + 105mm Micro VR? Other lens I'm using is 18-200mm VR.

The tripod is kinda too long and heavy to bring for traveling though. Lugging it around is like weight training.

Quote Originally Posted by harumonia View Post
    Thanks guys.

Went to MS Color aiming to get a ~$200 Benro but they had no stock for the model I wanted.

I ended up getting a Manfrotto 190XProB + 486RC2 for $290. Talk about spending over budget.......

Hopefully this tripod set will last me for a long time. Is this a good setup for D40 + 105mm Micro VR? Other lens I'm using is 18-200mm VR.

The tripod is kinda too long and heavy to bring for traveling though. Lugging it around is like weight training.
    Wah, you bought the tripod, then ask if its a good setup? Yes, its good enough. Don't worry.

They are both fine. (Legs and ballhead that is).

It's a very capable tripod. Enjoy!