Thread: Morning nap

Default Morning nap

Was in school the other day and saw this boy sleeping on the table, oblivious to all the noise around him (just behind us there was a group of people doing some activity, was noisy). I increased contrast in photoshop as beforehand the image was abit dull.. i find the green dustbin on the right abit distracting, but i could not move it away... what do you guys think?
    would like to receive feedback on composition and how this shot can be further improved as it is(cant go back in time to take it again so how to improve it as it is would be better).. thks for taking time to view and possibly comment

Shot with nikon 50 1.4 pre-Ai + EOS 20D @ 1/25s, f/4, ISO 100
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

Default Re: Morning nap

Picture is underexposed.

composition is fine but perhaps you could have not included the dustbin in the picture.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post
    Picture is underexposed.

composition is fine but perhaps you could have not included the dustbin in the picture.
    Oh. i intentionally underexposed it. i was not supposed to move the dustbin
    Flickr|

Quote Originally Posted by EOS Revolution View Post
    Oh. i intentionally underexposed it. i was not supposed to move the dustbin
    1. Why did you intentionally underexpose it?
    2. You didn't have to move the bin, you could move yourself.

I didn't think it was underexposed anyway, the background looks way too dark to be termed underexposed. I'd rather think your post processing (increasing in contrast) made the subject very dark, lost much details. And it could probably be because of this large amount of blacks on the subject that most of us are drawn to the bin (which is in fact, brighter) and the background. The floor at the back is blown, by the way.
    Last edited by PyeeL; 15th November 2008 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PyeeL View Post
    1. Why did you intentionally underexpose it?
    2. You didn't have to move the bin, you could move yourself.

I didn't think it was underexposed anyway, the background looks way too dark to be termed underexposed. I'd rather think your post processing (increasing in contrast) made the subject very dark, lost much details. And it could probably be because of this large amount of blacks on the subject that most of us are drawn to the bin (which is in fact, brighter) and the background. The floor at the back is blown, by the way.
    I underexposed it in an attempt not to blow the highlights behind, but still failed. i tried another angle without bin, but this was still better
    Flickr|

Why not just move closer to exclude the bin while still retaining this straight-on framing? Am I the only one missing something here?

it would be better if u could include those who are making noises in it. Just by viewing the picture, it can only tell me someone taking a nap on a bright afternoon. But in your statement, addition of a noisy environment...

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Why not just move closer to exclude the bin while still retaining this straight-on framing? Am I the only one missing something here?
    I did, but the crop was abit close... this one was still better
    Flickr|