Thread: Please help me decide!!

Default Please help me decide!!

Hi

I'm a newbie to this forum and to photography. I wish to take up photography as a hobby and am trying hard to decide between a Nikon D80 and Canon 450D. This will be my first entry into the world of DSLR so I want to get it right so that I wont feel that I have made an expensive mistake.

I have used the "search" function which has a wealth of information, but I would also like to hear from the Sifus in this forum on what their personal preference would be..

Further can anyone tell me if

1)Nikon D80 has a built in AF motor or has to rely on a lens motor?

2) Does the D80 HAVE "Live View"?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Please help me decide!!

Quote Originally Posted by hefraz View Post
    Hi

I'm a newbie to this forum and to photography. I wish to take up photography as a hobby and am trying hard to decide between a Nikon D80 and Canon 450D. This will be my first entry into the world of DSLR so I want to get it right so that I wont feel that I have made an expensive mistake.

I have used the "search" function which has a wealth of information, but I would also like to hear from the Sifus in this forum on what their personal preference would be..

Thanks in advance

If you really used the search, yo would have already found many such threads, therefore there is no need to post a new thread.

For your 2 questions, have you even bothered to do any basic research or read the review on DPreview? All your answers are there.
    Alpha

you claim to have used the search function, yet are asking questions that can be easily searched for on this forum, and on Google.

Try search for 'Nikon D80 Live View', and you should get the first search result as "You're joking, right?"

Similarly, search for "Nikon D80 AF motor" and you'll get "It's not a D40/D60, you know..."

hope that helps!
    Exploring! :)

Nikon D80 = no liveview + 10.8MP + 11 point AF + almost running out of stock
    Nikon D90 = liveview + 12.3MP + 11 point AF + almost everywhere in the market

Both have internal focusing motor so AF lenses will work.

Your questions....

1) Nikon D80 has a built in AF motor or has to rely on a lens motor? ANS : YES
    2) Does the D80 HAVE "Live View"? ANS : NO

Personal point of view, Live View is something good to have. Not a main consideration for me. Main drawback of Live View in my perspective, power consumption to drive the LCD screen.

Comparing between the 450D and D80, I'd personally pick the D80. But then again, I am with the dark side... so.... haha. Go hold the 2 cams in ur hands and take a couple of shots to see which one "calls out" to you.....

I like N better cos the colour saturation not as "high" as C. Lotsa folks tells me that Canon is good for portraits as the overall pix is softer and skin tone nicer (Cos more saturated I figure....). I take more sceneries so that doesn't really bother me and I prefer more "true to life" colours. Another frivolous reason for me preferring N to C is the shutter sound gave me more confidence ! Don't ask me why.

Not sure if this helps.
    Snap ?

Or just get a Sony A700.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by hefraz View Post
    Hi

Thanks in advance
    Both cameras will be able to yield good pictures, so it won't be an expensive mistake. It really doesn't matter which one you pick as long as you make the effort to learn more about photography.

The only expensive mistake you could possibly make is thinking that relying on the camera itself will yield great pictures, and that the person behind the camera doesn't matter at all.
    Last edited by entropy_h; 15th November 2008 at 09:58 AM.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr