Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone just kanna retrenched here?

Default Re: Anyone just kanna retrenched here?

I am gradually bringing my personal stuff, CDs, photos etc from office to home bit by bit.
    Slowly throwing away unwanted stuff in the office, shredding old unwanted documents.
    So far no news yet, but...

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    I am gradually bringing my personal stuff, CDs, photos etc from office to home bit by bit.
    Slowly throwing away unwanted stuff in the office, shredding old unwanted documents.
    So far no news yet, but...
    Haha, me start to search for my company items allocated to us.

And Arghhh..., i lost my thumbdrive. And the harddisk i put under my company desk went missing while i was in china for installation and they do house keeping lor!!!

If i kanna, i may be the first in SG to "pay" my company...
    Last edited by Yapster; 15th November 2008 at 11:48 PM.

havent been working for slightly less than 2 years, just when i want to go back to work, economy down.

hope u guys dont get axed. good luck.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    Haha, me start to search for my company items allocated to us.

And Arghhh..., i lost my thumbdrive. And the harddisk i put under my company desk went missing while i was in china for installation and they do house keeping lor!!!

If i kanna, i may be the first in SG to "pay" my company...
    I tell my colleagues, annual year end spring-cleaning when I clear the old stuff & shred documents. But I guess deep inside everybody has that same feeling.

Some of my colleagues this year, give birth to babies, buy new cars, move house etc. Big committments. They must be very worried inside but never show.
    Last edited by foxwagon; 16th November 2008 at 02:40 AM.

I tell my colleagues, annual year end spring-cleaning when I clear the old stuff & shred documents. But I guess deep inside everybody has that same feeling.

Some of my colleagues this year, give birth to babies, buy new cars, move house etc. Big committments. They must be very worried inside but never show.
    I just had my newborn.. Not worked since monday..worries after reading post. maybe if retrenchment arrives in my company, it will be a good kick in the butt for the old cronies who just sit around and talk crap.

Sometimes unemployment could cause relationship problems.

A family friend who was a banker with a top US merchant bank in Tokyo married a ravishing tall Japanese beauty more than two years ago.

Last year he and a few others were axed by the merchant bank just before Christmas. I heard an American merchant bank in Hong Kong gave out 14 months of bonus last year.

So by axing them before Christmas the company saved a small fortune in bonuses.
    His beautiful wife walked out of him and their divorce had just been finalised recently. The retrenchment had probably caused a strain in their relationship.

Well, you'll find out who is with you or against you in hard times I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post

A family friend who was a banker with a top US merchant bank in Tokyo married a ravishing tall Japanese beauty more than two years ago.

His beautiful wife walked out of him and their divorce had just been finalised recently. The retrenchment had probably caused a strain in their relationship.

relationships oso got retrenchment wan arh?

Ya, recently saw some "daily-seen-at-bus-stop" young pretty ladies got pregnant lor...(, thought they are single...)

Anyway, before they commit to any of these, they should plan properly la.

Don't anyhow overcommit just because your friends are doing so...

HARD CASH IS KING!!!

Ya, recently saw some "daily-seen-at-bus-stop" young pretty ladies got pregnant lor...(, thought they are single...)

maybe they should ask your opinions first?

This one i catch no balls.
    Yapster is one of them???

Misunderstanding la.

My "they" heres to

This "They" la.

Nothing to do with the pretty ladies la. Just agreeing with foxwagon's quote la.
    Last edited by Yapster; 16th November 2008 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teegongkia View Post
    This one i catch no balls.
    Yapster is one of them???
    No no, i am single and very available.

But i do have committments to my parents la.

Quote Originally Posted by Teegongkia View Post
    Hur really ah....i still in my probation period. Anyone heard of people retrenching pple who were still in their probation period? To save the compensation given out during retrenchment.

Die lah...i still in debts.....
    It's possible. They give excuse that u are not performing up to standard.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

Need to quit this lousy job but also worried that I cannot find another. Losing sleep over this.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnuts View Post
    I just had my newborn.. Not worked since monday..worries after reading post. maybe if retrenchment arrives in my company, it will be a good kick in the butt for the old cronies who just sit around and talk crap.
    Congratulations on your new born! Good time or recession, a new baby is always good news. Just need to work harder.

Last year he and a few others were axed by the merchant bank just before Christmas. I heard an American merchant bank in Hong Kong gave out 14 months of bonus last year.

So by axing them before Christmas the company saved a small fortune in bonuses.

Agreed. A relative of mine got the retrenchment letter in late Sept 08, last day of work is 31 Dec 08. So company does not need to pay bonus for the year 2008. Strange thing was, my relative does not receive a high salary, so retrenching him does not save much money for the company. Those company fat cats still around. & those are the ones draining the resources, talk much do little.

Don't anyhow overcommit just because your friends are doing so...

HARD CASH IS KING!!!
    They did plan properly lah, just that they planned sometime maybe 9 months ago before all these Lehman/Mini Bonds/HighNotes stuff hehe. In fact my colleagues who changed cars (one even changed twice) & moved into a condo did it between 2005/2007 bull run time, that time all so happy, take new car rides go out for lunch. So now all these became "unforeseen circumstances"

Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    Need to quit this lousy job but also worried that I cannot find another. Losing sleep over this.
    Perhaps go for further studies? Lots of people do that during bad times to ride out, take the opportunity to upgrade with better skills, better certificates/qualifications.
    Last edited by foxwagon; 16th November 2008 at 06:10 PM.

A relative of mine got the retrenchment letter in late Sept 08, last day of work is 31 Dec 08. So company does not need to pay bonus for the year 2008. Strange thing was, my relative does not receive a high salary, so retrenching him does not save much money for the company. Those company fat cats still around. & those are the ones draining the resources, talk much do little.
    They did it to protect themselves and to make themselves look good to their superiors.

"We've sacked 900 workers!" will sound very impressive in a boardroom meeting.

They did it to protect themselves and to make themselves look good to their superiors.

"We've sacked 900 workers!" will sound very impressive in a boardroom meeting.
    Yes, retrench others first to save themselves.

Yes, retrench others first to save themselves.
    If you were put in their position, will you retrench yourself first to save others ? The only reason anyone will retrench themselves first is if there is a golden handshake or the retrenchment package is superb ....

Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    If you were put in their position, will you retrench yourself first to save others ? The only reason anyone will retrench themselves first is if there is a golden handshake or the retrenchment package is superb ....
    You have to read more/higher up the remarks & read it in context. I was talking about a relative of mine who is not holding a high level job, not earning a big salary being retrenched before the year end (hence the company save on year-end bonus). How much salary can a company save by retrenching an admin staff? I agree in terms of selfishness, no one will sacrifice & retrench himself first. But if business is not doing well & cost cutting is the reason, would'nt retrenching those fat cats more effective in cutting cost? My deduction is, those fat cats with big salaries are the ones who have the power in management, the bosses. So when the bosses tell HR to retrench people, HR won't say, "boss, your salary so high, can save a lot for the company if we retrench you" but instead take out the scraps first.

You have to read more/higher up the remarks & read it in context. I was talking about a relative of mine who is not holding a high level job, not earning a big salary being retrenched before the year end (hence the company save on year-end bonus). How much salary can a company save by retrenching an admin staff? I agree in terms of selfishness, no one will sacrifice & retrench himself first. But if business is not doing well & cost cutting is the reason, would'nt retrenching those fat cats more effective in cutting cost? My deduction is, those fat cats with big salaries are the ones who have the power in management, the bosses. So when the bosses tell HR to retrench people, HR won't say, "boss, your salary so high, can save a lot for the company if we retrench you" but instead take out the scraps first.
    Retrenching people b4 year end bonus is paid certainly leaves a bad taste in the mouth. There are many reasons for retrenchment, be it cost saving, downsizing / rightsizing headcount, redundancy, corporate strategy shift etc. And i agree with you, the little guy is always at a disadvantage when compared to higher ups in management. But thats the way the world works ... the higher ups hold the power, the local unions are not strong enough unlike in western countries ... its sad i know .. but that's reality for you.
    Last edited by zero o; 16th November 2008 at 11:45 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast