Thread: Some terms to photog..

Default Some terms to photog..

Hi, i'm in photography for sometime... but towards the digital side... now very keen to learn the SLR way...
    Some questions to ask:

What do you mean by saying:

28-80mm 1:3.5-4.2 CF Marco ? what does these numbers acutally means?

Pardon me for my stupidity....

how you do guage the exposure ie what setting to choose?

And i went down to the camera workshop today, and surpised to find out there are lots of cameras there on 2hand sale.. and i particularly is looking at nikon (since its more established).. what the difference between a $1200 body and a $300 FM10 body?

i not sure... it seems to me that whatever the $1200 has, the $300 have too... hmm... pretty confused about the lens to look at... what exactly is good... i go for general shooting... no particular focus.

And canon, its also good right? heard you all talking about EOS 300. used that before, did feel very professional but very user friendly.

And also, if i get a cheap FM10 body ($250) and quite a good 2 hand tele lense ($400 - 500), how much would it cost to get the acessories i.e tripod, flash, dry box, lense cloth, some important filters, bag etc.

Thanks alot!

Singapore, Bedok

"28-80mm 1:3.5-4.2"

"28-80" refers to the focal length of the lens. This lens zooms from a wide 28mm to a short telephoto viewpoint of 80mm. To find out more, read up on "focal length".

"1:3.5-4.2" refer to the maximum aperture size of the lens. At 28mm, the maximum aperture is 1:3.5, while at the long end (80mm), the maximum aperture is 1:4.2. To find out more, read up on "aperture".

"how you do guage the exposure ie what setting to choose?"

If you're new to this, let the camera decide. The human part comes in when the scene has extreme range of brightness values, ie, there is a huge brightness difference between the bright (highlights) and dark (shadows) of the scene, or other tricky scenes like black bear in a dark cave or polar bear on snow (or even black suit next to white gown). To find out more, read up on "metering, shutter speed, exposure, dynamic range, ISO sensitivity".

These short answers are probably not very helpful if you're new to these concepts. i suggest you pick up a photography primer from the national library -they have a lot of good stuff there.

If you need a recommendation, try "National Geographic Photography Field Guide" by Peter K Burian and Robert Caputo. But really, there are a lot of books there that teach all these. The photography books are at ref 770/771.