Thread: Good Renovation Contractors to Recommend?

Default Good Renovation Contractors to Recommend?

Hi All,

Just bought our own flat It's the flat we've been living in for several years. Now we are thinking about some simple renovation work, like rewiring, toilets, kitchen, probably floor too if the price is right. Any good and reasonable priced renovation contractor to recommend? Saw quite some at mocca, but don't know which ones I should approach I live in Bt Gombak area, so I guess it's better the company isn't too far from my place.

Your suggestion will be very appreciated.

Thanks and cheers!

Default Re: Good Renovation Contractors to Recommend?

Try renotalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Hi All,

Just bought our own flat It's the flat we've been living in for several years. Now we are thinking about some simple renovation work, like rewiring, toilets, kitchen, probably floor too if the price is right. Any good and reasonable priced renovation contractor to recommend? Saw quite some at mocca, but don't know which ones I should approach I live in Bt Gombak area, so I guess it's better the company isn't too far from my place.

Thanks and cheers!
    better dun take the distance into consideration...

for renovation, aftersales service is more important than the actual renovation, cos normally when its done, it may look nice, but after 1 year, all the problem will surface and you will have a big headache trying to get them to do repairs. Esp if they do the toilet and it causes leak to the unit below.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Try renotalk.com
    Thanks. Will take a look at it. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    better dun take the distance into consideration...

for renovation, aftersales service is more important than the actual renovation, cos normally when its done, it may look nice, but after 1 year, all the problem will surface and you will have a big headache trying to get them to do repairs. Esp if they do the toilet and it causes leak to the unit below.
    Hmm, okay, thanks. Haven't thought about that ...

Hmm, okay, thanks. Haven't thought about that ...
    better have it black and white on the warranty.

at least 2 years, cos fixing those cost alot. sometimes may even have to redo your entire toilet.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    better have it black and white on the warranty.

at least 2 years, cos fixing those cost alot. sometimes may even have to redo your entire toilet.
    Thanks again Actually HDB just redid one of our toilet due to the leaking to the lower floor. I wish they could've redone the other one too 'cause HDB would bear half of the cost

not sure if mods mind, I have to post this forum for you to look through:
    http://www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard/

it has many discussions on good n bad contractor which might help in your renovations.
    Look under Home n Deco.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1010 View Post
    not sure if mods mind, I have to post this forum for you to look through:
    http://www.singaporebrides.com/forumboard/

it has many discussions on good n bad contractor which might help in your renovations.
    Look under Home n Deco.
    Thanks for the link. The wedding stuff looks interesting, but Home n Deco are mostly b&s info?
    Last edited by fengwei; 14th November 2008 at 11:56 PM.

not really..1 example here for reading pleasures:
    A irresponsible contractor
    Those are the stuffs I wish for you to go through.

...... so I guess it's better the company isn't too far from my place.....
    This should never be the consideration. Last year, my new neighbours directly upstairs engaged this "VEGAS" contractor near Braddell MRT because of "near the house". End up the renovation was delayed by a few months, the project coordinator was avoiding the calls totally, calls to main office was not handled well, worst, their workers washed down a lot of debris into the sanitary pipes in the toilet, when it choked, they simply forced a steel bar down to clear but broke the plastic pipes down at my unit instead, splashing all the waste all over my toilet from ceiling to floor/walls. We had to call in HDB.

So you need to choose the contractor based on other merits instead of "geological" reason.

Don't allow renovation contractor to smoke you.
    He will ask you to hack down existing wall.
    Where there is no wall, he will ask you to build a wall.

$$$$$$$$$

Don't allow renovation contractor to suggest moving your bath tub (if any) or WC or bathroom sink or kitchen sink around to weird locations.

He will insist it is possible and then lay a thick floor screed and run pipes within this screed from the bath/sink/WC to their proper original outlets. If you allow him to do this. ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

If the thing leaks later, especially the WC connection, your house is unlive-able.

A proper contractor who knows his construction basics will never suggest such ridiculous things. But money-greedy renovation contractors do.

You must realise by now, that the renovation contractor always target the wife or lady companion to convince her on many frivolous money-spending ideas; and let her pressure YOU to agree to them.

Thanks guys for the tips and suggestions.

Talked to several reno companies, all told us that we need to tear off the floor before we can put new one on That means we have to move out for severa months for the reno work. Why can't they just lay a new floor on top of the existing one? Was told that only wood floor can be done that way, otherwise need to tear off the exising one ...

Oh well, haven't officially got the key yet. Still have 2 to 3 months time to plan ...

Hi All,

Thanks and cheers!
    Hi, actually you may wish to renovate your house when the economy is really bad as it will be cheap then.

Thanks guys for the tips and suggestions.

Talked to several reno companies, all told us that we need to tear off the floor before we can put new one on That means we have to move out for severa months for the reno work. Why can't they just lay a new floor on top of the existing one? Was told that only wood floor can be done that way, otherwise need to tear off the exising one ...

Oh well, haven't officially got the key yet. Still have 2 to 3 months time to plan ...
    of course... else your ceiling height will be lower and lower... lol...

imagine everyone does it like that... 5 owner add 5 layers, each layer about 3" then you will lose 15" which is about 37cm...

they have to remove the old ceramic, tiles, etc... get the old cemented floor, put sand, then make it flat, then put the new tiles over with cement... skill level must be good, esp for granite and marble tiles... ceramics are easier...

normally takes about 1 week, not several months... for the flooring... for other fixtures, will take approx another 1-2 weeks, for built in cabinet, normally is negotiated, start work at their place then they will bring over to just install... probably just need to rent a near by unit for 2 months. 2 weeks shift over, stay 1 month for reno, move back in 2 weeks...

I had a good experience with Richard Ang
    Young, energetic and flexible when you need to make some changes

Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Talked to several reno companies, all told us that we need to tear off the floor before we can put new one on That means we have to move out for several months for the reno work. Why can't they just lay a new floor on top of the existing one? Was told that only wood floor can be done that way, otherwise need to tear off the exising one ...

In this case they are right.
    (edited)
    Last edited by ricohflex; 19th November 2008 at 06:45 AM.