Thread: How long can lenses last?

Default How long can lenses last?

(Perhaps I should posted this in general discussion forum but I prefer the responses here.)
    Say in terms of number of shots for screw-driven primes? Cos the diaphram stops-down and retracts back very fast every time u snap a picture - I see this as the main source of wear and tear, apart from the focusing ring.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Default Re: How long can lenses last?

My Pentax K 85mm F1.8 has lasted 30 over years and still looks clean
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Not sure about the newer lenses, but the older ones seem to be built to last.

I have a M42 Pentacon 135mm.. the company ceased operations(?) in 1991, so even if mine's the last batch made (unlikely though!), it's already 17 years.. and working perfectly fine.

A test shot with the lens (unprocessed except for resizing):

Agree, older metal lenses tend to last longer.

The plastic in newer ones (90s onwards) seem to be more brittle over time. I tried to take apart older lenses to clean, everything is metal inside and hardy. However the plasticky ones like those Vivitar 19-35s (even though Series 1)...the parts chip off very easily.

I think to save on weight and perhaps cost, modern lenses are made less hardy.