Thread: Bring camera overseas

Default Bring camera overseas

Hi guys, just bought a eos450d, i will be going to shanghai during dec 12th, looking forward to take some pictures there. However, i am worried damage will be done to the camera such as condensation or ... watever due to the temperature change. I think the temperature there will be between 5 to 10 degree celsius..
    Any one here has experience bringing ur camera to a colder country? Any points to take note?

Thank you.

Default Re: Bring camera overseas

bring extra batteries. There are more issues, but u have to use the search function.

If condensation was so damaging, all our SBS bus, office tower, fast-food outlet and coffee joint windows would be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by mercy81 View Post
    Hi guys, just bought a eos450d, i will be going to shanghai during dec 12th, looking forward to take some pictures there. However, i am worried damage will be done to the camera such as condensation or ... watever due to the temperature change. I think the temperature there will be between 5 to 10 degree celsius..
    Any one here has experience bringing ur camera to a colder country? Any points to take note?

Thank you.
    nothing wrong with using the camera over there. Just that if by some freak of nature if camera condenses whether it will affect the camera internal electronics and if Canon warranty covers the repair costs.

but since the brands keep going on and on about how weather resistant their camera bodies are, should have nothing to worry about.

my concern is the camera lcd freezing point...i really wonder at what temperature the lcd freezes solid.
    Last edited by Flashbulb; 13th November 2008 at 12:17 PM.
    I photograph the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by mercy81 View Post

Thank you.
    I believe it's in your manual

imo, don't think 5-10 degrees will be a problem at all

Coming from a "colder" country myself (Germany), I find it slightly amusing to see such worries
    In Germany, people worry about bringing their cams into a tropical climate, as I've read often enough in German discussion boards

Something that might happen is that you will have a "foggy" lens when you switch from a cold area (e.g. outside) to a warm aread (inside). So maybe bring something to wipe it clean.

The other important things were already said here by others.
    E-3, E-500, 14-45, 40-150, 50/2.0, Sigma 135-400

Haha great to see so many feedback, thanks i will read up the manual for more information.
    Anyway it is interesting to hear about people from temperate countries worry about their photography equipments when they visit a tropical climate country.

Quote Originally Posted by Modery View Post
    Coming from a "colder" country myself (Germany), I find it slightly amusing to see such worries
    In Germany, people worry about bringing their cams into a tropical climate, as I've read often enough in German discussion boards
    haha! interesting...

but yea, in a 'wonderfully' humid, rainy place like Singapore...dry cabinets are a must, imho, especially if you get caught in the rain with your gear

So if i bring my camera to a cold country, what kind of precautions should i take? So i come down from a coach to shoot some pictures, I don't have to worry about condensation? Because the coach will be warmer than the outside.
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    So if i bring my camera to a cold country, what kind of precautions should i take? So i come down from a coach to shoot some pictures, I don't have to worry about condensation? Because the coach will be warmer than the outside.
    You should read the forum and use the search function. Search for 'cold' and you will get hot tips for your gear, including condensation.
    Do trust your gear a bit more, man. It's not a Ming vase.

as above said.....

as in the case of the 450D. http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos...fications.html

Working temperature range 0C - 40C / 32F - 104F
    Working humidity 85% or less

if your operating environment is within the range and it conks out, should be valid for servicing. if you like stories, here is one i like..http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15200190
    Last edited by Flashbulb; 13th November 2008 at 03:39 PM.
    I photograph the dead.

When you come down from a coach to a cold place, condensation doesn't happen. It happen when you go from a cold place to a warm place, like when you step out of an air con shopping centre or car. So it should only condense when you enter the warm coach from a cool place...

Anyway, search and read up more...