Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678
Results 141 to 151 of 151

Thread: Singapore a Great Nation....

  1. #141

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Very good points.
    And that is why I say, Singapore in the early days was a great nation, although she is poor and has nothing at that time. A great nation is about the people, the poeple who made their dreams come true. And the irony is alot of them is collecting plates and cleaning tables in the hawer centres today.
    Yes you are right.

    It will still be happening accept that the helpers will be replace by more foreign workers.

    This happen everywhere but at least they can have something to do.

    The world is very real. Not everybody can have landed property. We always have the rich and the poor.

    We can have only one Defence Minister and many soilders. They form the army.

  2. #142

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    Yup it is an over-generalisation. All opinions expressed are fully personal, and should not be taken as more than that.

    It's interesting for me to note that one of the times I felt really proud to be of Chinese heritage was watching Hero. that something so beautiful and Asian could be made by a Chinese made me very happy...

    Other times I'm proud to call myself a Singaporean first and foremost, with Chinese blood.
    I agreed with you wholeheartedly. However, I also feel great that we can have Chinese & India temples, churches and mosques within close poximity to each other.

    Just look around, we see all races moving around happily inside Jurong Point and many of our Shopping Malls.

    Isnt it great?

  3. #143

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    how about the olympics?

    i am always perturbed when people tend to bring up nothing other than tiananmen (not referring to you, btw) when they talk about china, if they are anti-china. certainly it's a stain, and a horrific event, but no (relatively) older nation doesn't have anything like that somewhere in the closet.
    Decision have to be made else China may not be what she is today.

    In any nation building, blood shed is inevitable and in such time of crisis, strong leaders are needed.

  4. #144

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    I agreed with you wholeheartedly. However, I also feel great that we can have Chinese & India temples, churches and mosques within close poximity to each other.

    Just look around, we see all races moving around happily inside Jurong Point and many of our Shopping Malls.

    Isnt it great?
    I don't know whether having temples of different religions close together = great.
    in new york my doorman is latino, I buy my milk from a korean, I ride the subway next to an european and an african, I buy my food from an indian and am served the food by a mexican

    In many countries overseas multi-racial coexistence is a given, a necessity, but they don't harp about it because to them it's natural.

    it is interesting that our country is founded on the constructed myth of a multiracial society, which is why we stress it so much, whereas other countries' national mythology lies in other less tangible areas (the french revolution, the american dream).
    Does that explain why we harp on it so much?

  5. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    It's still a great country. Expensive though....

  6. #146
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Just look around, we see all races moving around happily inside Jurong Point and many of our Shopping Malls.

    Isnt it great?
    ... and when you listen to the people in the shopping malls, you hear racial slurs every now and then. Living next to each other is not living with each other. The racial harmony thing is often only skin deep facade.

  7. #147
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    it is interesting that our country is founded on the constructed myth of a multiracial society, which is why we stress it so much, whereas other countries' national mythology lies in other less tangible areas (the french revolution, the american dream).
    Does that explain why we harp on it so much?
    agree with u on this. in a globalised world many countries can claim to have a multi racial & cultural society, not just Singapore.

    maybe we have else to sing about?

  8. #148

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    it is interesting that our country is founded on the constructed myth of a multiracial society, which is why we stress it so much, whereas other countries' national mythology lies in other less tangible areas (the french revolution, the american dream).
    Does that explain why we harp on it so much?
    We harp on it because it's been brainwashed into us via the National Education programmes.

    But the reality is that people still mistrust other races a lot, which is why there's so much concern about foreign workers in our midst, for instance.

  9. #149

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    I don't know whether having temples of different religions close together = great.
    in new york my doorman is latino, I buy my milk from a korean, I ride the subway next to an european and an african, I buy my food from an indian and am served the food by a mexican

    In many countries overseas multi-racial coexistence is a given, a necessity, but they don't harp about it because to them it's natural.

    it is interesting that our country is founded on the constructed myth of a multiracial society, which is why we stress it so much, whereas other countries' national mythology lies in other less tangible areas (the french revolution, the american dream).
    Does that explain why we harp on it so much?
    That's why we are harping together.

    Those mentioned are also great. We are one of them....

  10. #150

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    It's still a great country. Expensive though....
    We cannot be cheap as we move forward...

  11. #151

    Default Re: Singapore a Great Nation....

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    We harp on it because it's been brainwashed into us via the National Education programmes.

    But the reality is that people still mistrust other races a lot, which is why there's so much concern about foreign workers in our midst, for instance.
    I dont agree with you.
    Last edited by Yappy; 25th November 2008 at 03:53 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •