Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Austria: Bad Gastein Water Falls

  1. #1

    Default Austria: Bad Gastein Water Falls

    Shot with 70-200 f4 L USM. (f=112mm, f/32, 2.5s, ISO 100, WB - sunny)



    Shot with 17-40 f4 L USM (f=33.6mm, f/22, 1s, ISO 100, WB - sunny)

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Really nice place! Which part of Austria is it in?

    I think you have made the mistake of using too long a shutter speed for a water flow rate so high to have this detrimental effect of "over-exposed" or washed-out waterfall.

    I did make the mistake myself by engaging the smallest aperture to give the longest shutter speed possible without taking into consideration of how fast the water was falling.

    Judging from the height of the waterfall, 1/8 or 1/15 sec is probably suffice.

    Where were you standing taking that shots? Your tripod didn't seem to be on a stable ground as your pics are not sharp!

    Having said that, I suspect you did not lock focus on what you intended to focus on using auto focusing. Manual focusing would have been a lot easier ...

  3. #3

    Default

    Did u post process this shot? Looks like it came straight out of camera.

  4. #4

    Default thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by jasphotography
    Really nice place! Which part of Austria is it in?

    I think you have made the mistake of using too long a shutter speed for a water flow rate so high to have this detrimental effect of "over-exposed" or washed-out waterfall.

    I did make the mistake myself by engaging the smallest aperture to give the longest shutter speed possible without taking into consideration of how fast the water was falling.

    Judging from the height of the waterfall, 1/8 or 1/15 sec is probably suffice.

    Where were you standing taking that shots? Your tripod didn't seem to be on a stable ground as your pics are not sharp!

    Having said that, I suspect you did not lock focus on what you intended to focus on using auto focusing. Manual focusing would have been a lot easier ...
    Thanks Jasto...really appreciated that. How did you judge the height of the waterfall and relate that to expose time? Can share?

    I guess not shooting with a cable release affects.

    Yes, I think the focus went off too when I saw the pics back at home..will do that with manual next time round. The parapet wall was pretty high and I had to manoevre the cam around on tripod...uugh.

    Bad Gastein is 45 min drive from Salzburg...the Austrian alps are really nice..

  5. #5

    Default yeah

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon
    Did u post process this shot? Looks like it came straight out of camera.
    No didn''t process the shot...anyhow, it was a little out of focus already...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights
    Thanks Jasto...really appreciated that. How did you judge the height of the waterfall and relate that to expose time? Can share?
    By experience dear... and with abit of judgement

    At that kind of slope the water was falling, it can't be slow. Of course, the terrian of the slope played a part too in affecting the way the water was dropping. I mean, look at those mini-falls to your left, which I feel you should capitalise on.

    I know this is empty talk on my part as occasionally, I was so overwhelmed by the big falls that all my theory failed to put into practice!

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights
    Yes, I think the focus went off too when I saw the pics back at home..will do that with manual next time round. The parapet wall was pretty high and I had to manoevre the cam around on tripod...uugh.
    ya, I can imagine that...

    and yes, manual focusing is a smarter way!

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights
    Bad Gastein is 45 min drive from Salzburg...the Austrian alps are really nice..
    yeah I bet. I believe you went there during the Summer... but I can tell you Winter was fantastic too....

  7. #7

    Default Thanks

    Thanks Jas for the encouragement!

    I say, your photos are just very very nice...dont know when can I reach that standard.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights
    Thanks Jas for the encouragement!

    I say, your photos are just very very nice...dont know when can I reach that standard.
    Thanks NorthernLights for the encourangement!

    Well, personally, I am very ruthless with my selection of pictures for people to see. So, probably what you have seen are my better ones and piles & piles of those not so ok ones are hidden or buried, never to be seen again!

    Think out of the box, not in. I mean, I will steer clear and far from the "in" things people are doing/shooting. Simply put, I am anti-social.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •