Thread: EF 135mm f/2 USM vs EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM

Default EF 135mm f/2 USM vs EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM

i am very interested to know which is better. i am looking at taking candid shots outdoors with alot of background blur. does this zoom lense offer adequete background blur even at 200mm? and thus, in terms of operability and quality of image, which is better? please do help me asap. thank you in advance
    To see the rainbow, one must first learn to put up with the rain...

Default Re: EF 135mm f/2 USM vs EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM

I've never held any of the above lenses, but I imagine that I wouldn't use the 70-200 F2.8 just for candids... The weight is a little overwhelming. 1.6kg if I remember correctly.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Candid +70-200 /2.8 do not really go together as the big white lens jsut screams for attention. The 135/2 is much lighter and would be more discreet too IMO On a 1.6 crop a 85/1.8 would be a good range as well.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

I shot street photography and candids with my 85mm 1.8 on 1.6 crop, and I find that it's a good focal length. 135mm might be a bit long for you. But 70-200 2.8IS is definitely going to be very very heavy on your arms for street photography. Big lens might give different results, ie not so candid.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

i am not very particular about the weight of the lense. but i am very particular about image quality. i have a 135/2 lense. i am very happy with the aperture opening of f/2, but i need a little more range also. so is 70-200 alright for such?
    To see the rainbow, one must first learn to put up with the rain...

Quote Originally Posted by brandonleebx View Post
    i am not very particular about the weight of the lense. but i am very particular about image quality. i have a 135/2 lense. i am very happy with the aperture opening of f/2, but i need a little more range also. so is 70-200 alright for such?
    You already know your reach currently. I'm surprised that you don't know whether the 70-200 will give you sufficient extension of reach or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    I shot street photography and candids with my 85mm 1.8 on 1.6 crop, and I find that it's a good focal length. 135mm might be a bit long for you. But 70-200 2.8IS is definitely going to be very very heavy on your arms for street photography. Big lens might give different results, ie not so candid.

Cheers,
    Zexun
    Once again I second the heavy on arms.

However, I think that using the 200mm will be more candid... He'll be at least another 10 meters further.

If the weight weren't a concern, I usually like to choose the longest possible. I currently do candids with a Sigma 70-300 all the way at 300mm... But of course, I'm just an amateur thats not entirely fussy with IQ, and cant afford these top of the line lenses. As long as its sharp its fine with me =)

There are however, some who would stand for the shorter lenses, reason being that its more ethical to at least cue to your subjects that they're being snapped at.

Technically i find the 135 sufficient for candids.. if u need more reach. then get a 200 2.8 prime... the 70-200 is big and white and screams for attention... normally i use a 10-22 for candids
    Last edited by EOS Revolution; 13th November 2008 at 01:22 PM.
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

shot with the 70-200 2.8IS on the streets...and its simply fantastic! but to not get too much attention becuz of the white, you muz gaffer the lens black
    LightSide Shooter
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by EOS Revolution View Post
    ... normally i use a 10-22 for candids
    10-22 for candid?
    you must be standing beside the object...
    Your fastest camera is as fast as your slowest lens

Quote Originally Posted by HVB88 View Post
    10-22 for candid?
    Why not?

"Oi, you taking picture of me ar?"
    "No la, I'm shooting the church behind you. See? You're not in the center"
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by HVB88 View Post
    10-22 for candid?
    Can get interesting perspectives ma. Shooting up close with a wide angle lens can be pretty fun.

Haha.. its fun to use wide angle for streets can just walk by, camera low, and shoot without looking....sometimes u get nothing, sometimes u get nice shots
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

Quote Originally Posted by EOS Revolution View Post
    Haha.. its fun to use wide angle for streets can just walk by, camera low, and shoot without looking....sometimes u get nothing, sometimes u get nice shots
    Interesting, what about focus? Should try someday.

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    Interesting, what about focus? Should try someday.
    Pre-focus your camera of course; this naturally takes a lot of practice, but it is fun to try. If you really want that shot though, bring the camera to your eye and shoot. Not worth "gimmicking" when a compelling shot is at hand imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Pre-focus your camera of course; this naturally takes a lot of practice, but it is fun to try. If you really want that shot though, bring the camera to your eye and shoot. Not worth "gimmicking" when a compelling shot is at hand imho.
    Haha I'm not ready to handle a heated argument if anything goes wrong! I'm certainly not a superfluous people-person.

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    Haha I'm not ready to handle a heated argument if anything goes wrong! I'm certainly not a superfluous people-person.
    This is getting OT, but in my (admittedly limited) experience, as long as you're not sneaky about it, and smile a lot, you will attract more curious looks than aggressive looks