Thread: seeking advice.

Red face seeking advice.

hi! im a completely new member of this forum even though i have been trawling the pages for the past few weeks..im a newbie to photography as well unless you include me borrowing my cousin's film slr once and my dads oly cam and looking at pictures to satisfy my ..

I already gained much by reading numerous posts and books from the library..but i would still appreciate your insight here...erm, ok..i have been using an olympus point and shoot i borrow from my dad and would like to get a dSLR of my own..

i have a budget of about s$1000 to at the most 1400 to buy a body with a std lens and a tele zoom up to 200mm or 300mm ..the thing is i considered nikon D40 at first.. i loved the layout of its buttons and everything was perfect except that i have large hands. the nikon grips felt inadequate. it felt insecure in my hands..even the d80 which i tried purely for the feeling of holding it did not feel 'right' in my hands..only the olympus 520 and sony alpha 200 felt comfortable...actually they were perfect in terms of grip..but for oly the 4/3 system and lack of possible expansion in the future bothered me..that left me with sony which was okay but the lens my gosh they are bloody expensive! ok i realise i can use the older konica minolta lenses..but if i want to upgrade in the future to say a more advanced camera body..it seems that canon and nikon are better options, which leaves me with incompatible lenses as i believe i want to advance as much as i can in photography...my heads spinning already..u see i have been eyeing and saving to buy a dslr for nearly 3 years. im a student see...sigh been waiting since the days of eos 350d and nikon d70..but studies and everything pushed my interest to the side and i can't wait anymore

in short i would like : entry level DSLR + std lens + 70-200/300mm lens of average quality
    gd grip like sony alpha 200 or oly 520
    possibilty of expansion of lense and upgrading of camera body.
    budget of about 1000. if die die cannot then i borrow up to 400 more

thank you. would really appreciate your help

Default Re: seeking advice.

Budget is a lil low here... and short of the D40, D60 types. You may only do better with a second hand set. And this will not include the longer zoom unless you really settle for low end ones and raising your budget.

D60 Kit (18-55mm VR) approx $900
    AF-S VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED DX approx $375
    Last edited by zac08; 12th November 2008 at 06:29 PM.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Erm.. who says you cannot upgrade to a "more advanced body" when you are on Sony or Olympus?
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra900/ or http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse3/
    Prices are going down always (since newer models will come out) and the same performance will only cost half the price in 2 years time. Don't worry too much about the bodies. Make a sound decision about the system you like (your hands-on experience seems to work well here) and then stick to it. Even if the line-up of lenses might look less nice than with other systems it is just a matter of time when the gaps are closed. And maybe once you have the budget you won't buy the stuff anymore that you are looking at right now. Interests can change

Else look out at the BnS section for some bargains
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

ok...i'm willing to ditch the tele lens..just the kit itself then..lens i can buy later..any suggestions please?

The budget you have more or less restricts you to second-hand bodies. Try looking through the BnS forums, you might just find a gem. As an aside, the grips on the Sonys are, imho, better than what Canon and Nikon can provide, though overall I prefer Canon's operations and lenses.

thanks alot for your suggestions zac08, octarine!

Quote Originally Posted by yungan View Post
    ok...i'm willing to ditch the tele lens..just the kit itself then..lens i can buy later..any suggestions please?
    Have you tried them all out already? If so, then consider only those that you like.

And next, make a comparision on the amount of accessories avail and how much they cost. Those are the variables which may be required if you expand further on. Flash, etc.

Also if you would like to go further in terms of specialized photography, like macro, etc... check if the brand supports it well.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by yungan View Post
    thanks alot for your suggestions zac08, octarine!
    you do know there are such things like adapter rings that allow Olympus lens on Canon and so on? This method you lose the technology like autofocus but you can use back your grandfather time slr lens.

for about a thousand for a full kit including dry box and other accessories...a second hand Canon 400D or similar from other brands would be good.
    I photograph the dead.