Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haha! I bloody love science!

Default Re: Haha! I bloody love science!

Quote Originally Posted by tjhan View Post
    WHAT? People get offended by the word "bloody"? Since when was it a vulgarity? Now I'm shocked.

I agree that it is indeed a substandard title and I still prefer my old title.

Anyway, did you see the original title? Apparently if I typed it out I would be punished so you all will have to guess it.

As for the signage, I disagree. There seems to be an unhealthy obsession on CS with sterile backgrounds that contain nothing but bokeh. The signage adds context, detail and humour. Previous commenters have mentioned they like it as well, I composed it intentionally...

Clunk: Thanks. There were some scientists in the previous thread as well, it's good for us science dudes to know that we are not alone lol.
    ya know, u are just a button away from being infracted again...

when i tell you to give more creative titles, i don't mean changing a vulgarity to another descriptive word which isn't related to the image.

i see most of the people who are repentant on the infractions awarded, will cease and desist... but you seem to like 'b!tching' it over and over again...
    Last edited by Del_CtrlnoAlt; 13th November 2008 at 09:45 AM.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

She needs more pens in her pockets to be a true and total science geek

I say if you are going to parady a stereotype...go the whole way

Great attempt.
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

.......As for the signage, I disagree. There seems to be an unhealthy obsession on CS with sterile backgrounds that contain nothing but bokeh. The signage adds context, detail and humour. Previous commenters have mentioned they like it as well, I composed it intentionally...
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ..... but it seems that either the lighting is weird, or you have done too much shadow recovery - just cover the top half of the picture and you'll know what i mean, that portion looks like computer graphics.
    Quote Originally Posted by psylence View Post
    I think technicalities aside, the title and picture fits nicely together, ......
    Quote Originally Posted by iRaphael View Post
    .....colours seem too contrasty for me.....
    That is why photography is an art. The best photos in CS are not necessarily the ones that follow the photographic 'rules' to the hilt...

WHAT? People get offended by the word "bloody"? Since when was it a vulgarity? Now I'm shocked.
    Definetly, bloody isn't a vulgarity, but in what context are you using the word?
    Idea similar to nude photography - art or vulgarity? It is just a matter of perspectives...
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

I do believe that in the UK, it is considered offensive, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by psylence View Post
    I think technicalities aside, the title and picture fits nicely together, tho i much prefer the vulgar version, lol!...I'm sure if we use vulgarities expressively in a positive way, it doesn't sound that bad...whats wrong with "I ****ing love science?" lol! Its not as if we dun know the word...loL! And why shud u get offended if its not directed at you to intentionally offend U? O well...just a penny worth of thoughts...
    Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    ...Idea similar to nude photography - art or vulgarity? It is just a matter of perspectives...
    If one has to resort to expletive to express themselves, then it just reflects poorly on one's skills of expression. The comparison to nude photography is a flawed one. The concept is different.

The image is a good one, but the one nitpick that bugs me is the yellow colour cast on the bridge of her nose, probably cast by an overhead fluorescent.
    Last edited by calebk; 13th November 2008 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    If one has to resort to expletive to express themselves, then it just reflects poorly on one's skills of expression.
    I agree with this point
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Del, you don't seem to appreciate what the thought process that went into the title. It's not an "unrelated" word please. Just like the original was not. You can see how some viewers here get it, why others share your points. It's all well and good to have different view points, yet desiring a uniformity of thread titles to a stringent moral standard of one's own making doesn't seem to be that appealing. Sure, it's a private domain, but I hope you see my point.

I have said it many times why I have chosen such a title. It's in the spirit of the "funny captioned pictures", if I didn't make myself clear enough, that pop up often on the Internet. I know most of you older generation folks don't share the same humour or web culture, but do try to understand k? Thanks.

Calebk: It's a word that came from the UK WHAT!! Why do you think the US doesn't use it? It may not be polite English, but certainly not the level of the c word there. Btw, you must not read or watch films much eh? Off the top of my head, classics that were loaded with expletives include Mark Twain's stuff (so bad people call for Huckleberry Finn to be banned), the Forever War (won lots of awards), Starship Troopers (possibly one of the most acclaimed scifi novels). I'm on an opposing viewpoint to you where I believe the ends justifies the means. If you need whatever to convey your original idea, just do it if not you're just bending around someone else's set of values.

Aselley: perhaps, though nowadays we use laptops more.
    Last edited by tjhan; 13th November 2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Research Institute for Unicultural Visual Arts - Riuva.com

Del, you don't seem to appreciate what the thought process that went into the title. It's not an "unrelated" word please. Just like the original was not. You can see how some viewers here get it, why others share your points. It's all well and good to have different view points, yet desiring a uniformity of thread titles to a stringent moral standard of one's own making doesn't seem to be that appealing. Sure, it's a private domain, but I hope you see my point.

I have said it many times why I have chosen such a title. It's in the spirit of the "funny captioned pictures", if I didn't make myself clear enough, that pop up often on the Internet. I know most of you older generation folks don't share the same humour or web culture, but do try to understand k? Thanks.

Calebk: It's a word that came from the UK WHAT!! Why do you think the US doesn't use it? It may not be polite English, but certainly not the level of the c word there. Btw, you must not read or watch films much eh? Off the top of my head, classics that were loaded with expletives include Mark Twain's stuff (so bad people call for Huckleberry Finn to be banned), the Forever War (won lots of awards), Starship Troopers (possibly one of the most acclaimed scifi novels). I'm on an opposing viewpoint to you where I believe the ends justifies the means. If you need whatever to convey your original idea, just do it if not you're just bending around someone else's set of values.
    Your values are your values. The forum's rules and regs are the forums rules and regs. Failure to comply is failure to comply, fine and simple.

There's no need to get personal; I watch a lot of films (I am a film student), so don't assume that I don't (I don't see any grounds to do so). I have seen my fair share of not only expletives, but unwholesome (in terms of content) mise-én-scene, all in the name of bringing across the story through screenplay or dialogue. There comes a fine line between expression and expletive.

I still stand by my point that you do not need expletives to express yourself, at least in this case, and whoever set the rules and regulations here on this forum seems to agree with this. You may be borrowing an idea from another funny caption, but at the end of the day, you are posting it on a domain governed by these rules and regulations.

Alright, that's interesting. Most of the film students I know are extremely against any form of censorship or rules, so you're one of the more unusual ones I guess. Btw I'm intrigued by your line "Failure to comply is failure to comply, fine and simple.". This alone surprises me for such thinking normally comes out of SCIENCE and engineering students, not arts students. Maybe I'm just stereotyping too much.
    Last edited by tjhan; 13th November 2008 at 02:53 PM.

yup, i'm not appreciative... even if i give the whole dictionary or thesaurus to you, i doubt you will give me any titles which conforms to the rules and regulations.

Do note that this is a public forum, not your personal forum... the rules are laid, you should follow, you can preach about art but please keep it at a level which we can all accept.

Don't give me the 'to create art, we have to break the rules' kinda thing... it just doesn't apply here...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Alright, that's interesting. Most of the film students I know are extremely against any form of censorship or rules, so you're one of the more unusual ones I guess. Btw I'm intrigued by your line "Failure to comply is failure to comply, fine and simple.". This alone surprises me for such thinking normally comes out of SCIENCE and engineering students, not arts students. Maybe I'm just stereotyping too much.
    there is a difference between trying to be artistic, and being artistic, and is artistic...

you are probably on the 1st stage... you don't understand art, only trying to regurgitate what other artist talk about art and use it as your own...

Yes, I feel that you are, and we are digressing. Just because I am against the use of expletive in this case (which is fully warranted, because the rules of this public forum state so), does not mean I am not for pushing boundaries and rules. I know where to draw the line when it comes to bending the rules, breaking them, and complying to them. Clearly, you are not as aware.

It's slowly becoming to me that there is little point to this thread. Is there so little to talk about on the image that the title is instead becoming the focal point? The photograph is always more important than the title. Honestly, even if you left it untitled we would still be able to form our own opinion. We get that it's a parody, but that's really a side-note. Focus on your own creation instead.

As with my earlier comment in the deleted thread, perhaps you'll like to talk about your compositional points in making the image. I remember you asking a poster why he couldn't give comment on 'composition on a candid', maybe you can support your point of view now (assuming this doesn't get binned again).

It is amusing for me to see a similar case here like the tourism advert in Australia on the word usage - 'bloody'. The title of the ad is "where the bloody hell are u? Come to Australia." The tourism board spent a lot on it (can't remember but was the biggest budget ever for promoting aus tourism). It aired once and was taken off air the next day. Public is cool because it was a common daily word used by Aussies and Brits, particularly Brits, even though it is often used like an F-word but hardly insulting. Try sounding angry with it. Anyway, it was taken down by the censorship because it seemed inappropriate like the case in here and it supports the image that Aus is right down under which they have been trying to get rid of.

Alright, I'll apologise for the offence my title has caused.

Fallen Phoenix: Yeah in that case they probably want to make it hip and impactful, and appeal to a certain demographic.

Del: That might be so. I don't claim to be an artist though, nor do I think what I do (eg this picture) is art. I'm pretty sure and you can check, I didn't mention it a single time nor have I ever thought it. What I seek is meaning and the means to convey it. You must have seen your fair share of wannabe-artists around in this forum or other places.

Foxtwo: I think I replied to you but you didn't see it because the thread got closed. It was quite a hefty reply too. I apologise for that. Anyway I think it's alright to generate some sort of discussion, even if it's on title selection, which should be under the general umbrella of critique.

Oh finally, in case you think my website says I am "ARTIST", it's actually also a parody in itself. It has no art elements at all, and the name serves to scoff at organisations which have bombastic names but aren't actually that pro.
    Last edited by tjhan; 13th November 2008 at 03:28 PM.

Title aside, I love that expression on her face. It looks like she found the cure to cancer.
    The sign on her back also adds to the image. This pic certainly wouldn't win any awards but it's still a fun image to look at.

As what the previous post said, Australia spent AU$180 million for the TV ad with tagline "So Where The Bloody Hell Are You?".
    This was consider alright for Aussies but it was banned in UK and Canana because of this "bloody" word which they consider as swearing. Singapore also have a tame version with "bloody hell" remove from the tagline. So blame it on cultural difference. not everybody can accept that.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_wher...ell_are_you%3F
    Last edited by m3lv1nh0; 13th November 2008 at 03:48 PM.

Hey tjhan,

Lemme guess... I dunno the whole story but... you used an offensive word the last time for the subject of your post and this time round, you decided to re-post but changed it to a milder word, but still a tad offensive? I guess your aim was to still infuriate the moderator who closed your previous post, while ostensibly defending the word "bloody" as non-offensive?

Well, I have mixed feelings here. "Bloody" is not a vulgar word, but it can be rude. And when you put it in the more conservative context over here in Singapore, plus Clubsnap, it's not well tolerated.

It all depends on the context which you seem to have ignored. I have friends who use the F word freely even with us gals around but we dun feel anything wrong cos we know what is being meant and it's all in personal, "good fun". But if you use the F word in public, you are not portraying that "fun" meaning anymore. People will view you with disdain.

So "bloody" can be seen as funny -- remember how Mr Bean used to go "Oh Bloody!" in his trademark tone? That's funny. Or you can post a sentence "That's bloddy funny" in your blog. No one cares. Xiaxue uses the F word so freely yet she is popularized even by the media. Why? Cos that's HER blog.

But Clubsnap is not yours and it has rules. Moderators are the "government". Conservative and inappropriately "picky" in their decision sometimes, as felt by people here, it's still a public "place". You don't hear politicians here say ".... bloody expensive!" Cos that's considered rude. Yes, even in a Western culture. You also don't use the description "That's a bloody good meal" in a middle to high class Western restaurant. You will look uneducated. So you do have to respect that rule. That authority or situation.

I don't seem to find any objective in the post anymore, other than you trying to irrate the moderators? If you don't agree to the rules or authoritative nature of the moderator, then perhaps a better place to post the pic would be elsewhere. No offence. But that's what I would do.

(I find unless you know each other, postings in Clubsnap always inevitably end up with petty quarrels. Are Singaporeans really so free or fed up with their lives that they have to take it out on others? I think sometimes, it's about "letting it go", "taking it easy" and about knowing that people will always have differences in opinions and that needs to be respected.)

Oh there was no swear word, only a ***king. Which of course means, Seaking, the evolved Pokemon.

Oh there was no swear word, only a ***king. Which of course means, Seaking, the evolved Pokemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjhan
    Hello,

This is a picture titled "I f**king LOVE SCIENCE!!".
    hmm, u good job trying to bluff your way thru...

anyway, i'm deleting this thread later...

Guys, this is the Critique Corner.

The forum do not allow use of vulgar words. Period.

And the Critique Corner do not welcome off topic discussions. Period...again...

Finally, to tjhan, this could have been a really small matter. Just let it go. Period...one more time...

This thread is closed hereby closed. PERIOD.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12