Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

  1. #1
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    The best output for my TV is S-Video cable.
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    kinda funny rite... u buy ps3 main purpose is to put beside the tv or to use to play game?

    if everyone use hdmi for ps3, then i sony should make hdmi the only port to use... force every gamer to upgrade their tv everytime they release something new... and now still need to make sure can have HDCP...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    kinda funny rite... u buy ps3 main purpose is to put beside the tv or to use to play game?

    if everyone use hdmi for ps3, then i sony should make hdmi the only port to use... force every gamer to upgrade their tv everytime they release something new... and now still need to make sure can have HDCP...
    But I wonder if the graphic will suffer....and I may not enjoy the beautiful texture of the game
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    But I wonder if the graphic will suffer....and I may not enjoy the beautiful texture of the game
    then buy a new tv lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    then buy a new tv lor...
    wah extra cost...But I wonder if the graphic on CRT is Ok. Would like to hear the feedback from others who are using CRT TV as well
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    I suggest you buy a new TV first. It's just like buying a 5d mark ii then you use a cheapo lens along with it. Kind of a waste.
    Nikon D7000 + D90 + 50 f1.4d | 80-200 f2.8 | T 12-24 f4 | S 30 f1.4 | 18-200
    Multiply

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    just curious, how big is your TV?

    if your TV is less than 21" no significant differences at all... if below 29" only negligible differences... since its Svideo, at least better than the composite, but use a component will be better...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooterZ View Post
    I suggest you buy a new TV first. It's just like buying a 5d mark ii then you use a cheapo lens along with it. Kind of a waste.
    i think his tv at least 5 years old... probably should get a cheap LCD with HDMI...

    a CRT without component is like quite historical already.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooterZ View Post
    I suggest you buy a new TV first. It's just like buying a 5d mark ii then you use a cheapo lens along with it. Kind of a waste.
    True.

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    just curious, how big is your TV?

    if your TV is less than 21" no significant differences at all... if below 29" only negligible differences... since its Svideo, at least better than the composite, but use a component will be better...
    It's 29"
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    Hi

    A PS 3 is a High Definition player and will show off Blu Ray movies at very high image quality. But if you only wish to watch SD DVDs a simple player costing under $200 with a HDMI output will suffice. If you are only going to use S -Video, even those sold at NTUC will do.

    If your funds are limited but you wish to venture into Hi Def, this is indeed a way to begin. But the PS 3 will benefit from a HD ready or Full HD screen. These can start from under 1k nett.
    Don't scrimp on this, for example the Panasonic PV 8 42" plasma TV is going for about 1399$ plus 700$ worth of vouchers.

    For more display info, try this place:

    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/fo...prune=30&f=226

    And here:

    http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12.0

    Cheers

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    The best output for my TV is S-Video cable.
    Last edited by petetherock; 11th November 2008 at 03:05 PM.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

  11. #11

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    Lunas,
    do u have a LCD monitor? can consider using that for PS3 also, if it's big enough.

  12. #12
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1010 View Post
    Lunas,
    do u have a LCD monitor? can consider using that for PS3 also, if it's big enough.
    Yea, cheap one. That was purchased in 2003. Quite old already.

    Hmm...guess at this point in time isn't a time to get the PS3....Many Thanks for the advice, guys. They are really useful.

    Hmm...maybe I should get a fish eye lens instead...what do you think? Any user of fish eye lens?
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Should I get a PS3 even if I am using CRT TV?

    Quote Originally Posted by lunas View Post
    wah extra cost...But I wonder if the graphic on CRT is Ok. Would like to hear the feedback from others who are using CRT TV as well
    well, i'm playing my xbox360 on a 34" CRT TV ... i'm enjoying the game ... its the gameplay that count, graphics look ok on my TV, i know that HD TV will show better gfx. but to get another TV is extra cost and my old TV is still going strong..

    my take is, if you enjoy playing ps3 games, by all means, go and get it... it really is very playable on a CRT TV... but i would suggest at least use component video instead of s-video...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •