Thread: Mouldy camera bag -- what to do?

Default Mouldy camera bag -- what to do?

Hi guys,

Need some advice here. I've barely stored my Lowepro camera bag for 2 months and when I took it out, there are white spots here and there on the outside of the bag! The humidity in our country is really high.

I'm sure some of you have experienced this also? What do you all do? Just wipe it away or is there a bag washing company that does cleaning of bags?

I thought of simply wiping it away but the thought that there are residual mould somehow makes me feel uneasy. I'm not even sure if the mould could be lurking inside the bag also.

Any advice appreciated! Thank u!

Default Re: Mouldy camera bag -- what to do?

What i usually do is dilute a little bit of bleach on amount of water and use it to damp a cloth to wipe...... or u can replace bleach with vinegar.....

Thanks chalib,

Bleach? Not the kind that makes your clothes whiter right?

Will using vinegar leave any smell on the bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post
    Thanks chalib,

Yes, bleach. Almost nothing else will kill the mold. Best if you use a nice diluted bleach/water mix and soak the bag since the mould roots are in the bag padding.

Usually the outside of Lowepro bags are polyester, which shouldn't get affected too much.

As a more expensive alternative that smells better, you could try buying a can of lysol and really soak the bag in it. Then let it dry in the sun.
    Alpha

Blog Entries

a good sun tan will always work wonders

there are bag washing companies, search the threads, i have read about it before.
    bleach will kill almost everything, be careful about the strength of your bleach and how long you apply it

Hi guys,

Need some advice here. I've barely stored my Lowepro camera bag for 2 months and when I took it out, there are white spots here and there on the outside of the bag! The humidity in our country is really high.

I'm sure some of you have experienced this also? What do you all do? Just wipe it away or is there a bag washing company that does cleaning of bags?

I thought of simply wiping it away but the thought that there are residual mould somehow makes me feel uneasy. I'm not even sure if the mould could be lurking inside the bag also.

Any advice appreciated! Thank u!
    You can send it for dry cleaning... some laundry services accept bags. Or just wipe it with damp cloth.

For storage you can put it in a drawer together with sillica gel or other drying agents. Don't forget to put some sillica gel on the inside part too!
    Achetez ce que vous souhaitez, pas ce que vous voulez...

Head to the supermarket and check out the cleaning aisle...there are colour safe bleaches available...if you dilute them you should not have to worry about yoru bag and you will kill the mould.
    Canon 400D + BG-E3 . EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS . EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 IS
    http://aselley.zenfolio.com/

My Canon bag also got moldy after 1.5 years extensive usage. I just soaked it in water and Dettol for 2 days. After properly rinsing and drying and it's fine since then. Sure, the Dettol smell was still there for some months. But maybe that was a good warning for all fungus to stay away

Thanks chalib,

Yeap that is the one....

Best is after that sun it. Vinegar smell will stay for a while...

Many ways.

As some have suggested, color safe bleach works, and is probably the most accessible and easiest to use. Also, a good sunning works, but be careful about how securely you attach your bag to your laundry pole or fixtures if you're on a lower floor (assuming you stay in an apartment). My friend's bag was stolen when he hung it out to dry.

Natural or organic vinegar works well, and if used slightly diluted (anything from 1:1 or more) usually dries with little or no smell. Heinz natural white vinegar costs only $2+ from most supermarkets.

All the best for your bag!

Thanks everyone, for your very useful replies!!

So when you say soak, does it mean REALLY soak, including the inside of the bag where the velcro, paddings, etc are? The bleach won't damage the surface?

I'm not sure if mould will grow there, but it somehow gives me greater "comfort" that my camera stuffs are lying inside a mould-free bag.

Looks like I need to search for a very large basin to soak me bag....

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone, for your very useful replies!!

So when you say soak, does it mean REALLY soak, including the inside of the bag where the velcro, paddings, etc are? The bleach won't damage the surface?

I'm not sure if mould will grow there, but it somehow gives me greater "comfort" that my camera stuffs are lying inside a mould-free bag.

Looks like I need to search for a very large basin to soak me bag....

Thanks again.
    Mold can grow there too. It's dark and warm, perfect for mold. So yes, soak it!!
    Alpha

Isopropyl alcohol does the trick for any moldy things for me.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

hey there..

i usually wash my cam bag once in a while and then leave it out in the scorching sun to dry.. i guess the sun is a good source to remove bacteria and eventually preventing mould.. =)

Cool. I learnt something here today !

Really useful information guys....

Snap ?

Quote Originally Posted by faa View Post
    hey there..

i usually wash my cam bag once in a while and then leave it out in the scorching sun to dry.. i guess the sun is a good source to remove bacteria and eventually preventing mould.. =)
    Yup, the UV radiation works wonders.
    Alpha

Yes, really soak it. I put my bag into a bucket and filled it with water and Dettol. Left it there for 2 days and rinsed it carefully. If you find the surface damaged you a) used too much bleach or b) got a copy intended for domestic market in China - Check the description at the bottle and follow the recommendations for hand wash.

spray tons of lysol is better :P
    chezburgr i can haz?

Got washing instruction label? Haha. Check see whether can bleach or not. Some bleach may be too strong for the bag. If the condition is not too bad, the best is to wipe off using a damp cloth and sun.

Read somewhere that if stuff newspapers into the bag, it will prevent mould from growing because the papers help to absorb moisture... Not really sure if it does work...

So next time if you need to store ur bag inside some closet for long period of time, maybe can try?