Thread: places for budget adventures

Default places for budget adventures

i'm into diving and backpacking..which i've only recently started (after army)..before that in poly so no financial means to go anywhere on my own...

so far i've been diving around malaysia and backpacked through parts of vietnam...

where else can one of modest means go to find some adventure and photo taking opportunities?

had bhutan in mind till i found out it wasn't really what i had in store (financially)..great opportunity it seems though...

thought of kinabalu too...

perhaps we could all share our experiences here?

out of singapore of course..no ubin, tekong, sister islands etc...

Default Re: places for budget adventures

just came back from Hanoi...USD20 lasts us 3days for food... hotel stay (3star - no backpacking) USD35 per day...2 to stay per room so USD17.50 per day...
    Nikon D300s, 50mm, 18-105mm, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8, Samyang 8mm F3.5

Within this region, u can also check out laos & cambodia. Basic accomodation will be about USD5-20 per pax per night. Land transportation is reasonable as well. For unknown reasons, travelling by water in Cambodia is slower & more ex.

Rajastan in India is another nice place... accomodation is fairly cheap as well.. abt USD10-20 per pax but many places have double rooms only... But I paid alot for a private car & driver.. cost me avt USD700 for abt a week inclusive of petrol & food/lodging for the driver. U can save on that if u dont mind going public.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    i'm into diving and backpacking..which i've only recently started (after army)..before that in poly so no financial means to go anywhere on my own...

so far i've been diving around malaysia and backpacked through parts of vietnam...

where else can one of modest means go to find some adventure and photo taking opportunities?

had bhutan in mind till i found out it wasn't really what i had in store (financially)..great opportunity it seems though...

thought of kinabalu too...

perhaps we could all share our experiences here?

out of singapore of course..no ubin, tekong, sister islands etc...
    been to Malaysia and Vietnam but you never been to Indonesia? You missed a lot in term of adventure seeking trip

Arrow Re: places for budget adventures

I concur, Indonesia.

no bro, haven't been to indon yet...just started exploring the region recently and i still studying, so budget is tight.. financing myself! haha

which part of indonesia would be good to start off with?

how's bandung like? is it a good place to travel on my own?

i am interested. but not so keen ard the region. been to Nepal so not sure if i want to go to bhutan. Was thinking of pakistan or sri lanka but too busy to do research. Looking for like minded travelers. Can spare Dec (some time) and definitely looking to go away during CNY.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

problem with pakistan is the potential threats there:
    http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...dvice/pakistan

Bandung is OK, you can get many mountain/landscape pictures out of it. Most of the tourist highlites in Bandung are mountains.
    Good food, plenty of factory outlets for cheap "branded" clothing for your shopping needs.
    The problem is transportation. You need to rely on the public transport and it's not actually the best in the world.
    For first timer to Indonesia (java in particular), I'd recommend Jogjakarta.

Sulawesi!!

Quote Originally Posted by agentmonkey View Post
    which part of indonesia would be good to start off with?
    Depends on what kind of adventure you are seeking.

White water rafting, diving, mountain trekking, caving, sea shore exploration, rock climbing, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ndut View Post
    Bandung is OK, you can get many mountain/landscape pictures out of it. Most of the tourist highlites in Bandung are mountains.
    Good food, plenty of factory outlets for cheap "branded" clothing for your shopping needs.
    The problem is transportation. You need to rely on the public transport and it's not actually the best in the world.
    For first timer to Indonesia (java in particular), I'd recommend Jogjakarta.
    he's seeking adventure.

Going to Jogja will result to be slacking trip. Eating, shopping, sight seeing and such. Although I agree, it is one of the safest place other than Bali for a foreign tourist

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    Depends on what kind of adventure you are seeking.

White water rafting, diving, mountain trekking, caving, sea shore exploration, rock climbing, etc?
    diving is probably out at the moment because it'll eat up too much of my budget..but i'm open to pretty much everything else..caving sounds good

heard there are extinct volcanoes to be seen at bandung...

is bandung safe to travel on your own?