Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: Information and Practical Suggestions to working as Models & Photographers

  1. #21

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    It's nice but the calculations are inverted. We know younger, prettier models can command better rates than "mature" models, usually.

    And frankly, if it's $3K a month, it's easier to work as a secretary earning at least that, plus you get annual leave, benefits, medical, etc.

    Anyone working for himself has got to earn a lot more than what he would earn in a corporate job, else what's the point of giving up the corporate benefits and assuming all the risks of self-employment?

    I think most professional models know how much they should charge, they learn very quickly that they are not charging enough to cover the rent, they either raise their charges or exit the industry.

    It's the weekend/part-timers we see on CS who have no clue on how much they should charge. They think they should charge $150 per hour, they want $150 per hour, but they do not have the skills and attitude of a professional model who charges $150 per hour.

    Quote Originally Posted by ejunlow View Post
    Some issues i find interesting.

    1. Here's a general idea of how much you'll need to earn to sustain yourself (a decent living standard) locally.. assuming u're self employed and working for a living

    15-20 - $1500/month ave.
    20-25 - $2000/month ave.
    25-35 - $3000/month ave.
    35-50 - $4500/month ave.

    That's about what i feel is minimal, if you want to be a freelance model ( i feel it's only sensible to add a fair amount to that minimum price / since modeling is "supposed" to be a glam job and hey.. if u wanna earn this little, u might as well take on an administrative job.

    so for the majority of young female models here, at 18-23 years of age, you really should go for a min. $3000 salary a month (also consider, a model's commercial shelf live is pretty limited, i'd say 30ish for most... by that time, you'll want to have earned enough to do something more tangible... run a boutique, spa.. watever.. so. if u're not hitting your 3k salary a month... *Seriously* consider changing careers and do hospitality with a major hotel or something...

    here's more interesting stuff..

    how we usually calculate hourly rates goes something like this (this is one of the standard advertising formulas we use):

    (Annual Salary) divided by (Total productive work hours in a year) + ave Overhead cost (transport/living cost/necessities blah) + Commercial Profit

    = 36000 (salary x 12mnth) / 1600 (80% of 2080 hours) x OH multiplier 3x+ 25% profit
    = 22.5 x 3 + 25%
    = $84.375/hour

    not alot of money considering your immense Overheads like makeup and accessories/hair and pedicure visits and of course your monthly overheads... in fact, $85 dollars after all the hoohaaa... u only end up with an extremely small profit margin... it's only wise to crank it up to $100 - $150 dollars/hr.

  2. #22
    Senior Member ejunlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stevens Road
    Posts
    2,517

    Exclamation Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Couldnt Agree more...

    Modeling, by the nature of the job is seen as something glamourous (to those that are drawn to becoming a model in the first place) and indeed for those few that do get into the limelight.. it IS pretty lucrative... What waileong mentioned is also a very practical truth... Self employed models earning 3k a month is suicidal (think of your facials, pedicure/medicures, hair treatments, gucci bags, prada wallets,jimmy choo shoes........ and some might ask why are agency models happy billing $150/hr... it's probably cause they've an agency providing them with the jobs.... Freelance models on the otherhand should be billing much more... to make up for the lesser amount of jobs available. That said however, a freelance model that has the means and network to do proper freelance should actually have more potential since you decided to go into freelance modeling..

    And i second waileong's thoughts that freelance models ARE models... and have the capacity, calibre and competency to be one... In truth (to a certain degree) the MODELS we see here in clubsnap are Models (by the nature of action rather than by career nor professions) and most certainly, the vast majority of them dont ever make a living out of it... (for goodness sakes, i'd lay bets that 90% of them are schooling students).. and event models (by local standards) are hardly considered professional models are all... I broadly distinguish the following categories...

    1. Model (by profession)
    2. Model (by action of posing for a photographer)
    3. Model (by nature of role in an events/tradeshow)

    And certainly not to be mistaken for the use of the word TALENT... at least in the local industry, Talent usually refers to models pertaining to TV/Film/MotionAds. I've even spoken to some very beautiful ladies from clubsnap that feel it's almost embarressing when people call them models... and those few, while they certainly know they look very good... also know the difference between posing for the camera and doing modeling as a full-time job...

    Again, it's debatable since I know a handful that actually depend on this side income to make up the numbers when times are bad.... and to be all honest, some actually have a good potential to becoming a local celebrity... but for many others out there... The local modeling industry demands more than just a beautiful face... which to put Singapore ladies in good perspective... we have a lot of decent looking females here.... Models need to LOOK like a model.... not just look good... plus the most prominent flaws of being a local? females average at 5ft 3"

    Okay, now that's just talking about making it work as a career... but this doesnt mean you can't make monies out of sideline modeling for photographers and organisers.... For those really keen to make money out of pictorial modeling.... there are kind people here more than willing to share info on how to get started....

    On the issue that Part-Timers and Weekend models (by the role they play in posing for cameras) havent a clue on how much they charge... and want to charge $150/hr.. there's really nothing wrong... Like mentioned....previously.. I've models that grew out from clubsnap billing assignments with a minimum fee of $300/hr... Why's that possible? Simple... because these ladies have a full-time job... and they only accept assignments that they feel is appropriate and adequately compensated.... which i feel ought to be the way things work... And modeling is a service industry... and it's led by what marketing people call "DEMAND"... If someone ugly wants to bill $150/hr, Photographer have an option NOT to use her... (so any photographers that say, you WANABES are crazy to charge that high... is probably not very tactful... Give a similar scenario...ME... while i certainly dont shoot very well.... my clients pay 2-3k for a half hour session down at their offices.. Why do we charge that high? like mentioned previously.. it's because of our ridiculous overheads... and on another matter of WHY would clients pay you that much ... that's probably due to knowing how to market oneself.....

    Commercial Modeling is like Commercial Photography... the bottom line isnt about always about SKILL... it's about NEGOTIATIONS

    If a model in Clubsnap feels that billing $50/hr makes a part of their income... then i'm sure there's always people willing to pay that price.. And while certainly everyone wants to bill MORE.... not everyone has the capacity to do so... because unless you are chosen for the job for a specific ROLE (example... 36DDD for lingerie)... it's unlikely any amaetuer photographer would pay anything more than what they hope they can pay..

    On the idea that lingerie / nude photography costs more.... here's the big myth revealed...Proffesional nudes models don't necessarily bill more because they do it for a living.. Nude models typically have attributes that make them more inclined for photographers shooting nudes ( and i'm not talking about BIG bosoms and liquid eyes...) Professional nude models are often flatter chested, extremely low body fat ratio, and well toned.... (think YOGA people)... and how much do we pay nude models when we're in school? well.. at about $100 for A PAIR!!!/session.. (okay that's back when we're in school, but hey... those are PROS)

    And specifically, within these forums, i've seen an increase in "COME SHOOT FOR SEXUAL DESIRE" kinda sessions... and while sex sells..... It seldom sells the professionalism of commercial photographers... Trust me on this... Professional portrait photographers/ fashion photographers is UNLIKELY to attend any organised shoot NO MATTER how sexy the girls are... and the demand for these organised shoots are (with no disrespect to anyone) either for the photographers that want to learn more, or treat photography as a passion, OR really love shooting people...

    Ever since i started shooting commercially.... I feel spending weekends more fruitful when i'm with my girlfriend.. rather than facing what we consider work..

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    It's nice but the calculations are inverted. We know younger, prettier models can command better rates than "mature" models, usually.

    And frankly, if it's $3K a month, it's easier to work as a secretary earning at least that, plus you get annual leave, benefits, medical, etc.

    Anyone working for himself has got to earn a lot more than what he would earn in a corporate job, else what's the point of giving up the corporate benefits and assuming all the risks of self-employment?

    I think most professional models know how much they should charge, they learn very quickly that they are not charging enough to cover the rent, they either raise their charges or exit the industry.

    It's the weekend/part-timers we see on CS who have no clue on how much they should charge. They think they should charge $150 per hour, they want $150 per hour, but they do not have the skills and attitude of a professional model who charges $150 per hour.
    Last edited by ejunlow; 13th November 2008 at 11:36 AM.
    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

  3. #23
    Senior Member ejunlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stevens Road
    Posts
    2,517

    Exclamation Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    [How to overcome all the odds and get the clients you need if you still decide to eat campbell soup for the first year of your working life.....]

    I previously wrote some of my personal opinions on becoming a commercial photographer... and here's some things that might be informative for people that actually want to do this despite all the odds....

    1. Save Money:

    Whenever you can, and if the need really arises from a super large format image.. then go rent a MF.. otherwise, shooting personal private portraits for people (especially if the brief states it's for WEB use) wont need anything more than a 300D or D70 ...

    A good idea is to invest in your own body.... and rent specialised lenses... I mean, i'm not a big fan of renting since it's a hassle if you break anything... but if L lenses are beyond your budget, and you have a wedding shoot that needs a decent walk-about lens.. (24-105 F4example) then it's a good idea to rent.. ROI for renting almost covers itself with that single project.

    2. Save MORE Money:

    Avoid spending if you want to be a self-employed... and always think of how to make the most of your investments... $80 for a dinner for two or a Sandisc Ducati edition CF card... you make the choice... one reduces your download time by half, the other makes you feel good one evening and the next day you're hungry again....

    Remember.... your very first problems is usually NOT clients.... it's about NOT having good paying clients... I've mentioned previously to give yourself an idea what you need to survive on a hourly basis.. do this simple maths...

    Expected Salary x 12 month.. Divided that by 1600 hours.. add your Overhead cost (calculated by adding up all you ever owned, bills, fees, depreciation costs divided by month and then by hours to see how much you're spending per hour on overheads).. and finally add your profit margin... and even freelancers or partimers will find it unworthy to shoot a wedding for $500/day....

    But why would you do it then??? simply because you might need the portfolio to show you've done it before... and therefore, increase your future intangible value to your new clients... however, charging cheap firsthand, would probably mean they'll expect you to be that cheap again.

    [ SO WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT ]

    This is the logical part of the explainations...

    First and foremost, Get yourself a job that grants you EXCESS TIME, like commision-based jobs... sell cars, sell bikes, sell on ebay, sell used stuf... whatever and you'll pretty much have a side income that ensures you can eat your char kway teow when you dont get any clients in the first few months... but No way you wanna let it stay that way... so here's how to move on and get MORE clients...

    Having more clients doesnt always guarantee you more jobs... however it does get you more exposure... and in photography, the more people see your images, the more they recognise your style of photography.. and when you can successully show an image without your signature under and people THINK OF YOU... you've pretty much beaten the initial odds of becoming RECOGNISABLE...

    Why's that important? simply because photography's SO popular now.... back when I did photography in school .... having a film slr walking around the street makes me feel like a tourist.... now... i see secondary school kids with a D300 in MOS burger....If your images dont sell you direct.... you're actually helping to sell any other photographer your clients can remember on first thought... so first and foremost....

    CREATE YOUR NICHE..

    Find the market you're most keen to capture, or have the most knowledge about... whether it is you having the necessary gift of the gab to shoot AD weddings or if you can work comfortable with new models and shoot fashion photographer.. the CHOICE is yours.. however, know what the demands are in the market... Locally speaking... the most common jobs is probably Weddings... and that's why so many of photographers starting out actually do wedding photography.... think about it.... for half a days work, we earn upwards of 1.5k... seems like easy money? think again!... after shooting you need to run through thousands of images, you need to DI selectively, you'll need to burn and go through with your clients... all of which (for someone lazy like me) is a big big hassle...

    Well... that's just an example that your job really depends on how well you're able to make the most of it... and if you have the oppurtunity when you're new and starting out... it might be a good idea to shoot various projects from simple ones to complex ones that you've to get guidances from online tutorials or ask an experienced senior photographer how to setup etc... But shooting many general projects will definately give you a good idea of WHAT you want to end up specialising in....

    A good photographer can shoot ANYTHING.... but they dont.. simply because most of their equipment is catered for a specialised category... A fashion photographer might never ever do weddings because you seldom bring strobes down on location to shoot.. and if you ask him to buy a new speedlight... i'd very much think he rather invest in a new lighting accessory..... In other words, Right from the start... quickly get an idea of where you want to head for... and head for it... avoid spending excessively on things you dont need... If you only ever gonna do ONE fireworks shoot... u dont have to buy a carbon fibre tripod for 800 bucks and a shutter release cable even if it's a few dollars..

    GO RENT!

    NEXT: How to get exposure through YOUR WEB
    Last edited by ejunlow; 13th November 2008 at 04:17 PM.
    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

  4. #24

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Funny the way you talk, yet there's another thread talking about how expensive $250 an hour is for a model.


    Quote Originally Posted by ejunlow View Post
    Couldnt Agree more...

    Modeling, by the nature of the job is seen as something glamourous (to those that are drawn to becoming a model in the first place) and indeed for those few that do get into the limelight.. it IS pretty lucrative... What waileong mentioned is also a very practical truth... Self employed models earning 3k a month is suicidal (think of your facials, pedicure/medicures, hair treatments, gucci bags, prada wallets,jimmy choo shoes........ and some might ask why are agency models happy billing $150/hr... it's probably cause they've an agency providing them with the jobs.... Freelance models on the otherhand should be billing much more... to make up for the lesser amount of jobs available. That said however, a freelance model that has the means and network to do proper freelance should actually have more potential since you decided to go into freelance modeling..

    And i second waileong's thoughts that freelance models ARE models... and have the capacity, calibre and competency to be one... In truth (to a certain degree) the MODELS we see here in clubsnap are Models (by the nature of action rather than by career nor professions) and most certainly, the vast majority of them dont ever make a living out of it... (for goodness sakes, i'd lay bets that 90% of them are schooling students).. and event models (by local standards) are hardly considered professional models are all... I broadly distinguish the following categories...

    1. Model (by profession)
    2. Model (by action of posing for a photographer)
    3. Model (by nature of role in an events/tradeshow)

    And certainly not to be mistaken for the use of the word TALENT... at least in the local industry, Talent usually refers to models pertaining to TV/Film/MotionAds. I've even spoken to some very beautiful ladies from clubsnap that feel it's almost embarressing when people call them models... and those few, while they certainly know they look very good... also know the difference between posing for the camera and doing modeling as a full-time job...

    Again, it's debatable since I know a handful that actually depend on this side income to make up the numbers when times are bad.... and to be all honest, some actually have a good potential to becoming a local celebrity... but for many others out there... The local modeling industry demands more than just a beautiful face... which to put Singapore ladies in good perspective... we have a lot of decent looking females here.... Models need to LOOK like a model.... not just look good... plus the most prominent flaws of being a local? females average at 5ft 3"

    Okay, now that's just talking about making it work as a career... but this doesnt mean you can't make monies out of sideline modeling for photographers and organisers.... For those really keen to make money out of pictorial modeling.... there are kind people here more than willing to share info on how to get started....

    On the issue that Part-Timers and Weekend models (by the role they play in posing for cameras) havent a clue on how much they charge... and want to charge $150/hr.. there's really nothing wrong... Like mentioned....previously.. I've models that grew out from clubsnap billing assignments with a minimum fee of $300/hr... Why's that possible? Simple... because these ladies have a full-time job... and they only accept assignments that they feel is appropriate and adequately compensated.... which i feel ought to be the way things work... And modeling is a service industry... and it's led by what marketing people call "DEMAND"... If someone ugly wants to bill $150/hr, Photographer have an option NOT to use her... (so any photographers that say, you WANABES are crazy to charge that high... is probably not very tactful... Give a similar scenario...ME... while i certainly dont shoot very well.... my clients pay 2-3k for a half hour session down at their offices.. Why do we charge that high? like mentioned previously.. it's because of our ridiculous overheads... and on another matter of WHY would clients pay you that much ... that's probably due to knowing how to market oneself.....

    Commercial Modeling is like Commercial Photography... the bottom line isnt about always about SKILL... it's about NEGOTIATIONS

    If a model in Clubsnap feels that billing $50/hr makes a part of their income... then i'm sure there's always people willing to pay that price.. And while certainly everyone wants to bill MORE.... not everyone has the capacity to do so... because unless you are chosen for the job for a specific ROLE (example... 36DDD for lingerie)... it's unlikely any amaetuer photographer would pay anything more than what they hope they can pay..

    On the idea that lingerie / nude photography costs more.... here's the big myth revealed...Proffesional nudes models don't necessarily bill more because they do it for a living.. Nude models typically have attributes that make them more inclined for photographers shooting nudes ( and i'm not talking about BIG bosoms and liquid eyes...) Professional nude models are often flatter chested, extremely low body fat ratio, and well toned.... (think YOGA people)... and how much do we pay nude models when we're in school? well.. at about $100 for A PAIR!!!/session.. (okay that's back when we're in school, but hey... those are PROS)

    And specifically, within these forums, i've seen an increase in "COME SHOOT FOR SEXUAL DESIRE" kinda sessions... and while sex sells..... It seldom sells the professionalism of commercial photographers... Trust me on this... Professional portrait photographers/ fashion photographers is UNLIKELY to attend any organised shoot NO MATTER how sexy the girls are... and the demand for these organised shoots are (with no disrespect to anyone) either for the photographers that want to learn more, or treat photography as a passion, OR really love shooting people...

    Ever since i started shooting commercially.... I feel spending weekends more fruitful when i'm with my girlfriend.. rather than facing what we consider work..

  5. #25
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Quite a bit of info, but one thing I picked up immediately is:

    15-20 - $1500/month ave.
    20-25 - $2000/month ave.
    25-35 - $3000/month ave.
    35-50 - $4500/month ave.

    I think these sort of pay expectations may only be applicable towards degree holders or at least good diploma holders. There are many people earning less than these "expected" amounts in real life Singapore.

    Hence, unless the equation for models is the same pay expectation as degree holders or good diploma holders, these expectations may somewhat be unrealistic.

  6. #26
    Senior Member ejunlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stevens Road
    Posts
    2,517

    Exclamation Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    To be honest,I wrote that guideline based on what's average in the industry i'm familiar with (advertising).. and in our line, we seldom judge competency by paper work... sure.. that probably gives our staff a 10-15% incentive over something without a degree.. but Models like designers... is more than often judge by their portfolio and general competency..

    And while it's true that many people are earning less than these expected amounts in real life.. i'm fully in for making models a career that is at least equivelant to that of an admin worker earning that sorta salary a month.... any less.. then waileong said it.. might be better off being a secretary and one important point to add... working models (freelance / full-time) probably have the a very limited shelf life - compared to other jobs out there... you wont expect anyone to be modeling at 40 would you? so... if they dont earn that much while they're able... i seriously don't think they should consider modeling at all..

    And that's something that's good to inform any people that wanna make it a career... Modeling isn't all THAT lucrative unless you have absolutely what it takes...


    Thanks for the input vince! good to hear various opinions really...


    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Quite a bit of info, but one thing I picked up immediately is:

    15-20 - $1500/month ave.
    20-25 - $2000/month ave.
    25-35 - $3000/month ave.
    35-50 - $4500/month ave.

    I think these sort of pay expectations may only be applicable towards degree holders or at least good diploma holders. There are many people earning less than these "expected" amounts in real life Singapore.

    Hence, unless the equation for models is the same pay expectation as degree holders or good diploma holders, these expectations may somewhat be unrealistic.
    Last edited by ejunlow; 13th November 2008 at 09:36 PM.
    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

  7. #27
    Senior Member ejunlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stevens Road
    Posts
    2,517

    Exclamation Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Funny the way you talk, yet there's another thread talking about how expensive $250 an hour is for a model.
    well .. that really depends on who's hiring.... commercial clients (besides identifying and choosing the model) hardly ever bother about the cost of the model itself.. when the fees that go into the agency and media probably accounts for 70% of the entire campaign/shoot budget..

    Ask an ametuer starting out and wants to shoot a pretty girl that bills $250.. than that's another matter... but comparatively, should they go find a reputable agency... that's the practical prices they're paying..

    Well ... no one can argue what's expensive or not... and it's a result of whether you're in any demand or not..... funny huh.. $15 chong qingsteam boat can eat.... $85 dollar buffet at the Line also can eat... it's really just what you want to eat.. and if you think the additional 70 for "intangible" feeling of GOODNESS in a hotel is worth it.. then that $70 is well spent..

    *talking about food... i feel so sorry for the cleaner...(the one with the bengals)*
    Last edited by ejunlow; 13th November 2008 at 09:44 PM.
    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

  8. #28

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    On the contrary, I think if a model can't make $10k per month, might as well not be a freelance model.

    You can earn $3-4K as a secretary, if you are more skilled, you can earn $5-6k, maybe $8k. And that comes with CPF, benefits, leave, etc. and job security, chances of promotion, bonus, etc.

    All the risk, the short shelf life, the unpredictable work schedule, etc...

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Quite a bit of info, but one thing I picked up immediately is:

    15-20 - $1500/month ave.
    20-25 - $2000/month ave.
    25-35 - $3000/month ave.
    35-50 - $4500/month ave.

    I think these sort of pay expectations may only be applicable towards degree holders or at least good diploma holders. There are many people earning less than these "expected" amounts in real life Singapore.

    Hence, unless the equation for models is the same pay expectation as degree holders or good diploma holders, these expectations may somewhat be unrealistic.
    Last edited by waileong; 13th November 2008 at 10:23 PM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member ejunlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stevens Road
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Agreed... but what's comfortable for one might not be comfortable for another... and what's 10k a month if you have a need to spend it... but yeah... Why are there so many people that wanna be models (the profession) huh.... and also.. why are there so many people that wanna be photographers (the profession)!?!?


    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    On the contrary, I think if a model can't make $10k per month, might as well not be a freelance model.

    You can earn $3-4K as a secretary, if you are more skilled, you can earn $5-6k, maybe $8k. And that comes with CPF, benefits, leave, etc. and job security, chances of promotion, bonus, etc.

    All the risk, the short shelf life, the unpredictable work schedule, etc...
    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

  10. #30
    Senior Member ejunlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stevens Road
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Curious to know, how much is the average photographer here billing per hour? Anyone wants to share their rates and the job done? Or maybe share what's the minimal and maximum sum you're been commisioned for...
    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

  11. #31
    Member/Tangshooter g-khoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Under your Blanket
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Hi Ejun,

    Sorry to steal your thread

    I just came across something which i thought i'd highlight:

    For the Talent / Model who is registering with an agency

    When registering with an agency you may, have come across this statement:

    "If you are actively involved in shoots organised in internet discussion forums, please do not apply"

    While not all agencies express the above mentioned clause, it might be an implied rule for some (as in you can still write-in but they will not consider you)

    Why?

    The reason is simple.

    Im not sure if this is the right way of saying it, but from the agency's point of view, if they were to allow themselves to be represented by a model that is just another common face found in photoshoots in internet forums then they would be doing themselves a big disfavour.

    They are, if i may boldly say so, "devaluing" themselves and their other models.

    Although not all agencies are peculiar on the above mentioned aspect, i believe most of the more established agencies are.

    So there you go, just a word of advice for those who are aiming for pro - think twice about modelling for group shoots (no offense to organizers) and be selective with who you work with.

    For those who for are just taking modelling as a source of supplementary income, or just enjoy meeting people and being photographed then by all means, go ahead.

    Cheers

  12. #32
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by g-khoo View Post
    Hi Ejun,

    Sorry to steal your thread

    I just came across something which i thought i'd highlight:

    For the Talent / Model who is registering with an agency

    When registering with an agency you may, have come across this statement:

    "If you are actively involved in shoots organised in internet discussion forums, please do not apply"

    While not all agencies express the above mentioned clause, it might be an implied rule for some (as in you can still write-in but they will not consider you)

    Why?

    The reason is simple.

    Im not sure if this is the right way of saying it, but from the agency's point of view, if they were to allow themselves to be represented by a model that is just another common face found in photoshoots in internet forums then they would be doing themselves a big disfavour.

    They are, if i may boldly say so, "devaluing" themselves and their other models.

    Although not all agencies are peculiar on the above mentioned aspect, i believe most of the more established agencies are.

    So there you go, just a word of advice for those who are aiming for pro - think twice about modelling for group shoots (no offense to organizers) and be selective with who you work with.

    For those who for are just taking modelling as a source of supplementary income, or just enjoy meeting people and being photographed then by all means, go ahead.

    Cheers
    kinda makes u wonder why there are professional agency models being offered for shoots here doesn't it?
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  13. #33
    Senior Member ejunlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stevens Road
    Posts
    2,517

    Smile Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by g-khoo View Post
    Hi Ejun,

    Sorry to steal your thread

    I just came across something which i thought i'd highlight:

    For the Talent / Model who is registering with an agency

    When registering with an agency you may, have come across this statement:

    "If you are actively involved in shoots organised in internet discussion forums, please do not apply"

    While not all agencies express the above mentioned clause, it might be an implied rule for some (as in you can still write-in but they will not consider you)

    Why?

    The reason is simple.

    Im not sure if this is the right way of saying it, but from the agency's point of view, if they were to allow themselves to be represented by a model that is just another common face found in photoshoots in internet forums then they would be doing themselves a big disfavour.

    They are, if i may boldly say so, "devaluing" themselves and their other models.

    Although not all agencies are peculiar on the above mentioned aspect, i believe most of the more established agencies are.

    So there you go, just a word of advice for those who are aiming for pro - think twice about modelling for group shoots (no offense to organizers) and be selective with who you work with.

    For those who for are just taking modelling as a source of supplementary income, or just enjoy meeting people and being photographed then by all means, go ahead.

    Cheers
    No Worries about coming in bro... more than welcome!

    I have my thoughts and concerns regarding group organisations for models... and while the intention to generate revenue from photographers shooting a beautiful model is highly viable... I believe most models that are doing shoots for organisers know that there's a vast degree of difference in the images produced.. and naturally, they should always understand that some images might not turn out as well as they'd expect them to be.

    On the considerations that it might affect their chance to be engaged.. I think it does cause some concern to agencies seeking a non "public" face... but there's probably 2 extremes to this topic.... Models that have what it takes... regardless whether they have done hundreds of casual group photoshoots... if they have what it takes to be a model, i hardly think an agency will refuse... on the OTHER end, most people that actually shoots for the low commisions from shoot organisers will probably know they won't ever make it to a top-end agency... If they are already in an agency, or if they have what it took... there's hardly any reason to be shooting at that kinda pay..

    So i think your concerns are definately valid, good information for the minority of ladies out there that want to consider establishing themselves with an agency.

    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

  14. #34

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by g-khoo View Post
    Hi Ejun,

    Sorry to steal your thread

    I just came across something which i thought i'd highlight:

    For the Talent / Model who is registering with an agency

    When registering with an agency you may, have come across this statement:

    "If you are actively involved in shoots organised in internet discussion forums, please do not apply"

    While not all agencies express the above mentioned clause, it might be an implied rule for some (as in you can still write-in but they will not consider you)

    Why?

    The reason is simple.

    Im not sure if this is the right way of saying it, but from the agency's point of view, if they were to allow themselves to be represented by a model that is just another common face found in photoshoots in internet forums then they would be doing themselves a big disfavour.

    They are, if i may boldly say so, "devaluing" themselves and their other models.

    Although not all agencies are peculiar on the above mentioned aspect, i believe most of the more established agencies are.

    So there you go, just a word of advice for those who are aiming for pro - think twice about modelling for group shoots (no offense to organizers) and be selective with who you work with.

    For those who for are just taking modelling as a source of supplementary income, or just enjoy meeting people and being photographed then by all means, go ahead.

    Cheers
    That is why models should only stick to a few photographers and move on to better photographers to increases their face value over time.

    For the case of most models, they place immediate gratification of monetary exchange for a short period of time thus reducing their value over time.
    Last edited by AverRal; 19th November 2008 at 08:32 PM.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Information and Practical Suggestions to working as Models & Photographers

    very informative thread.

  16. #36
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by AverRal View Post
    That is why models should only stick to a few photographers and move on to better photographers to increases their face value over time.

    For the case of most models, they place immediate gratification of monetary exchange for a short period of time thus reducing their value over time.
    well said.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: How much should Freelance Models charge... my practical suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by ejunlow View Post
    On the idea that lingerie / nude photography costs more.... here's the big myth revealed...Proffesional nudes models don't necessarily bill more because they do it for a living.. Nude models typically have attributes that make them more inclined for photographers shooting nudes ( and i'm not talking about BIG bosoms and liquid eyes...) Professional nude models are often flatter chested, extremely low body fat ratio, and well toned.... (think YOGA people)... and how much do we pay nude models when we're in school? well.. at about $100 for A PAIR!!!/session.. (okay that's back when we're in school, but hey... those are PROS)
    You forgot to add GOOD SKIN! Skin is always something lacking..... you can have not so well toned bodies - renaissance nudes are always a little fleshy... but good skin is always a good selling point.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Information and Practical Suggestions to working as Models & Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by ejunlow View Post
    15-20 - $1500/month ave.
    20-25 - $2000/month ave.
    25-35 - $3000/month ave.
    35-50 - $4500/month ave.
    These figures are a little high. IF its from agency, you need to factor in the fact that they take a portion of the fee. And if its 35-50 years old, well shouldn't it be lower in general? Demands for ageing models are not really great in Spore.

    Just to set some expectations right before some Talents and Models wannabes start wondering why they cannot get jobs...
    Last edited by Zplus; 20th November 2008 at 04:29 PM.

  19. #39
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Information and Practical Suggestions to working as Models & Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    These figures are a little high. IF its from agency, you need to factor in the fact that they take a portion of the fee. And if its 35-50, well shouldn't it be lower in general? Demands for ageing models are not really great in Spore.

    Just to set some expectations right before some Talents and Models wannabes start wondering why they cannot get jobs...
    the range is 10-35% not 50 la
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Information and Practical Suggestions to working as Models & Photographers

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    the range is 10-35% not 50 la
    35-50 years old lar.... ejun states that they demand higher then younger models.... see above.... edited to prevent confusion. If 50% goes to agent, then we all be agent already...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •