Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

  1. #1

    Default an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    hi all,

    would like to hear some advise from the more seasoned photographers or also anyone who had gone through design school on the issue of grabbing someone's idea and passing off as ur own.

    currently taking a photography course in sch and we were supposed to come up with a series of conceptual photos (typical photo assignment) in a photo essay format.

    so happen that there is this student from another class whose works are really good and the teacher decides to share with her students from every other class.

    and coincidentally, a classmate of mine did a similar theme with tat student with outstanding works and when the teacher was showing off his work, my friend was dumbfounded. the supposedly outstanding peice of work was actually a rip off of idea which my friend actually found in flickr.

    my friend came across this series of work while he was sourcing for ideas on flickr before his shoot.

    the art direction was the same, the treatment was the same, and even the framing of some photos was precisely same!

    in a dilemma now.. shud we sound off this to the teacher?

    hope to hear some advice/opinions from here.. thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    Yes. You should absolutely bring this to the teacher's attention. Even an anonymous e-mail tip-off will help. Cheats like that don't deserve to flourish.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    would like to add that the mise-en-scene was even same lor..

    yah.. most probably will give it to him la.. sigh.. why got such people sia..

  4. #4

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    anyone anymore opinions?

  5. #5

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    yes, baotoh him.

    if teacher still dont do anything go over his head.

  6. #6

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    Think about the other people... All put in a lot of effort, and he just rips off someone else's idea and then gets highest marks...
    Alpha

  7. #7

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    worse is if the student becomes teacher's pet after.

    EXPOSE!

    unis are crazy strict on plagarism, plagarise and you get expelled. soething needs to be done, especially since this cannot even pass as a coincidence if you say that his poses and framing is ripped.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    Don't know which school you are from, but I am studying in the School of Film and Media Studies, and here, on every module, without exception, the school is very strict on plagiarism. Passing off someone else's work as your own isn't honest, there is no effort, integrity, or real skill put into it. Expose the plagiarising culprit for who he is.

  9. #9

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by faa View Post

    and coincidentally, a classmate of mine did a similar theme with tat student with outstanding works and when the teacher was showing off his work, my friend was dumbfounded. the supposedly outstanding peice of work was actually a rip off of idea which my friend actually found in flickr.

    my friend came across this series of work while he was sourcing for ideas on flickr before his shoot.

    the art direction was the same, the treatment was the same, and even the framing of some photos was precisely same!

    in a dilemma now.. shud we sound off this to the teacher?

    hope to hear some advice/opinions from here.. thanks!
    i would like to hear a more detailed description;

    because you make it sound as if every photo is an exact carbon copy; but how far does the resemblance go?

  10. #10

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i would like to hear a more detailed description;

    because you make it sound as if every photo is an exact carbon copy; but how far does the resemblance go?
    its a series of photos that revolve ard a common theme.. and for 2 of the shots, it is the exact replica of the framing, the pose and the photoshop done to it.. yah..

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by faa View Post
    its a series of photos that revolve ard a common theme.. and for 2 of the shots, it is the exact replica of the framing, the pose and the photoshop done to it.. yah..
    institutions of higher learning do not tolerate plagarism.

    but hor...

    it really depends on the picture (becoz we nv see) and exactly how similar the pics and the "original" works are. does the photos comes with captions? maybe ur friend was trying to explain it in a different feel?

    i think the most u can do is just email ur lecturer/tutor abt this. send him the link and tell what u think. ask him/her for an explaination of what he/she thinks is plagarism.

    rem, do this tactfully and think b4 u send the email. it concerns ur classmates future.
    Last edited by Fotophilic; 12th November 2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: grammar error
    cameras are not made of tofu

  12. #12

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    institutions of higher learning do not tolerate plagarism.

    but hor...

    it really depends on the picture (becoz we nv see) and exactly how similar the pics and the "original" works are. does the photos comes with captions? maybe ur friend was trying to explain it in a different feel?

    i think the most u can do is just email ur lecturer/tutor abt this. send him the link and tell what u think. ask him/her for an explaination of what he/she thinks is plagarism.

    rem, do this tactfully and think b4 u send the email. it concerns ur classmates future.
    thanks for the advice..

  13. #13

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by faa View Post
    its a series of photos that revolve ard a common theme.. and for 2 of the shots, it is the exact replica of the framing, the pose and the photoshop done to it.. yah..
    how many photos is the entire series?

  14. #14

    Default Re: an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    how many photos is the entire series?
    ard 6 to 7 photos..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •