Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice needed on camera or lens

Default Re: Advice needed on camera or lens

After reading all 40 posts, I just want to tell you to sell the 400D and just work on the FZ18 since you're so dependent on it. And seriously speaking, I'm almost sure you are not very clear with the controlling of the SLR you possess. People tend to blame it on their gear, but I'm doubtful of that.

Start from the basics. Learn the techniques. Read the manual. Do more Googling.
    Last edited by PyeeL; 9th November 2008 at 11:48 PM.

Okay. Here are 2 reasons why you might be unhappy.

#1 - You're pixel peeping. Zooming in at 100% to try to see if you can read a small sign that's 500m away. No, it's not going to happen.

#2 - You're doing it wrong (so icanhascheezburger type of sentence). You're shooting with too wide an aperture, focusing on the wrong points, shaking the camera too much, shooting with too insensitive an ISO value, and you're mixing up DOF with sharpness.

Try this. Next time you go out, shoot at Av mode, ISO400, f/8. With proper technique, that'll work.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by PyeeL View Post
    After reading all 40 posts, I just want to tell you to sell the 400D and just work on the FZ18 since you're so dependent on it. And seriously speaking, I'm almost sure you are not very clear with the controlling of the SLR you possess. People tend to blame it on their gear, but I'm doubtful of that.

Start from the basics. Learn the techniques. Read the manual. Do more Googling.
    i might not be very clear with the slr but i think i'll take time over the hols to try and familiarise myself with it. I'll try learning techniques,i think it should help

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Okay. Here are 2 reasons why you might be unhappy.

#1 - You're pixel peeping. Zooming in at 100% to try to see if you can read a small sign that's 500m away. No, it's not going to happen.

#2 - You're doing it wrong (so icanhascheezburger type of sentence). You're shooting with too wide an aperture, focusing on the wrong points, shaking the camera too much, shooting with too insensitive an ISO value, and you're mixing up DOF with sharpness.

Try this. Next time you go out, shoot at Av mode, ISO400, f/8. With proper technique, that'll work.
    hmmm,i think i might be using it like a point and shoot a little too often,i shall try out with the settings u have given,thanks!

Did you find that the images from 400D are kind of dull in color and lack of sharpness in comparison to what are from FZ18?

If yes, I can tell you that it's not the camera fault and changing to any other DSLR will not work. Problem is at your control of camera, as well as post-processing.

If no, I do not know

Quote Originally Posted by phan_vinh_nguyen View Post
    Did you find that the images from 400D are kind of dull in color and lack of sharpness in comparison to what are from FZ18?

If yes, I can tell you that it's not the camera fault and changing to any other DSLR will not work. Problem is at your control of camera, as well as post-processing.

If no, I do not know
    oh...okay,i think that might be the problem,it's kinda lacking in sharpness....
    i shall try to have better control of the camera

Oh, to be exactly, that is not "your fault" also. I myself has encountered this before.

The story is, most of PnS camera tend to do some post processing on your images. What it usually do is increase the contrast, increase saturation and apply sharpen. This make the images look like sharper and more vibrant. Actually, those processes more or less remove information from your images. DSLRs usually tend to reserve the information and try to reproduce the color as accurate as possible, as well as capture the dynamic range as much as possible. That is the reason why your images look dull (lack of contrast) and blur (not much sharpen).

So, to get results as you wish, you can either set the post processing option on your camera to increase the sharpness, contrast and saturation, or do it later in Photoshop. Many photographer tend to decrease the contrast and sharpness to get more information from the image, then do post processing later, rather than try to get an amusing result right out of camera.

Hope these information can be useful for you.

Quote Originally Posted by phan_vinh_nguyen View Post
    Oh, to be exactly, that is not "your fault" also. I myself has encountered this before.

The story is, most of PnS camera tend to do some post processing on your images. What it usually do is increase the contrast, increase saturation and apply sharpen. This make the images look like sharper and more vibrant. Actually, those processes more or less remove information from your images. DSLRs usually tend to reserve the information and try to reproduce the color as accurate as possible, as well as capture the dynamic range as much as possible. That is the reason why your images look dull (lack of contrast) and blur (not much sharpen).

So, to get results as you wish, you can either set the post processing option on your camera to increase the sharpness, contrast and saturation, or do it later in Photoshop. Many photographer tend to decrease the contrast and sharpness to get more information from the image, then do post processing later, rather than try to get an amusing result right out of camera.

Hope these information can be useful for you.
    hmmm,sounds complicated for a beginner,but i think i get it
    i shall try and follow the method u have provided,thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123