Thread: feedback on tuition agency needed

Default feedback on tuition agency needed

'ello

to cut straight to the point, my friend wants to work for a certain tuition agency as a "tuition associate". But she is required to pay $120 as registration fee/membership fee for the first month, and $40 a month afterwards. do you guys think it makes any sense to do so instead of going freelance? granted, registering enables you to get clients who are "matched" to you by the agency, with about 40% taken as a cut, but is it worth the cost of registering?

anyone here who's got experience in the tuition industry? could you share a bit about the industry?
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

Default Re: feedback on tuition agency needed

for freelance tutor
    the usual 50% from the first month is the 'middleman' fee to match u and your students.
    the subsequent month u will keep the full payment

the first option does not make sense to me,

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    for freelance tutor
    the usual 50% from the first month is the 'middleman' fee to match u and your students.
    the subsequent month u will keep the full payment.
    I agree. That is the usual practice unless the assignment is near major examinations, then, it is either 60/40 or 70/30.

Besides being a full-time photographer, I help out at my brother's tuition agency also. I have been doing this for almost 6 years already, so I am very familiar with the tuition industry in Singapore.
    Last edited by photobum; 9th November 2008 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    I agree. That is the usual practice unless the assignment is near major examinations, then, it is either 60/40 or 70/30.

Besides being a full-time photographer, I help out at my brother's tuition agency also. I have been doing this for almost 6 years already, so I am very familiar with the tuition industry in Singapore.
    Wow. You like multi occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    for freelance tutor
    the subsequent month u will keep the full payment

the first option does not make sense to me,

so the usual practice is for part of the first month/few month's tuition fees to be cut as a middleman's fee, then after that its 100% yours? that is, for agency.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Wow. You like multi occupation.
    I semi also bao kak leow (jack of all trades, master of 'some').

I photographer, cum digital imaging and technical director, cum workshop instructor, cum studio technician, cum company driver, cum delivery man, cum car mechanic, cum tuition agent, cum audiophile, cum kitchen samurai..... and the list goes on and on. My title on my name card super, super long.
    Last edited by photobum; 9th November 2008 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    so the usual practice is for part of the first month/few month's tuition fees to be cut as a middleman's fee, then after that its 100% yours? that is, for agency.
    Simply put it:

• First month, you 50% and agent 50% (or, prearranged with the agent).
    • Subsequent month, 100% yours.
    Last edited by photobum; 9th November 2008 at 06:43 PM.

I semi also bao kak leow (jack of all trades, master of 'some').

I photographer cum digital imaging and technical director cum workshop instructor cum studio technician cum company driver cum delivery man cum car mechanic cum tuition agent cum audiophile cum kitchen samurai. My title on my name card super, super long.
    You must be damn RICH

Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    You must be damn RICH
    Okay lah.... I am rich enough to live in a 4-room HDB flat in Ang Mo Kio.
    Last edited by photobum; 9th November 2008 at 06:52 PM.