Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Is there film like Fuji Press 800 yet more contrasty?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    596

    Default Is there film like Fuji Press 800 yet more contrasty?

    Hi!
    Read alot of good things about this high speed film for indoor ambient light shooting. Is there an equivalent in terms of grain that is more contrasty than the above? Thanks!

    Regards,
    Alvin

  2. #2

    Default

    Curious to know why you would want more contrast? Low light and high contrast film doesn't sound like a good idea.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Perhaps "more contrast" is inaccurate, i should have said "want the colours to stand out more"...

  4. #4

    Default

    Have you tried it yet? I find its colours quite ok, try exposing it at ISO 640 if you want a bit more saturation in the prints.

    Generally, high speed films like Extra 400, 800 and Press 800 are already slightly more saturated than real life.

    If you shoot in solely in ambient light with these film you should be getting good colours IMO.

    Any examples?

    Anyway, the other equivalent would be Kodak Portra 800 if you want to try.
    Last edited by Zerstorer; 29th August 2003 at 09:29 AM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Try fuji xtra 800, more contrast than press 800.
    Or try xtra 400 push 1 stop. even more contrast and grainy (even at 4R)

    Colour definitely stand out (but skin tones....eh... )

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Have you tried it yet? I find its colours quite ok, try exposing it at ISO 640 if you want a bit more saturation in the prints.

    Generally, high speed films like Extra 400, 800 and Press 800 are already slightly more saturated than real life.
    Just wondering is it possible to get the colors for Press 800 less saturated? The last time i used it, the colors were so saturated to the point that it looked extremely unnatural. Or is it a lab processing thing (was done at Colorlab)? Thanks.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    Try fuji xtra 800, more contrast than press 800.
    Or try xtra 400 push 1 stop. even more contrast and grainy (even at 4R)

    Colour definitely stand out (but skin tones....eh... )
    Lol...was about to suggest that also..but the skin tones and added grain not worth it I think. Heh.

    Derrick: I've not tried Press 800 at Colourlab, but my experience with them for Xtra800(supposedly same formulation) is similar to yours, a bit yellowish skin too if I might add.

    Seems to me that Press 800 colours are more natural if you give it a bit more exposure, or maybe it depends on the light. Some shots of Press800 pushed 1 stop in bright sun came out rather well.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alvin
    Perhaps "more contrast" is inaccurate, i should have said "want the colours to stand out more"...
    wah, P800 the colours so punchy already, you want more??

    actually i hear that Konica film is very saturated. haven't tried it myself but that's what i'm told. cheap too, if you can find it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Hi

    if u can find it in Singapore (last time ColorLab had some samples), Fuji NPZ 800 is less saturated than Press 800.

    Btw Xtra 800 and Press 800 are essentially the same emulsion..... just that one is marketed as a pro film..... the differences are only in the way the pro film are handled and stored.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Hi guys thanks! I will try the recommendations. Not enough budget for a minolta flash so going by film speed

    Regards,
    Alvin

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alvin
    Hi guys thanks! I will try the recommendations. Not enough budget for a minolta flash so going by film speed

    Regards,
    Alvin
    The cost of high speed film might soon add up to a flash.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawn
    Hi

    if u can find it in Singapore (last time ColorLab had some samples), Fuji NPZ 800 is less saturated than Press 800.

    Btw Xtra 800 and Press 800 are essentially the same emulsion..... just that one is marketed as a pro film..... the differences are only in the way the pro film are handled and stored.
    NPZ has lower contrast compared to Press 800, it also has an improvement over grain size, the grains are less visible on it. Sadly, it's not marketed in Singapore because the ISO 800 range is quite saturated oredi.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •