Thread: Photo moments Vs Video moments.

Default Photo moments Vs Video moments.

I know this thread may start some ugly debate over Photos being better then video or Video being better then photos. But i think its something worth thinking about espcially when DSLR's are being intergrated with video functions these days.

So my question is this.

"What is the photo moments and what is a video moment, and how does it differ from each other?" "Is there a significant better between a photograph and a video footage?"

Lets discuss.

Lets try to keep from OT here.

cheers

Default Re: Photo moments Vs Video moments.

I would say that it is easier to fake a moment in photography (as in take it out of context). Eg. Do you want to make that person look good or bad? But this impression could be due to my very limited knowledge of videos. What do the rest of you think?

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredVision View Post
    I would say that it is easier to fake a moment in photography (as in take it out of context). Eg. Do you want to make that person look good or bad? But this impression could be due to my very limited knowledge of videos. What do the rest of you think?
    When you say make a person look good or bad? uh in what way is that capturing a moment? a moment is described as:

1. an indefinitely short period of time; instant: I'll be with you in a moment.
    2. the present time or any other particular time (usually prec. by the): He is busy at the moment.
    3. a definite period or stage, as in a course of events; juncture: at this moment in history.
    4. importance or consequence: a decision of great moment.
    5. a particular time or period of success, excellence, fame, etc.: His big moment came in the final game.

or in philosopy, a. an aspect of a thing.
    b. Obsolete. an essential or constituent factor.

So when you say it is easier to post process to make a person look good or bad, how and in what way is that a moment and how and in what way will that affect the "essensce" of the moment?

One person who clearly illustrates the difference a video image can make is Edison Chen.

The publicity has unjustifiably distracted us from his true talent and his quest to take his video imagery into the realm of art form.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post

"What is the photo moments and what is a video moment, and how does it differ from each other?" "Is there a significant better between a photograph and a video footage?"
    the two mediums are entirely different ballgames;

for a still frame one is freezing one moment; for a moving frame, unless you think that people fancy staring at a photo disguised as a video for quite long, and you freeze every subject, there is movement, and watching tv will tell you that keeping the same perspective for a long time is not going to net you any fans in the long run.

in any case, i doubt you will get much response about videography here since this is a photography forums. it is hard to speak at length about something you know little of.

also; frankly speaking, there is no good and bad to be compared between the mediums; there are good photographs, there are bad photographs, there are good videos, there are bad videos; but pitting a good photograph against a good video, or a bad photograph against a bad video, that's ridiculous.

if you want to discuss what a photograph can deliver that a video cannot, and vice versa, i'm sure a lot of people will be able to provide reasons that you could already think about yourself.
    Last edited by night86mare; 10th November 2008 at 07:46 AM.

Well, maybe for example if everyone at a dinner is unhappy to be there, but still, there's a few people smiling / laughing at odd moments. If a photographer snaps those moments only, it's going to look like a real happy dinner. A videographer probably couldn't do the same thing?

Photos can help describe a moment that a thousand words can't, like the many famous photos we had seen from photojournalist.

In video, a moment can be that defining part when the story turns around, like "Luke, I am your father"
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Comparing apple to orange, totally different.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!