Thread: Back in ACJS

Default Back in ACJS

First time posting in critique corner.

I have composed the picture this way because I want to show the run down state of the school, its meant to show my primary school days (more than 10 years ago)

I tried to wash out the colors to make it look a bit more run down and added a bit of vignetting.

C&C welcome
    Last edited by guangzhao; 8th November 2008 at 10:43 AM.

Default Re: Back in ACJS

the angle is very awkward.

but JS rocks!

i was in ACS(J) yesterday

may i ask why is a bell in the picture? is there any significant meaning behind it?
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

Not really, it was just there and on afterthought I think its kind of a distraction... Do you think so?

Quote Originally Posted by guangzhao View Post
    Not really, it was just there and on afterthought I think its kind of a distraction... Do you think so?
    the bell? distracting? definetly. well unless you had a reason for the bell to be in the pic then that shouldn't be any problem.

BTW, when were you in Junior? definetly much earlier than me. haha
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

Erm, can we try to stay on track?

There's nothing in here that says "ACJS". It definitely gives me the impression of an old and unkempt classroom, but definitely holds little cohesion with your title.

Execution is poor. Bland colours, low contrast, motion blur, and a strange angle and composition. Perhaps you want to explain why the choice of inclusion of the elements: the chinese comic strip, the bell, the bottle and the fan switchboard in the background.

Interesting.

Firstly, I did not expect the chinese newspaper to be on the table. Not congruent with ACS, J or otherwise.

What's that fish doing on the wall?

The desk brings back memories though.
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Erm, can we try to stay on track?

There's nothing in here that says "ACJS". It definitely gives me the impression of an old and unkempt classroom, but definitely holds little cohesion with your title.

Execution is poor. Bland colours, low contrast, motion blur, and a strange angle and composition. Perhaps you want to explain why the choice of inclusion of the elements: the chinese comic strip, the bell, the bottle and the fan switchboard in the background.
    In my composition I wrote that I purposely toned down the colors because I wanted to create a more rustic, old feeling. The blur is due to the smaller aperture size used. The idea was to have a sharp table and a more blurred background.

Maybe the title was chosen badly but I wanted to bring out the feel of going back to your alma mater wherever it may be. The fan switchboard is reminiscent of older technology, whilst the comic strip, and the bell are also things that were used before but less used today.

I do agree that the angle is a bit strange but I intended a bit of a tilt, on afterthought it may have been too much.

Thanks for taking time to comment on the photo

...The blur is due to the smaller aperture size used. The idea was to have a sharp table and a more blurred background.
    The blur that I am referring to (and I'm sure you can see the difference too) is not a case of shallow depth of field. I think you and I both can very well tell when there is shallow DOF and when there is motion blur.

Look closely at the bell and you will see that it is not perfectly in focus. There is evidence of blurring from camera shake, and that is reflected on the edges of the green tea bottle too.

Isn't it supposed to be a bigger aperture size if you want a nice Depth of Field?
    Calebk is right, there isn't a sharp subject in the image.
    Last edited by PyeeL; 9th November 2008 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PyeeL View Post
    Isn't it supposed to be a bigger aperture size if you want a nice Depth of Field?
    Calebk is right, there isn't a sharp subject in the image.
    Yep I meant bigger aperture size...

Do you think its post processing? The original pic looks sharp, will post the original in the abstracts section
    Last edited by guangzhao; 10th November 2008 at 05:01 PM.

Yep I meant bigger aperture size...

Do you think its post processing? The original pic looks sharp, will post the original in the abstracts section
    I'm highly doubtful that any post-process can render motion blur of the highest authenticity. I think it is okay to post the original here for comparison's sake. Do update us.

let's not argue about sharpness, let's just look at the composition FIRST and FOREMOST.

if it fails, you don't even need to talk about sharpness; and as explained above, the picture does not work; it looks tilted for the sake of being tilted, and the elements look thrown together haphazardly; in short a snapshot.

does it make a difference to the viewer if a snapshot is sharp or not? from my point of view, it does not.

"sharpness is a bourgeois concept." - henri cartier-bresson; whose photos were sharp most of the time, but were great even when not sharp.
    Last edited by night86mare; 11th November 2008 at 12:31 AM.