Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Lens / Body servicing?

  1. #1

    Default Lens / Body servicing?

    Hi guys I'm a new to photography
    i'm wondering how often do you guys service your lens/body? And what's the normal charges?

    Thx =)

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Erickson View Post
    Hi guys I'm a new to photography
    i'm wondering how often do you guys service your lens/body? And what's the normal charges?

    Thx =)
    If you're new to photography, why do you need to service your lens/body?
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    within warranty period.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Erickson View Post
    Hi guys I'm a new to photography
    i'm wondering how often do you guys service your lens/body? And what's the normal charges?

    Thx =)
    If within the first year and if covered by warranty, it's free. Else, also depends on what are u sending it in for.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    If within the first year and if covered by warranty, it's free. Else, also depends on what are u sending it in for.
    If it's general servicing then it's free within warranty period right?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    If it's general servicing then it's free within warranty period right?
    I doubt so cos warranty only covers manufacturing defects. So far i've not sent in my 5D for any servicing yet since i bought it on july 4th this year.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I doubt so cos warranty only covers manufacturing defects. So far i've not sent in my 5D for any servicing yet since i bought it on july 4th this year.
    SO that means the warranty is kind of useless luh?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    SO that means the warranty is kind of useless luh?
    Who says is useless? What if during that first year, your shutter fails, buttons fall out, reflex mirror falls out or any hardware problems, your warranty will come into play. If warranty is useless, then why would they even bother to give warranty??
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Who says is useless? What if during that first year, your shutter fails, buttons fall out, reflex mirror falls out or any hardware problems, your warranty will come into play. If warranty is useless, then why would they even bother to give warranty??
    Ya i know but other than all these, the warranty is kind of useless right? Waranty won't include servicing also
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    Ya i know but other than all these, the warranty is kind of useless right? Waranty won't include servicing also
    If a policy covers just one single aspect, then it cannot be called 'useless'.

    Warranty includes labor cost. I sent in my 400D cos of an insensitive shutter button, my 85mm cos it looked like it was not focusing well at infinity, my 580EXII due to somewhat loose contacts, and my BG-E3 grip because there was an air leak and air was getting under the rubber. It's all free except for the grip.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    Ya i know but other than all these, the warranty is kind of useless right? Waranty won't include servicing also
    Then u expect warranty to cover everything? No warranty ever covers this.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    SO that means the warranty is kind of useless luh?
    haha, i get what you mean
    yea, imho, it's not useless but it is 'useless'

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Then u expect warranty to cover everything? No warranty ever covers this.
    I thought it will at least cover servicing
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    I thought it will at least cover servicing
    No warranty of any electronic product ever covers cleaning and or free replacement of parts that haven't spoilt. Does your dad's car get a new engine every 3 months? How about the screen of your ipod/iphone/psp/gameboy/etc etc? Same thing with cameras, if it didn't spoil within the warranty period, it won't be free.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Does your dad's car get a new engine every 3 months?
    Haha, that would be funny. Would probably spend more time in the workshop than driving it.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  16. #16

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    No warranty of any electronic product ever covers cleaning and or free replacement of parts that haven't spoilt. Does your dad's car get a new engine every 3 months? How about the screen of your ipod/iphone/psp/gameboy/etc etc? Same thing with cameras, if it didn't spoil within the warranty period, it won't be free.
    HAHA! weird way of explaining with the engine but yea, now i know. thanks anyway
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D, Canon F1.8, Canon 55-250, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 F2.8, 580EX

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abuddlah View Post
    I thought it will at least cover servicing
    Servicing only if its parts are faulty.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Just wondering normally how long it can tahan...
    And wondering what kinda problem that I might face...

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,812

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    11 months down the road and my 400D just faced a minor problem with wear and tear of the shutter button.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Lens / Body servicing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Erickson View Post
    Just wondering normally how long it can tahan...
    And wondering what kinda problem that I might face...
    What you don't know won't kill you, in this case. Just use your camera and don't worry so much; if not, you won't actually get down to taking good images.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •