Thread: Truisms In Photography

Default Truisms In Photography

It's Friday!

Please contribute your favourite truism in photography - whether it is about equipment, technique or business.

Let me start the ball rolling...

1. An SLR camera is like a magic wand for security guards. The moment you whip one out, a guard will instantly appear.

2. Beautiful sunsets tend to occur when you brought your long zoom.

3. Rare birds appear when you brought your wide zoom.

4. Things always happen while you are changing lenses.

5. An SLR at home is not quite as good as a cameraphone in your hand.

6. A camera that can fit into your pocket, will fall out of your pocket.

7. Secondary cameras get used 99.97% of the time.

8. The first scratch mark on your camera really hurts.

9. The portrait shot with the brightest smile also has the poorest focus.

10. Somebody is always blocking.

Heh.
    Last edited by Sohrion; 7th November 2008 at 04:59 PM.

Default Re: Truisms In Photography

agreed!

Very true!
    "The more knowledge you attain, the more humble you should be."

Lol this sounds very Murphy's Law -ish. Suay will still be suay.
    Canon 40D, 10-22, 35, 70-200
    http://theserialhobbyist.multiply.com

which would you be more willing to spend money on?

a)wife
    b)camera
    I photograph the dead.

-The days with the nicest sunsets occur when you're stuck in office or on the bus without a camera!

- The flash runs out of juice just as you need to catch that all important group photo!

The only day you really get a smudge on your lens is the day you didn't bring the lenspen.

-Spectacular light appear and you dun have a camera!!

-A rare bird resting on top of a fence and waiting to be photograph, but to your horror you didn't bought your camera with you.

-You miss a great moment due to misfocus.
    At the soul of the image

To billycadiz and ordinarypeople:

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

To munkey:

Heh, quite so... but my truisms are not limited to Murphy's Law types.

More coming up...

11. Every scenery shot taken in Singapore will feature at least one construction crane.

12. Be wary of the man who hangs two SLR bodies around his neck.

13. The oldest uncles tend to bring the heaviest telephoto primes.

14. If someone is spotted using a SLR at a particular shooting angle, a whole bunch of people with compact cameras will also go there to take photos.

15. If you are carrying a SLR, more people will ask you to take photos for them.

16. If tourists hand you a camera to take a snapshot of them, they will usually say "just press here" while pointing to the shutter.

17. In a group photo, somebody's eyes will be closed.

18. Saying "cheese" isn't really the same as smiling.

19. In a stack of holiday photos, there is always one mysterious photo of an unidentified ceiling.

20. There is always something sticking out of the corner.

21. There is always something jutting out of the edge.

22. There will always be somebody befuddled by the fact that some DSLRs have no live view.

23. There will always be somebody holding a DSLR like a ultra-compact (ie. four finger technique).

22. There will always be somebody shooting landscapes with the burst mode.

23. There will always be somebody shooting night scenery with the flash on.

24. There will always be somebody shooting fireworks with the flash on.

25. There will always be somebody insisting on taking low-light social snaps with the flash off.

25A. Shooting with the flash off doesn't automatically turn a photo into an art shot.

26. Tilting the camera 45 degrees doesn't automatically turn a photo into an art shot.

27. Converting a photo into black & white doesn't automatically turn it into an art shot.

28. Turning a black & white, tilted, no-flash photo into a desktop wallpaper doesn't automatically turn it into an art shot.

29. You can't trust waiters to take a good photo.

30. In any photography forum, there will always be people talking about their ability to take long exposure shots handheld.

Please don't hesitate to add your own!

To KangS, ahbian and XiaoWei:

Yes, I know what you mean

Which is why I always carry a secondary camera wherever I go...

Quote Originally Posted by Sohrion View Post
    30. In any photography forum, there will always be people talking about their ability to take long exposure shots handheld.

yeah, like the 30 second long exposure hand held, wa look at my vr lens power..

then you found out he was lying on the floor with the camera on the ground.

also, in any photography forum, there will be people talking about bokeh and sharpness, even when some of the most impactful photos in history neither have good bokeh, or good sharpness.

Blog Entries

1. An SLR camera is like a magic wand for security guards. The moment you whip one out, a guard will instantly appear.

2. Beautiful sunsets tend to occur when you brought your long zoom.

3. Rare birds appear when you brought your wide zoom.

4. Things always happen while you are changing lenses.

5. An SLR at home is not quite as good as a cameraphone in your hand.

6. A camera that can fit into your pocket, will fall out of your pocket.

7. Secondary cameras get used 99.97% of the time.

8. The first scratch mark on your camera really hurts.

9. The portrait shot with the brightest smile also has the poorest focus.

10. Somebody is always blocking.

11. Every scenery shot taken in Singapore will feature at least one construction crane.

12. Be wary of the man who hangs two SLR bodies around his neck.

13. The oldest uncles tend to bring the heaviest telephoto primes.

14. If someone is spotted using a SLR at a particular shooting angle, a whole bunch of people with compact cameras will also go there to take photos.

15. If you are carrying a SLR, more people will ask you to take photos for them.

16. If tourists hand you a camera to take a snapshot of them, they will usually say "just press here" while pointing to the shutter.

17. In a group photo, somebody's eyes will be closed.

18. Saying "cheese" isn't really the same as smiling.

19. In a stack of holiday photos, there is always one mysterious photo of an unidentified ceiling.

20. There is always something sticking out of the corner.

21. There is always something jutting out of the edge.

22. There will always be somebody befuddled by the fact that some DSLRs have no live view.

23. There will always be somebody holding a DSLR like a ultra-compact (ie. four finger technique).

22. There will always be somebody shooting landscapes with the burst mode.

23. There will always be somebody shooting night scenery with the flash on.

24. There will always be somebody shooting fireworks with the flash on.

25. There will always be somebody insisting on taking low-light social snaps with the flash off.

25A. Shooting with the flash off doesn't automatically turn a photo into an art shot.

26. Tilting the camera 45 degrees doesn't automatically turn a photo into an art shot.

27. Converting a photo into black & white doesn't automatically turn it into an art shot.

28. Turning a black & white, tilted, no-flash photo into a desktop wallpaper doesn't automatically turn it into an art shot.

29. You can't trust waiters to take a good photo.

31. An out of focus image converted into B&W is an artistic image

32. I have an ability to bring out the worst sides of a stunningly photogenic model

33. A camera in hand is worth 2 at home

34. One gets a better image holding a camera perfectly still for 6 sec waiting for the timer to trip the shutter
    Last edited by ed9119; 8th November 2008 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

yeah, like the 30 second long exposure hand held, wa look at my vr lens power..

then you found out he was lying on the floor with the camera on the ground.

also, in any photography forum, there will be people talking about bokeh and sharpness, even when some of the most impactful photos in history neither have good bokeh, or good sharpness.
    So true, night86mare

Which brings to mind...

35. Historically important photos need not be technically perfect.

36. Pros create stunning photos by being at the right place at the right time.

37. Amateurs create stunning photos by being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

38. Even an average photographer can produce an excellent shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    32. I have an ability to bring out the worst sides of a stunningly photogenic model
    Me too!

Maybe hot babe models don't like me

I should add these...

39. Direct flash makes powder foundation glow in an eerie way.

40. You can't really pick up models at a car show/tech fair.

41. An SLR is a magic wand that can call rain. Let it face the sky, rain will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post

a)wife
    b)camera
    That's not fair and cruel However, me choose camera.....

This for married man;

a)FAMILY
    b)camera
    F3,F4,D70s,D3,1424,1735,2035,2470,2870,3570,80200, 80400,28PC, 351.4,Z352,501.2,Z851.4,MIR500

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHive View Post
    That's not fair and cruel However, me choose camera.....

This for married man;

a)FAMILY
    b)camera
    Of course wife / family la !

I am a good husband ma

Ryan

This is probably the best post on Cs i have seen in years......

Here's mine

A photographer who sees another photographer, will make first impressions based on equipments (camera), not looks.

A photograper will compare the potential money he saves/gets with the equipments he can buy. I.e If i stopped taking cab daily for one year, i can get a tamron 17-50mm!

Truisms in photography? The posts are getting both profound and hilarious at the same time...

39. When all's said and done, the reason why you'd use a dSLR is the intangible and indescribeable satisfaction you get from the sound of the mirror slap.

40. "When you know nothing, anything will work. As you start to gain knowledge you become embarrassed by your equipment and buy up. When you start to know a lot more, you buy up again because you can now purchase more intelligently. And when you know everything there is to know about cameras, you realize that a lot of it is just smoke and mirrors, so you are then able to use everything and anything to produce good images".
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Quote Originally Posted by shockingpants View Post

A photographer who sees another photographer, will make first impressions based on equipments (camera), not looks.
    My version of the above :

After a long day out shooting, you'll distinctly remember the friendly photographer you bumped into at the session. BUT... you only remember what equipment he was carrying and not how he looks like! (unless its a pretty lady photographer lah... )

Quote Originally Posted by shockingpants View Post
    This is probably the best post on Cs i have seen in years......

Here's mine

A photograper will compare the potential money he saves/gets with the equipments he can buy. I.e If i stopped taking cab daily for one year, i can get a tamron 17-50mm!
    Thanks, shockingpants!

Yup, first impressions in photography are heavily dependent on equipment.

Which is why...

44. A photographer with a second-hand, beaten-up Olympus E-1 is automatically accorded more respect than a photographer with a shiny new E-520, even though it might have cost less.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    Truisms in photography? The posts are getting both profound and hilarious at the same time...
    Thanks Six-GHz!

I've re-numbered your contributions to fit with phan_vinh_nguyen's contribution:

42. When all's said and done, the reason why you'd use a dSLR is the intangible and indescribeable satisfaction you get from the sound of the mirror slap.

43. "When you know nothing, anything will work. As you start to gain knowledge you become embarrassed by your equipment and buy up. When you start to know a lot more, you buy up again because you can now purchase more intelligently. And when you know everything there is to know about cameras, you realize that a lot of it is just smoke and mirrors, so you are then able to use everything and anything to produce good images".

Very true, many a time I still play with my old film SLR to hear the "trik-trok" sound

Which reminds me...

45. Camera collectors are NOT photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by KangS View Post
    My version of the above :

After a long day out shooting, you'll distinctly remember the friendly photographer you bumped into at the session. BUT... you only remember what equipment he was carrying and not how he looks like! (unless its a pretty lady photographer lah... )
    Yo LC1! Let me introduce you to D70s dude!

Oh I suddenly thought of this...

46. The last bar on your battery indicator always disappears faster than the first bar.