Thread: Night potrait

Default Night potrait

Hi Guys,

I've been taking photos with my A700 DSLR Sony. However, when i take photos of my friends along Singapore River at night, i either get under exposed background or i get well exposed faces. I've tried boosting ISO but no help. Is there a setting? I've also tried REAR SYNC on my camera but also doesnt help

I have a flash gun 56AM attached as well.

Default Re: Night potrait

spot meter on the face or adjust ur flash manually. i believe you are at the matrix metering which takes into account of the overall exposure and since its so dark, it tells the flash to power up more which makes faces overexposed.

Quote Originally Posted by junkai21 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've been taking photos with my A700 DSLR Sony. However, when i take photos of my friends along Singapore River at night, i either get under exposed background or i get well exposed faces. I've tried boosting ISO but no help. Is there a setting? I've also tried REAR SYNC on my camera but also doesnt help

I have a flash gun 56AM attached as well.
    I tried to understand your statement: "I either get under exposed background or i get well exposed faces". Can I say that:

1. You get under exposed background in some of your photos (how about the faces?)
    2. You get well exposed faces in some of your photos (how about the background?)

or do you mean that you get either well exposed faces but underexposed background or well exposed background but overexposed faces?

It happens because the camera tried to balance overall exposure.

If you wants the faces and the background to be exposed correctly, use a tripod and set your camera to "slow sync" or "rear sync". However, the shutter speed will be slower, thus you have to tell your objects not to make any movement.

I hope it helps.
    Achetez ce que vous souhaitez, pas ce que vous voulez...

Usually for night portraits, we would go for a slow rear sync shutter. Something that works for me is that I meter the ambiance light, or aka the background light you want to capture, in this case the city lights. Then i'll manually adjust my flash to suit as a fill in only at the end of the exposure. So an example of a setting would be, I'll set the ISO to about 800-1600, use a slow shutter like 1/10? and set my flash to -1 EV.