Thread: USB Cable - charging current

vince123123
    Guests

Default USB Cable - charging current

Hi,

Is it true that different USB cables have different charging currents? FOr example, when I use cable A, my hp charges faster thanw hen I use cables B or C.

If there is indeed a difference, how does one tell them apart? I need to buy more high current usb charging cables but right now I onyl have one which can really deliver a high current.

Default Re: USB Cable - charging current

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Hi,

Is it true that different USB cables have different charging currents? FOr example, when I use cable A, my hp charges faster thanw hen I use cables B or C.

If there is indeed a difference, how does one tell them apart? I need to buy more high current usb charging cables but right now I onyl have one which can really deliver a high current.
    high current as in thicker cables, theory yes, in actual situation... no, depends on your source as well as the item you want to charge, if your source only give say 1ma max, then your thicker cables will only be good as better load, and your draw will maintain at 1ma max.

dun think any manufacturer will wanna risk giving out higher amp cos if the thinner cables are plugged into higher output, the cable will heat up and burn.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

vince123123
    Guests

Well in my case the source is a constant, its merely a USB port in the computer. I noticed difference in charging times when using different cables, for the same source and the same device.

probably nothing to do with the cable. either variable out put of usb port, depending on number of devices powered off it, and the variable charge storage of your battery
    chezburgr i can haz?

length of cable too?

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm that's strange, because I use the same port in the same computer (and didn't add or take away any other devices in other ports) and used the same mobile phone target. The only difference is the cable used, and this changes the charging time.

In fact, in my experience, for certain externa HDD cases (esp those power hungry ones which require a double USB cable or external adapter); one of my USB cables can power it but another USB cable can't even power the HDD enough for Windows to detect it.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    probably nothing to do with the cable. either variable out put of usb port, depending on number of devices powered off it, and the variable charge storage of your battery