Thread: Balance of work and play

Default Balance of work and play

Picture was taken afew months ago using my cousin`s 350D.
    Chanced upon this behind the door of my room and thought that it was a very good representation of work and play that i had been experiencing at that time.
    During that time, i was still serving my NS and so it represented 'work'.The liondance shirt represents the 'play' in my life as its one of the things i enjoying doing most.
    PP done to adjust the brightness and contrast.

i jus got my own camera afew weeks ago..still learning..will appreciate and comments or critics =)

Default Re: Balance of work and play

its a good and workable concept.
    But there’s nothing that interest me in this shot,
    seems like any ordinary snapshot.

The cropping is so tight that it’s so uninteresting.
    The alignment of the clothes makes it not have any sort of artistic vibe or appeal.

Concept wise, I would much prefer a different composition if you want to showcase
    this A vs B concept. Right now, there’s two army uniform sandwiching the liondance shirt, if i interpret that it would be work over play then.

I recommend you to try again shooting this out or if not just forget it and work on a new representation aight? keep shooting and learn

Thanx for ur comments bro...and yeah, it represents more work then play..

I like to take pictures of the way things already are..hmm, mayb i should try re-positioning things to make it more interesting..

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Shah View Post

Thanx for ur comments bro...and yeah, it represents more work then play..

I like to take pictures of the way things already are..hmm, mayb i should try re-positioning things to make it more interesting..

Thank You
    No problem.

Well, if you want to take things as it is, this is not a good area to work with.
    It will work wonders in nature photography perhaps but if something entails a concept behind it, recomposition is very essential. If you cannot adjust things to bring out your vision, then whats the point?

Looks very..."village-like-photo". I don't know what the Malaysian/Singaporean word for that.

Quote Originally Posted by informer View Post
    Looks very..."village-like-photo". I don't know what the Malaysian/Singaporean word for that.
    haha..village like?....kampung?....wad makes u say that bro?

Besides what Bro Velasco mentioned, i also feel you may like to improve on your tweaking of contrast.
    I feel you have pushed your contrast too high.
    Reduce your contrast and do a little bit of unmask sharp for the shot will be better.

I used to do so too. Haha. So keep shooting and keep PPing~

Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    Besides what Bro Velasco mentioned, i also feel you may like to improve on your tweaking of contrast.
    I feel you have pushed your contrast too high.
    Reduce your contrast and do a little bit of unmask sharp for the shot will be better.

I used to do so too. Haha. So keep shooting and keep PPing~
    thanx for the tip bro..but currently i do not haf any photoshop to try at the moment =(..i used GIMP which hangs every so often..
    i pushed the contrast higher to make the 'play' shirt stand out among the dull and boring 'work'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shah View Post
    thanx for the tip bro..but currently i do not haf any photoshop to try at the moment =(..i used GIMP which hangs every so often..
    i pushed the contrast higher to make the 'play' shirt stand out among the dull and boring 'work'.
    Oh... i am not sure about gimp. But if it does have selective colour control, you can try to reduce the green by desaturating a bit of the green and boost the saturation of the yellow by a bit.

Oh ya, talking about that, this means you would have to choose either more play than work using the colours or more work than play based on your composition and bro velasco's tips.

And also, the water mark or title on your shot seems to make viewers think differently of the title. I would suggest if you want to do so, try to make sure it is the same as your title.

Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    Oh... i am not sure about gimp. But if it does have selective colour control, you can try to reduce the green by desaturating a bit of the green and boost the saturation of the yellow by a bit.

Oh ya, talking about that, this means you would have to choose either more play than work using the colours or more work than play based on your composition and bro velasco's tips.

And also, the water mark or title on your shot seems to make viewers think differently of the title. I would suggest if you want to do so, try to make sure it is the same as your title.
    Actually there was more work then play but i highlighted the play cos work was boring and dull..

I haf yet to learn how to fully utilise photoshop..or GIMP for that matter..haha..right now i only know how to adjust brightness and contrast...the buggy nature of GIMP really frustrates me at times...haha..

As for the watermark the title for this picture is Shades of Green and the meaning is about the balance (or lack of it) of work and play in my life....haha..i guess i should have been clearer..

Reallie appreciate all the tips bros =)