Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which Gitzo Tripod to Buy?

Default Re: Which Gitzo Tripod to Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Ask yourself which is more important to you:
    - stability
    - portability

Then, you will have the answer...
    haha...yeah....1541, a little bit more wobbly due to the 4 section, but more compact.

1531, 3 section, slightly longer when retracted...

Price difference as well..

If its me i will go for the 1541 though...slightly taller....smaller to carry around...

yeah

Hi, just came back from HK. Only got a change to go to wing shin in mongkok. Was quoted HKD$3550 for the gitzo 1531 and $3850 for the gitzo 1541. With the current exchange rate, don't think it is worth to buy there. Though the price may be lower if you bargain, however, I did not make an effort as was rushing for time.

Guess, it is currently better to get locally.

Anyway, does all Gitzo tripods come with a carrying case?

Dun think so, just a cloth bag. Even strap have to pay!

Gitzo bags are real expensive. I usually go for the no brand one.

Does anyone know of any cheaper places to get Gitzo's (in the world???)

Or buy from B&H Photo in the US. I bought when the exchange rate was a bit better and shipping was cheaper (maybe that time no fuel surcharge). Be aware that you have to factor in shipping charges and GST.

TS, apologies for not getting back to you on the 1530's specs. I recently learned that it has been end-of-lifed and replaced by a new model so I could not find the specs.

Basically it comes down to whether you want a more compact tripod (4-section) or one that is faster to set up (3-section) and a little bit more stable. The difference is not that great, Gitzo's engineering is very good - that's what you're paying for. I bought the 3-section mainly because I don't like to fiddle with so many locks. That's a 25% saving on the amount of locks I have to lock/unlock with each operation

Although I must say, my favorite part of Gitzo's G-Lock technology is the very short 'throw' from locked to unlock. ie. you do not have to turn a long way before you reach the end. It almost feels like the flip-locks I normally prefer (Manfrotto 190 series for example).

4-section is good for travel. I no longer travel much, so my 1530 is perfect for use right here in SG.

I hang my camera bag from the hook underneath my tripod, both for convenience and for stability, so the 8kg weight holding is a bonus. If my tripod could not take it, I would just put the bag on the ground.

Gitzo bags are expensive, nowadays I just carry mine on an Optech tripod strap. Generic bags are fine, I have one of those too

I actually like the Benro bag.. just that I can't seem to find it for sale separately. Most of the time they are sold with the tripods.

Quote Originally Posted by insigma View Post
    Does anyone know of any cheaper places to get Gitzo's (in the world???)
    Good things never come cheap, but you better do your own searching as sometimes, it maybe cheap for you but not others.

Sorry to hijack this thread....

I was thinking between these 2 two tripods...
    1541 and 1541T..... would like to know which will be the better choice?
    any user whos is currently using any tripod pls kindly give you review and feedback...

thanks...

I was looking for a tripod too and just came in to see if I could get any review and so glad to find this track for some insightful comments.

When down to CP today and being introduced with Gitzo and KangRinpache ballhead.

Now trying to decide between 1541, 1541T & 1531.

What I need is ease for deployment and light for city walking trip. I have used a Manfotto but felt it too heavy for my shoulder.

Am also looking for KangRinpache NB2-B or NB3-B.

Read about the L-plate and I'm very interested in the ease of flipping between landscape to portrait. Not sure it could be used with KangRinpache ball head.

Am also not sure if NB2-B could be fit between those legs of 1541T when being folded back for transit.

Any pal can advice please. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by NotYet100 View Post
    I was looking for a tripod too and just came in to see if I could get any review and so glad to find this track for some insightful comments.

When down to CP today and being introduced with Gitzo and KangRinpache ballhead.

Now trying to decide between 1541, 1541T & 1531.

What I need is ease for deployment and light for city walking trip. I have used a Manfotto but felt it too heavy for my shoulder.

Am also looking for KangRinpache NB2-B or NB3-B.

Read about the L-plate and I'm very interested in the ease of flipping between landscape to portrait. Not sure it could be used with KangRinpache ball head.

Am also not sure if NB2-B could be fit between those legs of 1541T when being folded back for transit.

Any pal can advice please. Thank you.
    Even the NB3-B is a little too big to fit between the legs of the 1541T but I live with it. There is also the Markins Q3 ballhead to try.

L-plate should be compatible with the KR ballhead.

Hi An drew, thanks for sharing.

Looks like if I like the NB3-B or NB2-B, I should go for 1541 or 1531 without the T.

Personally I really like the design of the traveller tripod. It is so compact. I chose it although it is not the most stable.

I think the NB2 is oversized for the 1-series of Gitzo tripods (1541, 1531, etc). Have a look at the Markins Q3 as it is also a solid and compact tripodwith high ratings.

I went to CP but only to find out that they don't carry Markin. Silly me.

May I know where is a good place to get Markin Q3 and any idea what is the price range.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Hi, I will be going to HK end of this month. Heard that the Gitzo tripods there are very cheap. Hence keen in getting one.

I am looking for something that is lightweight yet strong for me to bring around. Thanks
    Group buy! Group buy!

Quote Originally Posted by NotYet100 View Post
    I went to CP but only to find out that they don't carry Markin. Silly me.

May I know where is a good place to get Markin Q3 and any idea what is the price range.

Many thanks.
    You can get Markins Q3 from either John 3:16 or TK. The price is the same at $450 for the ball head alone. Price of the release plate should be around $70-$80 depending on the model.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345