Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Gitzo Tripod to Buy?

Default Re: Which Gitzo Tripod to Buy?

chezburgr i can haz?

hmm the gitzo 0 series are definitely the lightest you can find....however, one thing to note is if you mount heavier lenses on it, (for eg. when i mounted the 70-200), it does wobble abit, ie. not that firm...it still can take the weight, but because the legs are really thin, you lose some stability. But if you dun use heavy setups on tripod(ie. non telephoto), should be fine..

The main difference that you should take note though about 0 series is..

centre column section for 0 series

Centre column for 1 series

For the 1 series and above, you notice that there is that notch(indicated by the arrow) at the centre column, whereas the 0 series does not have. From my experience, due to the absence of that notch for the 0 series, its not as easy to lock the centre column for the 0 series as the centre column will "rotate" a bit when u screw lock it, whereas the 1 series and above doesn't due to that notch(which sits in a slot present in the centre column). Yeah, may or may not be a pain in the ass for you, but i personally found it a bit troublesome to tighten the centre column sometimes, and i believe it affects the stability of the column some what.

but back to the point, 0 series really really light..haha, and when i say wobble, its like when wind blowing hard, or u tap the leg of the tripod a bit.

As for L brackets, it adds to the bulk of your camera, but it helps when u are taking pics in portrait position, and dun need to put the head into the sideways position(into the notch), allowing the head to be more secure.
    Last edited by tanjonhan; 9th November 2008 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tanjonhan View Post
    hmm the gitzo 0 series are definitely the lightest you can find....however, one thing to note is if you mount heavier lenses on it, (for eg. when i mounted the 70-200), it does wobble abit, ie. not that firm...it still can take the weight, but because the legs are really thin, you lose some stability. But if you dun use heavy setups on tripod(ie. non telephoto), should be fine..

The main difference that you should take note though about 0 series is..

centre column section for 0 series

Centre column for 1 series

For the 1 series and above, you notice that there is that notch(indicated by the arrow) at the centre column, whereas the 0 series does not have. From my experience, due to the absence of that notch for the 0 series, its not as easy to lock the centre column for the 0 series as the centre column will "rotate" a bit when u screw lock it, whereas the 1 series and above doesn't due to that notch(which sits in a slot present in the centre column). Yeah, may or may not be a pain in the ass for you, but i personally found it a bit troublesome to tighten the centre column sometimes, and i believe it affects the stability of the column some what.

but back to the point, 0 series really really light..haha, and when i say wobble, its like when wind blowing hard, or u tap the leg of the tripod a bit.

As for L brackets, it adds to the bulk of your camera, but it helps when u are taking pics in portrait position, and dun need to put the head into the sideways position(into the notch), allowing the head to be more secure.
    I was thinking whether I need the 8kg max load. cos the heaviest lens I will use is maybe the 80-200 or 70-200 with flash in it.

The weight difference between the 0531 and 1541 is close to 400g! and the price difference also quite a lot.

One thing I not sure is why people buy tripod that can support very heavy weight like 8kg. I was thinking do they really mount something close to that weight on the tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    I was thinking whether I need the 8kg max load. cos the heaviest lens I will use is maybe the 80-200 or 70-200 with flash in it.

The weight difference between the 0531 and 1541 is close to 400g! and the price difference also quite a lot.

One thing I not sure is why people buy tripod that can support very heavy weight like 8kg. I was thinking do they really mount something close to that weight on the tripod?
    hmm, the max weight rating is more like a gauge on how stable the tripod really is?

since u said u may use 70-200 with flash on the tripod, then i would advise u not to get the 0541, since its a little small. Will probably do the job just as well, and very easy to carry around, and smaller too, but the max height is lower, legs are thinner, and at 780g, your tripod head will easily be half as heavy as yr tripod..haha, not that its an issue. Well this is what i have to say having used the 0541(0540 actually) before.

*point to note though, i went to see the 0541 recently, i THINK the legs are more stable now compared to my 0540 last time...i THINK.....*

But at the same time, its no use getting a tripod that you will not carry out. so if you prefer the lighter combi, sure man...you will not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by tanjonhan View Post
    hmm, the max weight rating is more like a gauge on how stable the tripod really is?

since u said u may use 70-200 with flash on the tripod, then i would advise u not to get the 0541, since its a little small. Will probably do the job just as well, and very easy to carry around, and smaller too, but the max height is lower, legs are thinner, and at 780g, your tripod head will easily be half as heavy as yr tripod..haha, not that its an issue. Well this is what i have to say having used the 0541(0540 actually) before.

*point to note though, i went to see the 0541 recently, i THINK the legs are more stable now compared to my 0540 last time...i THINK.....*

But at the same time, its no use getting a tripod that you will not carry out. so if you prefer the lighter combi, sure man...you will not be disappointed.

Thanks a lot for the input bro. Will go HK and see whether worth to buy it. If not will buy in SG.

One more thing to add. May I know is there a separate knob for frcition control?

Thanks
    There is no one tripod that can do everything and there is always a compromise. The 1541T is probably the best option if you are looking for compactness and lightweight. The great thing about Gitzo is that you can collect tripods like lenses. Get a series 2, like a 2541 for general purpose and greater stability to complement your 1541T.

You have been well-advised with regard to ballheads. The Markins Q3 is probably the best locally available head to match the 1541T. Gitzo heads are not good for friction control.

Friction heads usually comes in 2 design, the Arca-Swiss design (single knob) or the Kirk design (2 knobs). The Markins follows the Arca-Swiss design and there is one main knob for locking and friction adjustment. This is better than the Kirk design.

TK is a good place to get the tripod and ballhead and plates.

You probably don't need an expensive L-plate as the Q3 is rather solid but you will need a tripod mount for the 70-200.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    There is no one tripod that can do everything and there is always a compromise. The 1541T is probably the best option if you are looking for compactness and lightweight. The great thing about Gitzo is that you can collect tripods like lenses. Get a series 2, like a 2541 for general purpose and greater stability to complement your 1541T.

You have been well-advised with regard to ballheads. The Markins Q3 is probably the best locally available head to match the 1541T. Gitzo heads are not good for friction control.

Friction heads usually comes in 2 design, the Arca-Swiss design (single knob) or the Kirk design (2 knobs). The Markins follows the Arca-Swiss design and there is one main knob for locking and friction adjustment. This is better than the Kirk design.

TK is a good place to get the tripod and ballhead and plates.

You probably don't need an expensive L-plate as the Q3 is rather solid but you will need a tripod mount for the 70-200.
    Hi, actually I was thinking of getting the 1541 as the 1541T is too short. Anyway, is friction control really important? Thanks
    Last edited by Henessy; 10th November 2008 at 05:02 PM.

Hi, actually I was thinking of getting the 1541 as the 1541T is too short. Anyway, is friction control really important? Thanks
    I suppose if you are not into long lenses friction control is not really important. If you do not need good friction control then you will save a bundle on expensive ballheads.

some people prefer 3-way pan/tilt heads.

Personally I prefer AS plates (Markins, Wimberley, RRS) as they hold my heavy lenses more securely. My heavier lens managed to dislodge itself from a Manfrotto head/plate during handling.

I suppose if you are not into long lenses friction control is not really important. If you do not need good friction control then you will save a bundle on expensive ballheads.

Personally I prefer AS plates (Markins, Wimberley, RRS) as they hold my heavy lenses more securely. My heavier lens managed to dislodge itself from a Manfrotto head/plate during handling.
    Thanks for the knowledge sharing. I think friction control not that important for me as don't foresee myself to use anything more than the 70-200 in future. Most of the time should be using my wide angle lens 17-35 with flash.

Just called TK photo, they quoted my $450 for the Markins Q3 and $350 for the gitzo 1780QR ballhead.

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Markins Q3T.... recommended for best stability up to 200mm lens
    Another vote for Q3 with 1530. Check out the 1530's height, it may be what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    Another vote for Q3 with 1530. Check out the 1530's height, it may be what you need.
    Hi, I try to search the 1530 previously on gitzo website but couldn't. May I know do you have the spec?

Thanks

I had a manfrotto 3-way pan tilt head, was OK with normal DSLR but when I got the 1Ds, it cannot make it, however hard I try to lock there is always creep. But how did your heavy lens dislodged itself from the head? I assume the plate is properly secured to body?

One shop recommended me the Gitzo 2531LVL + GH2780QR, I have not tried if it can support the 1Ds + lens.
    Last edited by twnll; 10th November 2008 at 08:12 PM.

Actually the gitzo 1780QR ball head is different from those conventional quick release. If I am not wrong it is those slot in kind.

why nobody looking at feisol?~?~
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    No shops selling it here mah. Though Feisol tripods also received rave reviews in Nikonians but people may still prefer to see the thing in life. I was initially tempted to get the CT-3441S but later chose the GT-1541.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Hi, I try to search the 1530 previously on gitzo website but couldn't. May I know do you have the spec?

Thanks
    http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/pid/4765?kindOfProductCollectionRequest=productDetail& productCode=GT1530&productDescription=Mountaineer% 206X%20tripod&curBrandId=BGI&market=MKT1&actualPat hCategoryKey=1CAT:AAA1:2CAT:BB59:3CAT:CC49:4CAT464&curMarketId=MARKET:MKT1

Quote Originally Posted by twnll View Post
    I had a manfrotto 3-way pan tilt head, was OK with normal DSLR but when I got the 1Ds, it cannot make it, however hard I try to lock there is always creep. But how did your heavy lens dislodged itself from the head? I assume the plate is properly secured to body?

One shop recommended me the Gitzo 2531LVL + GH2780QR, I have not tried if it can support the 1Ds + lens.
    Unless you get a good (i.e. expensive) head, there will usually be creep. But if you are not shooting long lenses or macro, you can still live with it.

The plate is properly secured to the lens but the ballhead QR design is not solid enough. The Manfrotto plate was also too small.

While I consider myself a Gitzo fan, I would not recommend Gitzo heads. I will recommend only heads from the following:
    Really Right Stuff, Wimberley, Arca Swiss, Markins and perhaps Kangrinpoche.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    Feisol is probably better value for money than Gitzo, but if you have the budget then might as well splurge for a better tripod.

Wah, the 1530, 1531, 1540, 1541 are all so similar and close. How to choose?

Wah, the 1530, 1531, 1540, 1541 are all so similar and close. How to choose?
    It looks like you have already narrowed things down to a series 1 carbon fiber.

G-lock is more stable than non-G lock. 3 sections is more stable than 4 sections. 4 sections is more compact than 3 sections. Traveller is even more compact than non-traveller. Series 2 is more stable than Series 1, etc. Carbon Gitzo prices are all about the same, so bigger ones actually give more value. Go down to the shop and play with them.

If you plan to travel with it then a 4 sections or even a traveller would be better. Otherwise a 3 sections would be cheaper and more stable. If you are going to use a car to ferry it mostly, then Series 2 would be more solid.

It looks like you have already narrowed things down to a series 1 carbon fiber.

G-lock is more stable than non-G lock. 3 sections is more stable than 4 sections. 4 sections is more compact than 3 sections. Traveller is even more compact than non-traveller. Series 2 is more stable than Series 1, etc. Carbon Gitzo prices are all about the same, so bigger ones actually give more value. Go down to the shop and play with them.

If you plan to travel with it then a 4 sections or even a traveller would be better. Otherwise a 3 sections would be cheaper and more stable. If you are going to use a car to ferry it mostly, then Series 2 would be more solid.
    Hi, may I know how to identify G-lock from non G-lock?

Actually what I am looking for is the lightest tripod with a decent height for me cos I do not like to extend centre column as it is troublesome and affects the stability of the tripod. For me I think 8kg will be more than enough cos I don't shoot with damn long fast telelens.

So may I know what would you recommend? Thanks
    Last edited by Henessy; 11th November 2008 at 11:43 PM.

Hi, may I know how to identify G-lock from non G-lock?

Actually what I am looking for is the lightest tripod with a decent height for me cos I do not like to extend centre column as it is troublesome and affects the stability of the tripod. For me I think 8kg will be more than enough cos I don't shoot with damn long fast telelens.

So may I know what would you recommend? Thanks
    I agree with Randius' choice of a 1541 although I am currently using a 1540T and a 2540. The 1541 comes with G-lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    If you want light-weight and compactness then it will be GT-1540T but it is rather short even when fully extended. I own the GT-1541 which is sufficient for my height (1.89m), is still pretty light but a little long when fully retracted.

Gitzo tripod are generally strong so I won't worry on that aspect.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast