Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Gitzo Tripod to Buy?

Default Re: Which Gitzo Tripod to Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Anyway, does anyone knows the price of the 1541 and 1541T?

Thanks
    Was quoted by CP 1541T = $826 before GST

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Markins Q3T.... recommended for best stability up to 200mm lens
    May I know can my current 488RC2 fit nicely?

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Was quoted by CP 1541T = $826 before GST
    Any idea about the 1541?

May I know can my current 488RC2 fit nicely?
    Sorry bro no idea..... so far have not seen any review 1541T + 488RC2

Any idea about the 1541?
    Din ask for 1541, but should be cheaper a bit

Any idea about the 1541?
    It is possible to get the GT-1541 at around 780 from TK. CP is selling at around 860.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    It is possible to get the GT-1541 at around 780 from TK. CP is selling at around 860.
    yup, 780 for 1541, TK is the best place to get Gitzo locally, or if u are a regular at K-13, someone told me its comparable.

If HK really 30% cheaper.... .....wahlao.haha...

anyway get a Q3 la...solid head =)

Quote Originally Posted by tanjonhan View Post
    yup, 780 for 1541, TK is the best place to get Gitzo locally, or if u are a regular at K-13, someone told me its comparable.

Was quoted $780 for 1541 and $820 for 1541T by Orient. At Cathay, it is $860 for 1541. All prices are after GST.

Quote Originally Posted by tanjonhan View Post

Thinking of getting a Gitzo GH1780QR

Seems quite good and light but make of magnesium, worry that it will corrode easily.

Today went cathay and saw the 1541, 1541T , 0531 and 0541. Didn't know that now gitzo tripods are very fast to tighten and release.

I am 1.7m tall. The 1541T seems a bit short without the centre column extended but really short and compact when retracted fully.

The 1541 seems just nice when fully extended without the centre column. But then a bit long when fully retracted but a bit heavier than the 1541T.

The 0531 and 0541 seems quite light. Even lighter than the 1541T. But the max weight it can take is only 5kg. Sian. Don't know what to take now

Today went cathay and saw the 1541, 1541T , 0531 and 0541. Didn't know that now gitzo tripods are very fast to tighten and release.

I am 1.7m tall. The 1541T seems a bit short without the centre column extended but really short and compact when retracted fully.

The 1541 seems just nice when fully extended without the centre column. But then a bit long when fully retracted but a bit heavier than the 1541T.

The 0531 and 0541 seems quite light. Even lighter than the 1541T. But the max weight it can take is only 5kg. Sian. Don't know what to take now
    I think your best choice will be the 1541. I believe you can bear with the slightly heavier weight and longer retracted length but the instability of extending center column and lower max load are not really desirable.

Hi, may I know what is the friction control of ball head all about? Was looking at the 1780QR ball head and realise it does not have friction control.

Is friction control that important?

Hi, may I know what is the friction control of ball head all about? Was looking at the 1780QR ball head and realise it does not have friction control.

Is friction control that important?
    The friction control, once set properly, allows you to still move your gear under pressure, but it will stay put and won't creep at any angle. I will say the feature is very useful and may be more so for macro shooters.
    Last edited by Randius; 9th November 2008 at 10:29 AM.

The friction control, once set properly, allows you to still move your gear under pressure, but it will stay put and won't creep at any angle. I will say the feature is very useful and may be more so for macro shooters.
    That means when I loosen the main knob, the friction control will keep the ball head in position so the ball head will not suddenly dip downwards due to camera weight?

One more thing to add. May I know is there a separate knob for frcition control?

Thanks

That means when I loosen the main knob, the friction control will keep the ball head in position so the ball head will not suddenly dip downwards due to camera weight?
    In short, yes. You can also use the feature to move your gear without loosening the main knob if the "sweet spot" is set properly.

One more thing to add. May I know is there a separate knob for frcition control?
    For Markins ball heads, the friction control dial is on the main knob itself.

Wah. Then should I get the gitzo 1780QR tripod head? It is very light 350g and can hold up to 10kg. But got no friction control.

Currently I using the manfrotto 488rc2. Quite a good head. But a bit heavy.

Wah. Then should I get the gitzo 1780QR tripod head? It is very light 350g and can hold up to 10kg. But got no friction control.

Currently I using the manfrotto 488rc2. Quite a good head. But a bit heavy.
    I had also used the 488RC2 before but it is too heavy (about 700g) for my liking. Later, I switched to using Markins Q3 because of rave reviews in Nikonians and it is available locally at TK and J3:16. Q3 is about 500g and can hold up to 40kg.

I believe 1780QR uses proprietary plate and is not Arca-Swiss compatible. That will be a problem if you wish to get an L-bracket in future. If not, the 1780QR should be fine but as usual, test out with your equipment first.

I had also used the 488RC2 before but it is too heavy (about 700g) for my liking. Later, I switched to using Markins Q3 because of rave reviews in Nikonians and it is available locally at TK and J3:16. Q3 is about 500g and can hold up to 40kg.

I believe 1780QR uses proprietary plate and is not Arca-Swiss compatible. That will be a problem if you wish to get an L-bracket in future. If not, the 1780QR should be fine but as usual, test out with your equipment first.
    May I know what is the L bracket for? Never really see before though got hear before

May I know what is the L bracket for? Never really see before though got hear before
    its a L-shaped plate.........................

i think you should try googling it. there are lots of pictures of it.

and as per your qn on friction control, you should know it on your 488rc2? i believe it has a friction control also
    chezburgr i can haz?

You may wish to refer to its use and advantages as stated here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast