Thread: Brightness and Contrast of digital photos ?

Question Brightness and Contrast of digital photos ?

Does anyone knows how does the auto-level and auto contrast of the adobe photoshop works? Does it auto adjust the brightess and contrast of the photos according to your monitor settings ?
    Sometimes when I did a auto level and auto contrast of the photos, the pictures look fine on my lcd monitor but looks much darker at my office crt monitor. Is it better to calibrate a CRT monitor and use it for digital image editing than a lcd monitor ?

Btw, does this photo looks too dark to you ? Can you clearly see the motorbike at the background ? Thanks.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Deregistered

Hi Majere2sg.
    Your pix is ok to me. But then again, my monitor (CRT) is already setup for offset and photo-lab printing. So.....
    Normally, I'd say that you'll want a 2.2 Gamma for PC/Windows-based systems. And decide what you want out of your shots - like for print (WYSIWYG 95%) or for Web only, or what?
    Anyway, you mind PM me how you setup your monitor? Like what brand/model, the gamma settings, etc. I'll reply with some tips and where to go to get your gear set up....

Cheers,

your pic is oke
    but if uwant more light add abit more
    to me it abit only dark lor

Quote Originally Posted by majere2sg
    Does anyone knows how does the auto-level and auto contrast of the adobe photoshop works? Does it auto adjust the brightess and contrast of the photos according to your monitor settings ?
    Sometimes when I did a auto level and auto contrast of the photos, the pictures look fine on my lcd monitor but looks much darker at my office crt monitor. Is it better to calibrate a CRT monitor and use it for digital image editing than a lcd monitor ?

Btw, does this photo looks too dark to you ? Can you clearly see the motorbike at the background ? Thanks.
    the pic seems ok to me

I believe the auto level and contrast work based on the histogram of the pic, not the brightness of yr monitor. A CRT or LCD monitor will be equally good for digital imaging as long as it's calibrated.

If u r not able to get hold of calibrating equipment, u can try this

1) Develop a few pics and tell the lab ppl strictly no correction.
    2) Adjust the brightness/contrast/colour according to the developed "raw" pictures.

I have been doing this and been patronising the same lab .. so this work pretty fine for me.