Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why you do not want to ride a bicycle?

Default Re: Why you do not want to ride a bicycle?

In my housing estate, the bike thieves here used some sort of mechanized saw to remove the steel railing which the bike is locked onto (the cuts are very clean).

The flats around here are currently having lift upgrading works, so I suspect the bikes were stolen by the workers.

I do want to ride a bicycle, but have put off purchasing a bicycle in Singapore ever since returning from Japan where I used a bicycle almost everytime I went out. But I'm thinking of heading to east coast to rent a ride already!

Foremost is the issue of thefts, though after reading the many posts I realised I just have to deter potential thefts. I didn't think people would even go to the extent of sawing the bicycle posts, so it looks like stronger security measures are needed.

Actually I had a bicycle in Singapore a few years back and used it to go to the market and food centre. But I was renting a private apartment, and actually didn't think too much about security as far as just chaining the bike to a post or grille when outside, and just chaining the wheels when parking the bike outside of the apartment (a few floors up from ground).

A neighbour on the same floor I am living on now in a HDB block had his bike stolen from outside his house. So having the bike up beyond the 10th level is still no good if the locks can be dismantled.

There are bike thieves in Japan too. Most bikes seem to be stolen at the train stations, perhaps the sheer number of bikes parked there make it easier for thieves to walk around to find a target. Where I lived they had signs from the police telling people to be more careful, and a chart indicating the number of bikes stolen. During mornings there are caretakers who go around shifting the bikes (the space is largely open without posts) to make more space for parking. Their presence probably deter some thieves.

Once, my girlfriend once parked her bike at the station and left the keys hanging to the lock. We were away for a trip and one week later miraculously the bike was still there.

At my school bikes were stolen from people who didn't bother or forgot to lock their bikes. A classmate once even caught a high school student riding his stolen bike.

Shall put aside these bits about bike thefts for the moment Yes, why not ride a bike?

Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Let us have more details regarding the route.

The distance from home to office is about 107.5km which is quite a distance.

On regular cycling trips round the island it takes between 130 to 165km only.
    But your one way trip is 107.5km. You must be working off island in Bukom or
    Senoko. That distance covered must be on an automobile travelling on the highway!

A typical round island trip is about 106-110km. Depending on the slight variations upon the route used. An extended round-island trip goes up to about 150km, beyond that you're making unnecessary detours.

The crux of the problem is not weather. Its the MINDSET.

Mindset of :

i) The Government : Anything that cannot generate revenue or is visible on the national agenda (its called IMAGE) never seems to get encouraged( I still cannot think of one.... ) . Even if it ultimately has more benefits to Singaporeans as a whole.

ii) Singaporeans in general : Anything beyond 1 km is too far. Anything that may cause a bit of sweating is too hard. Anything that has visible upfront costs is too expensive. ( Just ask anyone on the streets if they would walk 3 bus stops (in the hot sun) less than 1 km away as its more convenient and better for the environment and they will give you the ( Ehh.. you xiao ah !) LOOK!

iii) Most car drivers : Anything that has less than 4 wheels is crap on the road. (even motorcycles!). They seem to equate road tax to the exclusive right to ride on the road. I have even come across a pretty crass (and not very young) man who says " You mean I'm supposed to give way even to bicycles on the road ah ?" "...but I pay road tax and he doesn't ! " ... So much so, in the past 10+ years, I've come across myriad and uncountable situations where drivers with such bad attitudes have put mine and my friends' lifes in peril. They simply can't be bothered... When you confront them, they simply say "..So ?.. Never hit you right..?" But the question here is " ... what are you gonna do if you did ?"

iv) Mindset of most employers : "Bicycles are crap, they have no place in the office, bring them at your own peril, no facilities will be provided for storage" "But the senior managers complain that there is not enough parking lots for the employees and customers so we will be adding another 20% more parking lots in the company compounds over the next 3 months! "

Such is the poor state of things in Singapore.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_300510.html

looks like this bike lodging thing might gain some momentum given the recent media hype..

Up for bike lodging... cool... but beware, any ideal that can generate revenue, the Government might want to copy it. Next time they will start charging and monopolyizing the bike lodging system if more people start to cycle to work .

then they will set up a Public Bike-Lodging Council that is supposed to regulate price increases in bike lodging but instead approves all bike lodging price increases every time the bike lodging companies submits a request.

hmmm.. sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    This is another good example of fear, "too far"!

A friend from Malaysia was laughing when he heard the same story about riding from
    east to west or north to south in this tiny island of Singapore is too far.

Many of the foreign workers staying in Yishun are riding to work in the city area. The
    distance to and fro is more than 40 kilometers. They started out early in the morning at
    about six. It is simple if you just make some adjustment to your thinking.
    i wonder how many offices in town has a shower room?

now i know too why it smells different, the malls in kl n sin.

2 times kena stolen, not buying anymore.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

http://ocbc.cyclesingapore.com.sg/

Next year February.

You could rent bikes at the event too, according to the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by f1to128 View Post
    http://ocbc.cyclesingapore.com.sg/

Next year February.

You could rent bikes at the event too, according to the FAQ.
    I think I will take part. Sounds like fun.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234