Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why you do not want to ride a bicycle?

Default Re: Why you do not want to ride a bicycle?

cycling will cause men impotent :

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-n...-Study/333417/
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    I agree with you 1,000 times.....

See my posting #20.
    Last edited by photobum; 6th November 2008 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    This is another good example of fear, "too far"!

A friend from Malaysia was laughing when he heard the same story about riding from
    east to west or north to south in this tiny island of Singapore is too far.

Many of the foreign workers staying in Yishun are riding to work in the city area. The
    distance to and fro is more than 40 kilometers. They started out early in the morning at
    about six. It is simple if you just make some adjustment to your thinking.
    I measured today.
    Distance to and fro work is 215km...
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Back side damn painful....Urgh... !! Thats why I dont like. Dont like it !
    Mee Poh Man. "I am kampong man"

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Mentioning about folding bikes, I get furious.

I used to own one of those Strida folding bikes (as shown above). I rode on it for 3 weeks and the welding broke. The supporting bar gave way and almost kenna my family jewels. Lucky, I jump off the bike fast enough and 'siam' being bang in the nuts. Phew....

Now, I refuse to ride any bike; be it folding or non-folding.
    I own the same bike brand. Two in fact. Strida 3.3 (yellow) and Strida Mini (white).
    Bought from local shop in singapore.

I ride fast and furious such the the shop owner worry for my life (and secretly for the bicycle), and so far have not encountered any serious accident other than almost get strangled by the rusty chain which some security guard put up at orchard boulevard so people do not park motorcycle in the building and flipping over in front of a car which came out suddenly from a hidden car park, from the old building next to NAFA at bencoolen street, and falling down because I ride bike fast and furious during the rain (the tyre is not designed for slippery wet surfaces like marble tiles).

I can say that my Strida 3.3 has been abused badly for 2 years and it has not broke at all. Well the ball join pops out 2x but that is during folding / unfolding when it is over extended but that one is an easy fix.

I have Strida Mini for about 2 weeks and have not have any problem with it (still new).

I do not 100% cycle to work because I can cycle to MRT, go in, get off at destination and cycle again. It is a mixed transport. Well can only do that on Sat and Sunday nowadays cos I follow the law and we are not allowed to bring folding bikes into public transport during peak hour when I travel to work during weekdays, but I do so during weekends.

One reason for this to break down is that it could be immitation (non original). I was told that there are shop here selling non original strida (china made imitation) so they use cheapest parts that is not always safe. Mine is 100% made in Taiwan. By Ming Cycle.

About cycling and shooting - well you dont have to do both at the same time. You can stop and shoot while you are not cycling. Why endanger your life?

About fertility problem, just change the saddle man, buy more expensive one which is more comfortable.
    Last edited by aryanto; 6th November 2008 at 06:01 PM.

I don't want to ride a bike because too many lousy drivers here.

back home, our busses had foldable bike racks on them. That way you could catch a bus and use your bike as well. Here, if people seem to have no patience for a bus taking time to let a wheelchair bound person get on or off, there is no way they will be patient enough to allow 10-15 seconds to get a bike on and off a rack attached to the bus. we even had soft racks that taxi drivers had for bike riders. sometimes you take a taxi to one place, but then need to bike in between. really, i don't know why singapore does not adopt some very very simple measures. i can only think of two reasons... no money to be made by the government, and people have no patience for the other guy.

here's a demo of the bike racks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-8v...eature=related

as always, keep smiling

Bicycle security:

And you can always impress a model with your fancy bicycle

or cycle and find out that someone is shooting a korean commercial - IN SINGAPORE! and took some snaps from far far away.

Last edited by aryanto; 6th November 2008 at 06:10 PM.

er..

1. I don't hold a office based job, and I cannot ride my bike to meet my customers so I have to drive
    2. I cannot park my bike at the MRT station, cos no matter how cheap my bike, the china f**kers will still want to steal it
    3. With singapore's lovely weather, i'll be like superman zipping in and out of under the overhead bridge changing into my hero's uniform
    4. Singapore Pedestrians are either stupid, or physically unable to take a step to the side and let the bike pass, even after multiple, ring ring, excuse me, hallo, get the ***** OUT OF THE WAY.

personally i love riding bike, especially offroads, do it like 3-4x a week now, on my own time

Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    er..
    2. I cannot park my bike at the MRT station, cos no matter how cheap my bike, the china f**kers will still want to steal it
    They are not always from china...

4. Singapore Pedestrians are either stupid, or physically unable to take a step to the side and let the bike pass, even after multiple, ring ring, excuse me, hallo, get the ***** OUT OF THE WAY.
    If like that sometimes I simply ride on the grass next to the pavement if it is available. If not I dismount, walk faster than them and then ride again. No problem right?

personally i love riding bike, especially offroads, do it like 3-4x a week now, on my own time
    That is a very good exercise. I prefer pavement as choice for off-road

No shower facility is the main reason for not cycling to work. My friend in Australia says they have nice showering facility in office in Sydney.

I would have adjusted my traveling habit like the ang mohs does. Waking early in the early to cycle to work. More healthy as Singapore is so small. I cycle from sengkang to jurong east before 3 hours tops during lunch hour...super hot. still alive.

Well can imagine why no shower facility in singapore... Less COE... ERP... Road tax...etc etc..

Our Gamen knows their maths.

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    My neighbour was a trishaw pedaler and he had 8 kids.

photobum's bicycle mishap was really hilarious.
    aryanto : how much did you pay for the strida?

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Mentioning about folding bikes, I get furious.

I used to own one of those Strida folding bikes (as shown above). I rode on it for 3 weeks and the welding broke. The supporting bar gave way and almost kenna my family jewels. Lucky, I jump off the bike fast enough and 'siam' being bang in the nuts. Phew....

Now, I refuse to ride any bike; be it folding or non-folding.
    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    I own the same bike brand. Two in fact. Strida 3.3 (yellow) and Strida Mini (white).
    Bought from local shop in singapore.

I ride fast and furious such the the shop owner worry for my life (and secretly for the bicycle), and so far have not encountered any serious accident other than almost get strangled by the rusty chain which some security guard put up at orchard boulevard so people do not park motorcycle in the building and flipping over in front of a car which came out suddenly from a hidden car park, from the old building next to NAFA at bencoolen street, and falling down because I ride bike fast and furious during the rain (the tyre is not designed for slippery wet surfaces like marble tiles).

I can say that my Strida 3.3 has been abused badly for 2 years and it has not broke at all. Well the ball join pops out 2x but that is during folding / unfolding when it is over extended but that one is an easy fix.

I have Strida Mini for about 2 weeks and have not have any problem with it (still new).

I do not 100% cycle to work because I can cycle to MRT, go in, get off at destination and cycle again. It is a mixed transport. Well can only do that on Sat and Sunday nowadays cos I follow the law and we are not allowed to bring folding bikes into public transport during peak hour when I travel to work during weekdays, but I do so during weekends.

One reason for this to break down is that it could be immitation (non original). I was told that there are shop here selling non original strida (china made imitation) so they use cheapest parts that is not always safe. Mine is 100% made in Taiwan. By Ming Cycle.

About cycling and shooting - well you dont have to do both at the same time. You can stop and shoot while you are not cycling. Why endanger your life?

About fertility problem, just change the saddle man, buy more expensive one which is more comfortable.
    i see that you both are EX-Strida owners, and would have used the bike for sometime.

I would really really be very happy, and appreciated if you both could share with me your experiences as a rider and user of Strida, and if you are free and have additional time to type a while longer, probably you can talk about what you would do to the bike for improvement if you are given the ability to remodel one.

Ride on pavement kenna scolded by pedestrians.
    Ride on road kenna bullied by vehicles.
    Ride too fast to work scared sweat too much.
    Ride too slow to work scared reach too late.
    Keep outside flat scared people steal.
    Keep inside flat scared mother scold.

Quote Originally Posted by bhybhy View Post
    No shower facility is the main reason for not cycling to work. My friend in Australia says they have nice showering facility in office in Sydney.

I would have adjusted my traveling habit like the ang mohs does. Waking early in the early to cycle to work. More healthy as Singapore is so small. I cycle from sengkang to jurong east before 3 hours tops during lunch hour...super hot. still alive.

Well can imagine why no shower facility in singapore... Less COE... ERP... Road tax...etc etc..

Our Gamen knows their maths.
    ya, shower facility and parking are the main problems for cycling to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Ride on pavement kenna scolded by pedestrians.
    Ride on road kenna bullied by vehicles.
    Ride too fast to work scared sweat too much.
    Ride too slow to work scared reach too late.
    Keep outside flat scared people steal.
    Keep inside flat scared mother scold.
    Solution: Don't ride.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Solution: Don't ride.
    Hence my answer to the thread tittle.

Smile Re: Why you do not want to ride a bicycle?

Why not have a public bike system like in paris, beijing and now vancouver? just rent the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by leej0038 View Post
    photobum's bicycle mishap was really hilarious.
    You find my mishap hilarious?
    Last edited by photobum; 7th November 2008 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leej0038 View Post
    i'd wanna try commuting to work in the near future, i was half serious about getting a foldable bike once.
    Great! for a start if you are on a low budget, get one from the Urata series. Robust and
    rugged, very affordable. Saw an elderly couple using the Urata foldable for leisure riding
    along East Coast Park. The bike has fenders, rear rack with Shimano Revo-shifters costing
    slightly more than S$250.

If you decide to get a lighter bike be prepared to pay a little bit more for the popular
    Dahon. Many motorists kept one of the Dahons in the boot of their cars and go to East
    Coast after office hours for a two hours recreational ride.

Here are more informations on buying a foldable bike.

Enjoy doing your research first before getting your first foldable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast