Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Battery or charger problem?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Battery or charger problem?

    The life of my batteries (for Canon 400D) have a sudden significant drop in performance, i.e. don't last long before going flat. I have 2 batteries - 1 original and 1 cheong. Both batteries seem to have a significant drop but the cheong one is exceptionally attrocious (about 20 non-flash normal exposure photos). I also noticed that together with this performance drop, the charge time is very short too. The cheong battery can go from fully flat to fully charged in like 10 mins... which is very unusual; used to take an hour or so. The original battery too showed the same symtoms... shorter charge time than usual and shorter battery life. I do note that these batteries are almost 2 years old and it's not unusual that their life is shorter, but due to the shorter charge time, I am not sure if the problem is that the charger is faulty and not charging the batteries properly, or it is the batteries that have a shorter life now due to old age and hence shorter charge time. I suspect it is the charger that is problematic because if it is the battery that is faulty, it is very coincidental that both batteries showed a performance drop at the exact same time. And both batteries started to have shorter charge time at the same time. Anyone knows how to check if battery or charger is faulty? I need to know which one has the problem in order to know which one to replace right?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    311

    Default Re: Battery or charger problem?

    Cant tell... but lithium cells cant be left drained for too long. They will deteriorate. This is why they come half-charged when u buy them.


  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Battery or charger problem?

    Go loan a spare charger and check. If it can top up the charge properly, it may be the charger issue, but it may also be a case of battery deterioration.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Battery or charger problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie88 View Post
    Cant tell... but lithium cells cant be left drained for too long. They will deteriorate. This is why they come half-charged when u buy them.

    They are never left drained... I usually charge them on the same day that I get home from a shoot.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Battery or charger problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    The life of my batteries (for Canon 400D) have a sudden significant drop in performance, i.e. don't last long before going flat. I have 2 batteries - 1 original and 1 cheong. Both batteries seem to have a significant drop but the cheong one is exceptionally attrocious (about 20 non-flash normal exposure photos). I also noticed that together with this performance drop, the charge time is very short too. The cheong battery can go from fully flat to fully charged in like 10 mins... which is very unusual; used to take an hour or so. The original battery too showed the same symtoms... shorter charge time than usual and shorter battery life. I do note that these batteries are almost 2 years old and it's not unusual that their life is shorter, but due to the shorter charge time, I am not sure if the problem is that the charger is faulty and not charging the batteries properly, or it is the batteries that have a shorter life now due to old age and hence shorter charge time. I suspect it is the charger that is problematic because if it is the battery that is faulty, it is very coincidental that both batteries showed a performance drop at the exact same time. And both batteries started to have shorter charge time at the same time. Anyone knows how to check if battery or charger is faulty? I need to know which one has the problem in order to know which one to replace right?
    how long do you leave the battery in the charger after full charge?
    I photograph the dead.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Battery or charger problem?

    Sounds suspiciously like a charger problem. My old BP-511A (30D battery) charger had the same problem. After cleaning the contacts, the problem was remedied.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Battery or charger problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashbulb View Post
    how long do you leave the battery in the charger after full charge?
    I turn off the main power as soon as I see it is fully charged.

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Sounds suspiciously like a charger problem. My old BP-511A (30D battery) charger had the same problem. After cleaning the contacts, the problem was remedied.
    Hmm.... thanks... I will try that. Hope it works.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •