Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My brilliant sunset

Default Re: My brilliant sunset

nice color, nice exposure; only question is, why portrait?

i would avoid portrait here like the blazes, unless i find something substantial to use as a foregorund, and minimize the sky. bare sky does nothing for a photograph, unless you use it effectively as space. there is nothing to look at the top of the photogrpah, but there is a top, so the photograph feels unbalanced. it is probably a good idea to use a landscape format (horizontal) here.

even with landscape format though - take note of the elements in your photograph - i see two rocks there, i see what looks like more in the distance - picture the photograph without it. does it look better? picture the photograph with the rocks (in horizontal format) in the bottom left or right third. every element counts, and they either add to your picture, or take away; there is so such thing as a neutral element; when you include something, think very carefully; if it subtracts from your picture and you cannot think of a way to make it work,exclude it.

as to how to exclude, well, sometimes you have to make sacrifices..

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    nice color, nice exposure; only question is, why portrait?

i would avoid portrait here like the blazes, unless i find something substantial to use as a foregorund, and minimize the sky. bare sky does nothing for a photograph, unless you use it effectively as space. there is nothing to look at the top of the photogrpah, but there is a top, so the photograph feels unbalanced. it is probably a good idea to use a landscape format (horizontal) here.

even with landscape format though - take note of the elements in your photograph - i see two rocks there, i see what looks like more in the distance - picture the photograph without it. does it look better? picture the photograph with the rocks (in horizontal format) in the bottom left or right third. every element counts, and they either add to your picture, or take away; there is so such thing as a neutral element; when you include something, think very carefully; if it subtracts from your picture and you cannot think of a way to make it work,exclude it.
    as to how to exclude, well, sometimes you have to make sacrifices..

cheers.
    I agree to this point. When there's nothing to shoot, then shoot nothing.
    Unless you're learning to get the settings right, this may just be another test shot to be used for other similar photo opportunities later.

Keep shooting!
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Nice colours..great to be able to capture it....however the picture does not have balance like night86mare says. Maybe because there are lights and rocks and stuff on the left side and ends quite abruptly on the right side due to portrait style. I would feel it is more balanced if taken in landscape style.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12