Thread: The Beginning or the End?

Default The Beginning or the End?

Hi all~
    HDR images has always been something i wanted to try and i finally tried it on this fine magic hour on a sunday evening, when the sky had this great range of colours.
    Shot was taken at or about 630pm.

or, large image here : http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/...5039e6c9_b.jpg

This image is processed on Photoshop CS3 with 3 shots from my Canon 350D and downgraded into JPEG format.

I'm wondering... How's the colours on the whole working? I don't really know if I'm exploiting HDR processing well enough.
    When i was tweeking around with the curves i somehow didn't like the image with the foreground showing details, so i darkened them out slightly. (well the JPEG format looks totally dark anyway)

Would like to hear from some of your guys about HDR stuffs and cool tips. I'm beginning to grow onto this whole new area of photography.

Cheers guys, have a great week ahead~!

Default Re: The Beginning or the End?

I don't see any HDR. All I see is a very (over)contrasted image.

In fact, this is the anti-thesis of HDR work - the silhouette.

hmm perhaps i've picked a wrong subject? I should try it with another approach....?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrush View Post
    hmm perhaps i've picked a wrong subject? I should try it with another approach....?
    I think this image has the potential for HDR, but you need to understand what HDR is about.

HDR is known as High Dynamic Range. Dynamic Range (DR) refers to the latitude of detail throughout a range of exposures that can be rendered by an imaging sensor. Naturally, our eyes give us the best latitude. We can look out of our house window on a sunny day, and comfortably view the outdoors, which are a good three to five stops brighter than the insides of our house, yet see the insides of our house well exposed

HDR is a technique used to overcome the limited DR of an imaging sensor. This is an example that I would say is quite similar to yours, because I am shooting into the sun. (Let me know if you want it taken off your thread.)

The execution involved taking three exposures, two stops underexposed, neutral, and two stops overexposed. Metering also plays a part; you need to know what to meter in the scene, as this will also affect the latitude of your final image.

Then of course, you'll have to run the images through merging. There are various methods to go about this. All my HDR work to date is done in Photomatix Pro. Merging and tone-mapping are both performed in there. It is at tone-mapping that you will have to be very discerning, as how you map will affect how natural/artificial the image will look. Look up some of night86mare's images and you will find he uses a different technique for some of his HDR work, that involves painstakingly using layers in Photoshop, then masking them with a brush. This usually gives the most natural look, but you need to know what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I don't see any HDR. All I see is a very (over)contrasted image.

In fact, this is the anti-thesis of HDR work - the silhouette.

okay~ cool thanks so much, i'm gonna be working on it~

cheers!