Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Freehold vs 99yrs property

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    430

    Default Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Hi fellow csers,

    Can anyone enlighten me on the differences of buying a FH property vs a 99yrs property? I have been asking various housing agents but getting different opinions. Seems that everyone is answering my question based on their agenda (i.e what are they trying to sell me). I hope to get a more neutral and unbias answer here.

    All advise appreciated. TIA!

    cheers.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Freehold means that the plot belongs to you? I also blur...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Always thought Freehold means 999 years.........vs 99 years.

    HS

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    my thoughts too, which i believe is true.
    FH = 999 yrs
    99yrs = 99yrs

    but what does all these figures mean when it comes to investments potential? Does FH equates to more resistance to market slump? Does FH equates to higher increase in $$ during a property boom? We probably will not live so long as to outlive the lease, so why are ppl paying more $ for FH homes?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    freehold is not = 999 years.

    Freehold mean the plot of land belongs to you like forever... theoretically anyway since the government can always buy over the land for a small price if they want to.

    Nowadays like never see 999 years property also. But then not house hunting so never check as well.
    Last edited by jamomatt; 5th November 2008 at 12:01 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Quote Originally Posted by jamomatt View Post
    freehold is not = 999 years.

    Freehold mean the plot of land belongs to you like forever... theoretically anyway since the government can always buy over the land for a small price if they want to.

    Nowadays like never see 999 years property also. But then not house hunting so never check as well.
    Freehold is 999 years.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Freehold means you are buying over that plot. 999 years is a lease.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Lintas
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Quote Originally Posted by jamomatt View Post
    Freehold means you are buying over that plot. 999 years is a lease.
    freehold... do u hold the strata title or what? that's more important.

    the number doesn't make sense to us.

    even for lease hold 99yrs, before you live at the place for 30 yrs, enbloc, aqusition .... etc.

    The numbers only play part in short term value, the land strata you hold is the one that plays long term value!!!

    That's why we foreigner can buy freehold condo (only strata title, no land title), cannot buy landed property (unless approved by MAS, other authorithies).

  9. #9

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    For a freehold property, you have an unlimited tenure i.e. you have the land forever and you hold it indefinitely. For example you can transfer the land during your lifetime or upon your death to whoever you want to. You kinda have like absolute ownership over the property.

    Leasehold Estates includes all those properties that have all the 99 years,999 years and etc. Examples will be like your HDB flats and some condominiums and terraces.

    You may want to check on estates in perpetuity as well.Its something like freehold but the owner holds it subject to terms and conditions stated in the States Land Act.

    i am jut giving you an overview of what i was thought in my conveyancing law class.hope it helps.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Quote Originally Posted by himynameis-Shaf View Post
    For a freehold property, you have an unlimited tenure i.e. you have the land forever and you hold it indefinitely. For example you can transfer the land during your lifetime or upon your death to whoever you want to. You kinda have like absolute ownership over the property.

    Leasehold Estates includes all those properties that have all the 99 years,999 years and etc. Examples will be like your HDB flats and some condominiums and terraces.

    You may want to check on estates in perpetuity as well.Its something like freehold but the owner holds it subject to terms and conditions stated in the States Land Act.

    i am jut giving you an overview of what i was thought in my conveyancing law class.hope it helps.
    If with Freehold you own the land below your house, how about Freehold Condominiums? Do the people below and above you own the same piece of land????

    HS

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Lintas
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    If with Freehold you own the land below your house, how about Freehold Condominiums? Do the people below and above you own the same piece of land????

    HS
    nope, those freehold condo is strata title. You are entitle to sell your area (in the air) because of "layer" or strata. You cannot / not entitle to do anything to the land your condo is built on.
    That's why foreigners can buy "freehold condo".

    For landed, you own the plot. You pay whatever taxes related to the land, you can develop according to the land title usage / planning. And you really own this peace of land!!!! There's even area at the beach or sea water, all with registered title and demarked by surveyor.

    So the power or owning a peace of land is really different from owning a unit of private apartment / condo / penthouse.... Even in M'sia, not many landed title owned by the people.

  12. #12
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    In this day and age, with en bloc and collective sales, and with the Govt's powers of acquisition, I'm questioning the real benefit of freehold.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Not forgetting that CPF have different withdrawal rules for properties with leases less than 60 years remaining life - less amount can be withdrawn. This is important as many use CPF to fund property purchase. Less from CPF means more from free cash flow - this will definitely impact a purchaser decision especially if he is planning to fund through CPF.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    99 years = you know the clock is ticking
    Freehold = you think its yours forever

  15. #15
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    If with Freehold you own the land below your house, how about Freehold Condominiums? Do the people below and above you own the same piece of land????

    HS
    My question too!

    Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    nope, those freehold condo is strata title. You are entitle to sell your area (in the air) because of "layer" or strata. You cannot / not entitle to do anything to the land your condo is built on.
    That's why foreigners can buy "freehold condo".

    For landed, you own the plot. You pay whatever taxes related to the land, you can develop according to the land title usage / planning. And you really own this peace of land!!!! There's even area at the beach or sea water, all with registered title and demarked by surveyor.

    So the power or owning a peace of land is really different from owning a unit of private apartment / condo / penthouse.... Even in M'sia, not many landed title owned by the people.
    shorty, thanks for the reply!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    when my parents bought their property, it was a freehold.
    But when they sold it, the land deed actually said it has about 800++ years left.

    So what does that mean?

    Singapore has 3 types of "lease" Freehold, 999 years and 99 years?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Alexandra
    Posts
    350

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Freehold = Freehold
    Leasehold = 99 or 999-year leasehold

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  19. #19
    Senior Member melvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    TPY
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    Freehold = U r Free to hold forever!

    Leasehold = 30yrs, 60yrs, 99yrs, 999yrs, 9999yrs, u are not free to hold forever!

    Nisa sorry to say but ur parents kena smoke!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Freehold vs 99yrs property

    For strata titles, under normal buy and sell scenarios, the seller sells only his apartment.

    But the other point to take note of is the apartment has an attached "share value" of the entire estate. A strata title does not mean that you do not own the land, it merely refines it further to say that no one individual owns it directly, but it is collective ownership. The collective share values owns the land the apartment sits on. No single owner can transact this land, but collectively, the owners can pool together and agree to a collective sale of the land and everything on it. (If strata titles dont own the land, then logic dictates that they cannot sell the land in an enbloc scenario.)

    In enbloc, it is not the value of the apartment that drives the value, it is the amount of land that the apartment sits on plus a few other factors like plot ratio and height limit. Thats why we have a situation whereby one's unit may only worth $0.5 mil in the resale market whereas in an enbloc scenario, the amount one can get is $2 mil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •