Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Street Photography with a Pentax

Default Re: Street Photography with a Pentax

hmmm i guess i'll do what a friend suggested - use the kit like a prime, find out which focal lengths i work better with (i think.. wide will not be too far off the mark, but wide has too many details/distortion inherent as well)..

thanks for all your replies, i am reading all of them!

Ben Loke - thanks for the offer, but i think it'd be hard, i won't be in singapore until summer.. really appreciate it though

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

Ben Loke - thanks for the offer, but i think it'd be hard, i won't be in singapore until summer.. really appreciate it though
    You're welcome bro.

Some images by the DA40 as promised.

I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Hi Night86mare:

I'm the guy selling the two 28mm's on B&S.

I'm finding this thread very interesting as I have an avid interest in street photography myself. I don't have the DA40mm but have used 21mm, 28mm and 50mm for street photography. I thought I'd put in my two cents' worth. But of course, its just about my personal experience and preferences.

For me, 50mm is definitely too long for street on APS-C.

Between the 21mm and 28mm lenses, if purely considering the field of view, I find the 28mm is more of an all-rounder and better suited for street photography. Being equivalent to 42mm field of view on 35mm format, it is actually a "normal" lens for APS-C. The advantage of this lens is its versatility as it is simply neither too long nor to wide. Depending on how you use it, the result can appear to be slightly telephoto or wide-angled to suit the subject matter. The best explanation of this can be found here:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...m-may-05.shtml

The 21mm, though not as versatile on the street, can be very useful indoors where I find I generally need a wider field of view. The disadvantage as compared to the 28mm is that the lens tends to show some distortion precisely because of the width. Overall I prefer 28mm over the 21mm. My preference for the 28mm may however just be my preference because it suits the way I see things better. You can do exceptionally good work with a 21mm no doubt. Case in point is Magnum photographer David Allan Harvey who currently uses a 20mm on a Nikon D300: http://www.davidalanharvey.com/

At the end of the day, imho the best thing to do is to try out all the focal lengths yourself and see which you are most comfortable with. From what you say about using 28mm most often on your zoom, it may well be 28mm.

Here are some of my photos using 28mm and 21mm for your reference:

SMC-M 28mm f3.5:

SMC-A 28mm f2.8:

DA21mm:

tyzts, that's a good analysis which I fully concur.
    I have both lenses and the 28mm gives a more balanced and natural perspective.
    The 21mm adds more drama and a little more wide angle distortion.
    You can't go wrong with either one.

Now if Pentax ever comes out with a 24mm, that might be something to consider.

Creampuff:

My thoughts exactly regarding 24mm. What's more, its difficult to find used manual 24mm even on ebay. Part of the reason I'm divesting Pentax lenses now as I'm considering getting an N or C with a 24mm (or maybe 35mm on FF if I can get over the pain to my wallet)
    Last edited by tyzts; 5th November 2008 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyzts View Post
    Hi! I was just there the last 2 weeks!

Hi Night86mare,
    Alot of prime recommendations, and for good reason too.
    But let's not forget the zooms as well. They may not have the same desirability factor here but zooms allows quick composition of shots during street scenes. The Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 Macro is an excellent lens, albeit a little on the heavy side. I prefer to use this than the kit lens because of the better IQ and faster lens..
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

hi guys,

i have been trying out focal lengths with the kit lens , using it as a prime lens, and i find that 28mm on crop factor seems to be a very natural viewpoint. i'm not sure how 50mm after crop factor (or rather, aproxximately 31-35mm before crop factor) was stipulated to be the "normal view" but 28mm seems close to what i see. i suppose it is because of the fact that 50mm is stipulated to be what one sees when they concentrate, and when you are on the street, you aren't actually conecntrating.

it is regrettable that i didn't manage to grab the FA 28mm f/2.8 on sale, but i managed to lift a manual focus tokina f/2.8 from ebay uk.. waiting for it to arrive.

airconvent - certainly agree that zooms are a lot more versatile. along with the 18-50 f/2.8 offering from sigma and 17-50 f/2.8 offering from tamron it is certainly very attractive, considering that these two lenses offer a lot of value for the price, also very versatile.. i guess it depends on your style.. i find that using a prime (or a zoom like a prime) might be more conducive for point blank shooting, i.e. walking along the street and just snapping when you see something; when i use zoom i tend to end up just shooting at the longest end, due to inherent fear. a prime forces me to go closer..

i went to grab a tokina f/2.8 k mount lens off ebay just for fun, since it seemed cheap to me - 15 pounds before p&p. went to hunt around for info and didn't seem like there was anything negative; it came today, but i had trouble mounting it on both my k20d and k100d ir.

did some searching on the net, and found out that the lens had a flange issue detailed here, had no idea about this. but i just unscrewed everything, and it seems to work fine. i hope this doesn't affect anything with the functioning of the lens, it seems to work perfectly fine and it takes pictures and it's sharp and that's all i care about.

anyways, not like i'm going to use it at f/2.8, but just a sample photo i took for fun handheld at f/2.8 , iso800, 1/10 seconds handheld - definitely not any accurate way of judging but looks good enough for me!

nightmare, a lot of chance to grab cheap lens on ebay UK. I used to do that when I was there. M28/2.8 was like 30odd pound back then. (2001)

picture looks ok, but seems a little bit out of focus. maybe you may want to use split screen to focus. It certainly aid in getting manual lens lock on focus. my suggestion is to have 1 body like k20d for AF, and 1 body like your k100d setup for manual. This kind of combination is what I do.

cheerss..

A bit late, but just to share my opinion.

For me, street photography means being discreet. So any zoom, even the small kits, feels too big and conspicuous. Also, I don't really walk around holding the camera in my hands; rather, after a shoot, I tend to sling the strap across the body with the camera at my side. Then I walk on and look around till I see something I want to shoot, and unsling it (takes only a few seconds).

A zoom will bounce too much and is too awkward to walk freely like that.

So this calls for a small prime - either the 21 or 35. And that's what i do generally. The 28 is a length I haven't tried yet but seems perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hi guys,
    airconvent - certainly agree that zooms are a lot more versatile. along with the 18-50 f/2.8 offering from sigma and 17-50 f/2.8 offering from tamron it is certainly very attractive, considering that these two lenses offer a lot of value for the price, also very versatile.. i guess it depends on your style.. i find that using a prime (or a zoom like a prime) might be more conducive for point blank shooting, i.e. walking along the street and just snapping when you see something; when i use zoom i tend to end up just shooting at the longest end, due to inherent fear. a prime forces me to go closer..
    Hi
    After my experience with only primes during yesterday's Chinatown meet, I have 2 lessons to learn. In crowded areas, zooms are preferred. There was many occasion when I can't physically "zoom" because too many people around, so had to change lenses quite alot of times. I ended up with a dust on my sensor because I did not set my camera to shake during power on. Now having second thoughts about selling my Sigma 18-50mm. But the Pentax 16-50 feels so much more delicious and its just as fast (f/2.8) albeit longer in length.
    Should have borrowed someone else's one to try.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Hi
    After my experience with only primes during yesterday's Chinatown meet, I have 2 lessons to learn. In crowded areas, zooms are preferred. There was many occasion when I can't physically "zoom" because too many people around, so had to change lenses quite alot of times. I ended up with a dust on my sensor because I did not set my camera to shake during power on. Now having second thoughts about selling my Sigma 18-50mm. But the Pentax 16-50 feels so much more delicious and its just as fast (f/2.8) albeit longer in length.
    Should have borrowed someone else's one to try.
    Hmm... I prefer UWA at crowded places though. Used either 10/12mm, preset focus at 1m on the Sigma 10-20mm. The wide angle does capture a lot more stuff, but it also gives more room to crop. Since it was sunny yesterday, f5.6 was fast enough.

I tried the M 50mm, but the view and focus plane was troublesome to compose, unless you're watching it through the viewfinder. But it all boils down to your personal preference. I'd go for the DA 14, FA 77 and M/A 135 for stealth shooting.
    Brand loyalty? Pffttt...| Got Flickr?
    I shoot JPEG (got a problem with that?)

Finally, log in to clubsnap after a while.

For me personally I love the range of 21mm, the limited lens is superb and so small. But after finally getting 35mm f/2, I've changed my mind completely. It has become my main lens since first time I had it. It was great for street shoot as well, almost the same with my point of view.

its a matter of preference... nothing else...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Went for a street shoot with the 50-135/2.8 lens today. There are instances where close up shoot were not possible and the longer range of the lens help. For instance, flower beds and roads. The focus motor is very quiet and auto-focus is fast. I was actually awed by the AF speed and accuracy of this lens.

So if close up street photography is too intimidating and not possible, the 50-135 is a good lens to have. Concur with flowerpot, to each his own. I tried using the sigma 28/2.8 manual focus lens and it is absolutely disaster for me. i struggled so much with the focus/composition, the moment i was ready the subject already gone! I went home empty handed that day.
    Last edited by seefei; 18th January 2009 at 11:32 PM.
    shoot to remember. flickr

Quote Originally Posted by seefei View Post
    Went for a street shoot with the 50-135/2.8 lens today. There are instances where close up shoot were not possible and the longer range of the lens help. For instance, flower beds and roads. The focus motor is very quiet and auto-focus is fast. I was actually awed by the AF speed and accuracy of this lens.

So if close up street photography is too intimidating and not possible, the 50-135 is a good lens to have. Concur with flowerpot, to each his own. I tried using the sigma 28/2.8 manual focus lens and it is absolutely disaster for me. i struggled so much with the focus/composition, the moment i was ready the subject already gone! I went home empty handed that day.
    You're too spoilt with AF... time to go cold turkey and concentrate on focusing manually

DA21 is a nice walk-around for me too. Can get close and still can capture wide if needs be. Usually I have the luxury of moving forward but not backwards. For a general shoot, if I can only bring one prime: da21; two: da21, da70, three: da21, da35/40, da70.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

the more lens u have, the less effective u become... used 1 lens and the story is more interesting... doesn't matter what single lens u used...

so im not the effective kind...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast