Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UOB Plaza - World's tallest

Default Re: UOB Plaza - World's tallest

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    I beg differ.
    "it sucks" gives alot of opinion. He doesn't not need to substantiate himself.
    It's an opinion.
    By commenting, it's way more contribution than asking for the intepretation.

1) asking for intepretation may imply that the picture is worth a 2nd look.
    2) By saying it sucks, it already tells the TS that it's meaningless, can't be intepreted, not worth a 2nd look.

I think the TS is simply unable to take negative comments.

Being newbie is the same as being an old bird, unless of course someone wishes to point out exactly how the opinion of a newbie differs from that of an old bird.

I believe while you didn't exactly ask for C&C, the "newbie" didn't ask to make friends.

Since you want to understand comments more:
    The photo looks like rubbish
    a) UOB plaza? How to tell. Is there any meaning behind it at all?
    Not that tall? why not? are there comparable landmarks around to tell that it's not that tall?
    b) What world?
    c) Round? what thing is round? What's the proof?
    d) Composition is.. non existant.

Looking at your explanation:
    I don't get why "Same time, foregrd becomes obviously round"
    It would appear that someone doesn't have a firm grasp of physics, and I really don't think it's me. At least the only description I can think for it is abstract, short of calling it a bad piece of photoshop work..
    Short and sharp to your last para, its exactly you are looking at an ABSTRACT SECTION that its my free will of expression without conforming to the norm.

Generally, I respect your criticism but your last para....hmmm.

It amazed me despite 2605 posts and presumably an undergraduate and as senior member, you are more opt to lead by example and show better cause in forum decorum. Sadly, it is also missing. The word "rubbish" simply reflects the manneralism you embraced. Its not about whether I can't take negative. I said it again, its DECORUM. You can say "it doesn't work well for me at all" or something to that tune.

I'm not about to change the style of writing here but i find far too many articles with many mouths shooting here and there unnecessarily. Its not healthy. It's this reason that I'm not participating actively here. A case in point, someone posted a Clark Quay photo with vivid colours using a D700 and ended up being gunned down. Its it jeolousy or what? Beats me in that thread. I think its in the landscape section. We only need to browse at some overseas photo forum and you will get my meaning what is decorum. It's so pleasant if you are in it. Maybe we are lacking in English expression, I don't know, but pure simple English won't hurt either.

Like scorpioh said, no point wasting energy. BTw, to scorpioh, thanks for your comments. To those find my photo distasteful, thanks for dropping by and I will digest the positive and constructive comments.

I rest my case against those rubbish talk.
    Last edited by fresh angle; 8th November 2008 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fresh angle View Post
    This goes to show you are equally ignorant about forum decorum. I shall also excuse you as a newbie too, probably even having no idea to public behaviour protocol. I'm just not about the person to regulating how newbie should behave, its just about manners in the cyberspace, and in life. It doesn't mean no show of face can just blar out whichever way you deem fit. However, I'm not taken in by this suck words. My status of photography is bigger than this mere words. Its just point blank and demeaning and its best not to repeat on others. His just age 15 (excusable), but I'm sure your're better thinker.
    Great, now your self righteousness can suggest how i could have behave in public, you're all reading mind ya. As far from your reply is concern, you are taken in by the word and you just cannot and will not take criticism, period. What has age do with maturity or as a thinker? I have seen 50s year old uncle who act like a spoilt brat and vice versa. Do not put a stigma on anyone.

Its my prerogative to post a photo with or without commentaries. In my opinion, the picture speaks for itself. You just don't get it. I can always postpone my clarification until someone ask. But judging from a few replies, it appears my picture lacks the story. But these people (unlike poondq and now yourself) do not lack manners in seeking the meaning of the picture.
    Seriously,if that is the case, it's also our prerogative to post criticism and clarification in a latter date. It's a forum after all, when you post a photo, you expect no c&c ? must well post in shutterfly or the like or better still keep it in the closet.

the main difference between the 2nd poster reply and your egoistic reply is while "erms ...suck" is made for the comment of the photo, while yours is targeted at the individual.

You can home in a point in many ways without needing to say the most obvious if you are not lacking in vocab or gramma. I don't need to be your English teacher. "This movie sucks" is out of context here.
    read my post above.

No one force you to comment. So it appears you have no qualms using "sucks" on others. You can by all means carry on your uncultured way since you are sinking in with poondq. The take is yours.
    Again, oh.. you're such a refined and cultured person. I better take my etiquette lesson before i post, probably some social class as well.

My friend, get a life and don't over indulge yourself as so self righteous over this argument. I have no wish to continue a meaningless protracted text with you. My case stop here with you.
    And now i don't have a life! Adios... i should not see you posting here. My life is back.
    Last edited by ilikeit; 8th November 2008 at 11:01 AM.

things are blown out of proportion maybe TS should lock up the thread to avoid any undesired moderations.

anywho,i still think all users ,young or old, new or senior should practice some decorum and filter your language or try to soften up any flagrant remarks.

looking forward to closure of this thread thanks

Unseen, I could not have put it any better than what you have written. Bravo

didn't work for me...i thot the title suits the pic but after looking at the caption i think it doesnt proof anything...really really abstract!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    didn't work for me...i thot the title suits the pic but after looking at the caption i think it doesnt proof anything...really really abstract!
    Maybe I have let my imagination run too wild. Thanks

I would agree that the picture is very abstract. Nothing really special or meaningful about it.

However, it would be better if "sucks" was substantiated. I cant go around saying MM Lee sucks, unless I substantiate my arguments/claims.
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    I would agree that the picture is very abstract. Nothing really special or meaningful about it.

However, it would be better if "sucks" was substantiated. I cant go around saying MM Lee sucks, unless I substantiate my arguments/claims.
    Hahaha..... Jeez..... let's not turn this political ? heh heh heh....

Hey guys, this is just a forum ya. And frankly, postings put in the forum are expected to illicit replies, both good and bad, and in a broad spectrum of tones. We might not like the tones in some and like the tones in others, so don't take anything too hard ya.

Chill and continue to posts and continue to take photos aye ?

Have a good weekend everyone !
    Last edited by ianwurn; 8th November 2008 at 12:32 PM.
    Snap ?

Quote Originally Posted by poondq View Post
    erm sucks...
    no matter pic is good or not good, this is a Disgusting comment.
    Not constructive at all.

anyway to TS. Nice try, i feel that the world tallest part did kinda work out as the difference in height is quite sufficient to portray it.

i'm attracted by the title, good try but ermm didnt work for me either, although abstract, but to me it is not very nice if one can tell u DI with a look. I shall not go in the tech aspect, the left corner and right corner is kinda inconsistant to give the round feel, maybe you can balance the curve, the sky looks very pixelize, textured on the left side, duno if it is delibrate.

and for the #2 case, i feel it is pointless for senior or newbies to just comment something like this, if you have no constructive comments, then dont make yourself a joke for others, silence is gold.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeit View Post

the main difference between the 2nd poster reply and your egoistic reply is while "erms ...suck" is made for the comment of the photo, while yours is targeted at the individual.
    Why do I get a feeling that the rest of your comments were targetted at the TS? Trying to drive in a point using the same means.....hypocrite?

As for the picture, doesnt work for me..I think the concave effect doesnt really show that the world is round, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by iamryansaw View Post
    no matter pic is good or not good, this is a Disgusting comment.
    Not constructive at all.

anyway to TS. Nice try, i feel that the world tallest part did kinda work out as the difference in height is quite sufficient to portray it.
    Good gosh,

One of the few at least able to tell the difference in height though certainly will not surpass Taipei 101 or the futuristic Burj Dubai.

Quote Originally Posted by Benosaurous View Post
    i'm attracted by the title, good try but ermm didnt work for me either, although abstract, but to me it is not very nice if one can tell u DI with a look. I shall not go in the tech aspect, the left corner and right corner is kinda inconsistant to give the round feel, maybe you can balance the curve, the sky looks very pixelize, textured on the left side, duno if it is delibrate.
    You have pointed out correctly about the curve not even at both ends. I didn't even notice it.

On my bigger file, the extreme left and right clouds looks Ok to me. Maybe due to compression issue in web posting. Thanks for comments btw.

Quote Originally Posted by srinivasanj View Post
    Why do I get a feeling that the rest of your comments were targetted at the TS? Trying to drive in a point using the same means.....hypocrite?
    Since you pointed out, it now appears to me too. But I'm not going to dwell on this.

Quote Originally Posted by srinivasanj View Post
    As for the picture, doesnt work for me..I think the concave effect doesnt really show that the world is round, does it?
    Thanks for dropping by.
    The building was PP concave (like a chimney stack) sitting on an exaggerated curve ground.

What's wrong with commenting, "erm sucks"?

It simply represents his opinion. He's telling you it doesn't work for him, just in a more direct way. What's wrong? Do you watch American Idol? What does Simon Cowell say to auditioners who do badly?

You need to learn to take criticism in your stride. He doesn't like your picture, that's it. Singapore advocates freedom of speech - everyone is entitled to voice his own opinion. Since you're so unhappy about it, why don't you sue him for defamation?

Quote Originally Posted by Lentic View Post

It simply represents his opinion. He's telling you it doesn't work for him, just in a more direct way. What's wrong? Do you watch American Idol? What does Simon Cowell say to auditioners who do badly?

You need to learn to take criticism in your stride. He doesn't like your picture, that's it. Singapore advocates freedom of speech - everyone is entitled to voice his own opinion. Since you're so unhappy about it, why don't you sue him for defamation?
    ok, next time your kid fails at school (when you get one)

just tell them, YOU SUCK BOY, or YOU SUCK GIRL. it's direct, it's straightforward, it expresses a lot of opinion and your kid will ONLY grow up to hate you. it's not a bad result for sticking to your principles, if these are really your principles.

also, when you work, and your boss is not happy with your work even though you think you have done well, just tell him what you think of him. it's not a bad result for sticking to your guns, once again, just that i think you will have a very interesting resume.

that said, ts is not a kid, suck is alright in my book, but just saying "suck" reeks of laziness, a lack of interest in constructiveness, end of story.

i don't believe in sugar coating comments, but trying to pass off a nonsensical one-liner as an opinion is rubbish.

think of it this way, what do you think of someone who says that "the economy will make a miraculous recovery tomorrow". it's a one liner, it's nonsensical, and has nothing to back it up. i have no respect for people like that, nor people who try to defend people like that.

deadpoet does suck comments too, but he brings his game by elaborating when asked.

let's not bring simon cowell into the picture, this is a) not a reality tv show, which rarely reflects reality these days; b) not america.
    Last edited by night86mare; 9th November 2008 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentic View Post

freedom of speech is overrated; and has its boundaries. that said, of course anyone is entitled to say "suck", but people are also entitled to exercise their right to freedom of speech.. by saying that the threadstarter cannot react with prejudice to a comment he perceives as unfair is HYPOCRITICAL. are you trying to gag people with "freedom of speech"? the irony of it all.

i think too many people are misequating freedom of speech with anarchy.

another interesting point - so many new members supporting another new member.. and all relatively new to these forums. is it the school holidays, where people are too bored, and decide to go on a mudslinging spree together to amuse themselves?
    Last edited by night86mare; 9th November 2008 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    freedom of speech is overrated; and has its boundaries. that said, of course anyone is entitled to say "suck", but people are also entitled to exercise their right to freedom of speech.. by saying that the threadstarter cannot react with prejudice to a comment he perceives as unfair is HYPOCRITICAL. are you trying to gag people with "freedom of speech"? the irony of it all.

another interesting point - so many new members supporting another new member.. and all relatively new to these forums. is it the school holidays, where people are too bored, and decide to go on a mudslinging spree together to amuse themselves?
    Highly suspicious of newly subscribed people backing each other up. Perhaps they are created by the exact same person?

And in regard to the ts's photos, I found it interesting as it was a play on both words(the title) and visual (the photos). Might be rigamarole for some, but it's just fine with me.

night86mare on your reply.

This kind of debate is redundant, if suck is a way of directness and shouldn't be filtered someway or another? soon people will be using "look like crap/****" it's also direct. But impropriate in this society, unwelcoming/vulgar in a sense.

soon all the f word n nonsense etc will also come by, with excuses for being direct?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

Hm. You are insinuating that I'm a student. For all you know, I could be older than you. Also, since when was age a direct indicator of mental maturity? Clearly, you stereotype youngsters; you think that as long as someone is a kid or a teen, he/she is bound to be childish, to be immature (emotionally). You need to come to terms with the fact that THERE ARE ADULTS WHO ARE CHILDISH and there are also teens who have the mental capacity of an adult.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast